Ziady - 'Monte's our coach'

Discussion in 'Delaware Blue Hens' started by State Line Liquors, Mar 17, 2013.

1. State Line Liquors

State Line Liquors New Member

Delaware Online

Sorry if the link doesn't work. There may or may not be a pay wall.

Anyways, we won't be paying for a postseason game because we won't get anything out of it and are very disappointed with how things ended. But supposedly Monte is still our guy. Super disappointing news for men's basketball at UD.

The recently completed season was the year Monte seemed to be building for. Next season will see a drop off in productivity inside losing our two best big men. This program is going nowhere. Congrats to the rest of the league on our administrative forfeiture for the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons.
  2. pksundevil

pksundevil New Member

I think you're reading too much into it. Monte's our coach as of today, not necessarily as of tomorrow. I thought this quote contained a hint about Ziady's evaluation of his coaching ability:

"With greater expectations and a stronger finish – a best-ever 13 CAA wins – only an NCAA or NIT bid was acceptable, Ziady said."

So Ziady has pretty much said this season's results were unacceptable. I bet the Monday meeting isn't pleasant for Ross.
  3. MattUD98

MattUD98 New Member

Yeah, he also said he hadn't had a chance to sit down with Ross and evaluate the season yet. To me, this article tells us to expect an announcement this week... We can only hope
  4. State Line Liquors

I hope you folks are right.

I guess I should be grateful, and view it as a positive, that we're not throwing more good money after bad in one of these tournaments. Last year I figured it made sense to spend the money if we felt we were building towards this year. I just really don't see how we can expect better results in 13-14.

When I read that 'he's our coach', and that there was a consultation with Monte about the CBI or CIT, it just makes me incredibly nervous our AD is coming to the wrong conclusions. I would have thought the CIT/CIB rejection would have come with a pink slip handshake.
  5. pmzhen

pmzhen New Member

As much as I want to see a change, Ross isn't going anywhere. We will unfortunately have him back for at least one more season...sorry guys.
  6. gonzo

gonzo New Member

Gohens is down during one of the most heated coach discussions in years....hmm Monte Ross pull the plug on us? :)
  7. State Line Liquors

First he took away the radio call in show, now he's taken away Gohens. What will Monte take next from us...our remaining specs of basketball dignity, our distant memories of the Brey years, perhaps our first born children?
  8. DarthDave

DarthDave Active Member

It is interesting and disappointing that gohens is down when the women are playing in the tourney, it appears Ross will be back and UD will turn down a CIT/CBI bid..plenty of things to discuss.

I laid down my expectations...unless something changes and Ziady was just giving Tres some words to buy time, I have to make a decision on season tixs and donations for next year. Right now I dont plan to renew after 10 years and not donate. There will be plenty of seats to buy at a much cheaper rate.

Nothing less than a CAA title was my motto all year...we didnt even make the championship. The only thing I can think of is Ross has 2 years left. It would be much easier to buy out with 1 year instead of 2. Get the recruits on campus, give Ross a CAA title or done expectation and perhaps minimize any damage of transfers, etc if he falls short and a move is made. If Ross is back and I attend some games, it will be from the bench seats and not my comfy chairback season ticket holder seats.
  9. dovetail

dovetail New Member

Not to dunk on JMU, but how low has the CAA fallen this year?. A freakin play-in game. Hell, Bucknell has snagged an 11 seed. Hens Rock; we need you!!!!
  10. State Line Liquors

Yup Dave. A league title was a mandatory this year for me to get on board. The season was another failure.

To me it appears we'll probably just let Monte ride out the contract. Monte's not going to be able to take what returns and win the league or get an NIT. I was just really hoping someone would breath some life into things, but it appears they've decided to stick with the holding pattern. I'd like nothing more than to be excited about Blue Hen basketball, but I can't buy into this. They don't pass the eyeball test.
  11. State Line Liquors

And just think dovetail, JMU beat us all three times they played us. They're a better team than us.
  12. henfan

henfan New Member

Doesn't make sense to pay a $1M buyout to a FB coach with post-season success and let the MBB continue to skirt by without similar high expectations. If Ross isn't gone in a few days, I'll have to question Ziady's commitment to MBB and will begin to wonder if he didn't have a personal axe to grind with Keeler.

IMO, there is zero reason to keep Ross for one more day.
  13. MattUD98

MattUD98 New Member

I agree. Now is the time to let him go.
  14. Henway

Henway New Member

I doubt they will make any announcements until after the girls are done with their tourney games. They wouldn't want to distract any attention from a positive situation.
  15. Tubby Raymond

Tubby Raymond New Member

this
  16. gonzo

gonzo New Member

Delaware gets money from the CAA for JMU's win against LIU right? I have no clue about what the payout is but wouldn't this make it easier on a financial burden to cut Ross loose?
  17. Scott

Scott New Member

If Kentucky is not above accepting an NIT invite then Delaware should not be above taking an invite to the CBI or CIT. Perhaps Ziady knows that he wants/plans to let Monte go and did not want to take the chance of the team making a deep post season run.
  18. Tubby Raymond

Tubby Raymond New Member

Deep post season run, REALLY. Did you watch that team play this season. The only tournament they could make a deep season run in would be the CYM tournament, and that's been played already.
  19. dovetail

dovetail New Member

Florida Gulf Coast, a new school, pulls off a shocker. I look at that and I say "why not us?????
  20. dovetail

dovetail New Member

News Flash....Cassara out at Hofstra. Ross stays.
  21. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit New Member

Monte Ross maybe? David Henderson?
  22. BlueHenPat

BlueHenPat Member

Gonzo,

The share from JMU isn't all that much. Unless you want to supersize you're happy meal. I thought you would have known that.
  23. State Line Liquors

Should I take the lack of either the men's team or their coach at any of the recent women's team events as a positive sign?
  24. Scott

Scott New Member

I heard that Martelli was at the game and I saw Saul Rafel Frankel at the game. No word on Rafferty. I would not have a problem promoting Rafferty or Martelli to head coach if they both realize that we need to actually runs some plays on offense. The recruiting has been very good the past several years and they may be able to keep together our incoming class even if there is a coaching change.
  25. TexasHen

TexasHen New Member

Tubby Smith was just fired at Minnesota. UD could use another Tubby!
  26. State Line Liquors

Scott, not to sound like MottGirl, but I just don't see what's been so great about the recruiting classes. They certainly haven't been good enough to overcome boneheaded coaching.
  27. State Line Liquors

Monte again absent last night for the women's game against UNC...hmmm.

Is this an active recruiting period giving him a valid professional excuse for being employed and absent? Or is the writing on the wall?
  28. bluehenbillk

bluehenbillk Active Member

Good point, I didn't think of that. I talked to some extremely unhappy UD fans last night. Basically the word spreading is there was no way in hell KC was fired because of W's & L's while Monte still has a job.

The CBI/CIT turndown was a real puzzler as well.

That's why my UDAF initial contribution will be lower this year. Show me more & I'll donate more.
  29. henfan

henfan New Member

Ziady's also not inspired confidence with his silence about the UD's athletic future in recent days. I honestly don't understand why fans would want to throw their money down a back hole when the school refuses to reveal something as basic as a long-term athletic plan. PT Barnum was right.
  30. DarthDave

DarthDave Active Member

The late signing period is in April so you could very well be out recruiting. Either the guy is still the coach or not but if he's not, I imagine something would have leaked regardless of the spotlight being on the ladies.

My guess..he is on vacation or out recruiting. With 2 years left he was told he has one more year to win the CAA with Saddler as a senior. If he doesn't, buying out 1 year should be manageable.