With Elon on board, who would CoC prefer as the next Southern Expansion school?

Discussion in 'College of Charleston Cougars' started by 82hawk, May 25, 2013.

1. 82hawk

82hawk Active Member

UNCW now has a better travel schedule than it as ever had in the CAA. As the (former) southern most school, the additions of CoC and Elon create better rivalries and better travel.

So, as the now southern most school in the CAA, i'm wondering who you would prefer to add?

Athletically, Coastal Carolina seems to offer the most but has poor academics. Furman is closer but is a football school with less than 3,000 students. UNCG is a larger school with mediocre athletics and is closer to Virginia than South Carolina.

Any chance Coastal improves academically with inclusion in the CAA to the point they are viable in the next 10 years?

Curious what your thoughts are on all these schools, or others I haven't thought of.
  2. Seahawk Nation 08

Seahawk Nation 08 New Member

3. swampcougar1

swampcougar1 Member

UNCG first but why not Coastal also. Their academics not near as bad as they were a few years ago and are getting better every year. At this point any school in the Carolina's would do. Just looking at travel.
  4. SuperPatriot

SuperPatriot New Member

No way Northeastern, W&M, Drexel and UD allow Coastal. They are light years ahead of Coastal academically and I think that will be enough for the schools to stop CCU getting an invite. Personally I think they are a great fit. I still think there is a northern school coming on board and one more southern school.

I think there are several schools in play here: Furman, Wofford and UNCG are the only choices in my mind for southern additions. I think Furman and Wofford could come as a pair. UNCG isn't much stronger than CCU academically... thus I think Furman and Wofford are the favorites.
  5. swampcougar1

swampcougar1 Member

I do not see Stanford, Vandy, Northwestern and Duke being academic snobs when it comes to sports. If the schools you mentioned only want to play other academic schools they should start their own Ivy league. NCAA admission requirements the same for all schools.
  6. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

Not so sure about that. We existed with ODU and VCU in the league. I don't think Coastal is that different.
  7. SuperPatriot

SuperPatriot New Member

VCU and ODU are national research universities with millions in research funding. VCU has a very strong medical school. ODU has an endowment of almost $200M and VCU of almost $500M. Coastal Carolina's endowment? $17M. It's more than average SAT and gpa that I am talking about here... This about the entire academic profile...research, endowment, faculty, enrollment profile and size is just a small piece of this. Coastal doesn't have the resources to show it can get significantly stronger in the short term. Long term... absolutely! NU, UD, Drexel, W&M... they will feel they have a lot more in common with Furman, Wofford and UNCG then Coastal when looking at the whole academic profile (UNCG is stronger than I originally gave them credit after more research). Consider the CAA Academic Alliance. That matters. CofC and President Benson specifically spoke of it when they joined.

As for Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern and Duke... Name me one school in their respective conferences that is on Coastal's level when you look at the whole academic profile? Do you think the Big 10, Pac12, or ACC wouldn't be snobby about blocking a Coastal from joining their conference? I know they would. They might be the snobbiest conferences in the NCAA.
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  8. GACoug

GACoug Member

I'd rather see Mercer than G, Wofford, or Furman. Belmont would be a good add, but I don't see that happening for a variety of reasons.
  9. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

Maybe so. I'm really not that famliar with Coastal other than knowing they compete in the Big South, have fielded tourney teams in FCS, NCAA BB and baseball - and have played in football recently with UR and JMU.

Just surpised I guess on the how awful they can possibly be as a consideration.
  10. trojcofc

trojcofc Member

UNCG or Mercer

Though Mercer may have a better all-sports profile than G right now that could change in the future. There is no reason UNCG cannot be more successful in the future they simply need to make better personnel decisions.

UNCG is also about 6 hours closer as far as the geographic footprint is concerned, which is not an insignificant amount.

I still believe that UNCG could be a sleeping giant if they could just get their act together.
  11. bricksnivy

bricksnivy Member

ACC and Big 10 are the top two academic conferences that are competitive in athletics. I’m not familiar with Stanford or the Pac 10/12. Vandy may be the exception, in that that are the top academic university within their conference and second isn’t close. With that said, there was interest from Vandy to make a move last year, to the ACC, and I presume the struggle was b/w SEC money and ACC academics.

As to UNCG being a sleeping giant, I’d love to hear what factors you’re considering. Commuter campus with off-campus, rented basketball facility in an unattractive city.