Why did we hire a former UNC academic staffer? Way to go Bass.....

Discussion in 'UNCW Seahawks' started by Hawk so hard, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Hawk so hard

Hawk so hard New Member

So we hired a UNC academic counselor for our student athletes in Jan?? Don't you think our athletic administration would have known about her discretion's? Typical move from Bass. Looking after his contacts at the detriment of UNCW. Way to go, buddy.
  2. geezerhawkdad

geezerhawkdad Member

She was only making $33,500. Someone who was held in a prison in North Korea from 2010-2014 must have read her resume and looked at her previous positions.
  3. 82hawk

82hawk Active Member

Ms. Cottonball....is that you?
  4. Hawk so hard

Hawk so hard New Member

Not any Cottonballs on this lad. Just upset with the way things are running over there in Athletics and hiring someone that was the root of UNC's issues is a disgrace to my alma mater.
  5. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

I like the name "Hawk so hard"! They did get rid of this individual once it became apparent. We need to stay clear of potential problems now that we are in good shape once again.
  6. SEA33HAWK

SEA33HAWK Active Member

You can bash Bass all you want, but if you look at the overall success of our athletics, you'll realize you're losing the argument. Upgraded facilities and championships are rolling in. And don't think I'm defending anybody. Just looking at the whole picture.
  7. Hawk so hard

Hawk so hard New Member

Upgraded facilities? Please tell me how in any way, shape, or form has Bass had anything to do with that. Tuition hikes pay for most of them (courtesy of Chancellors office) and what has been upgraded other than softball? Soccer? Baseball? Basketball? Tennis? That elaborate plan he came up with to enhance the facilities seems more like smoke and mirrors. Coaches that were there long before him are winning the championships (and they are still underpaid and under appreciated). I am looking at the whole picture and have been for 10+ years. Would love to see just how successful our programs could be if they had first class facilities, fully funded scholarships and coaches who were paid and appreciated.
  8. SEA33HAWK

SEA33HAWK Active Member

I've followed UNCW sports since before Trask was there. And probably well before you were born. It took a very long time to build just the basketball program into a real deal. Only for two lawyers, an AD, a Chancellor and their cronies to destroy it. And while it has been a monumental struggle to right the ship in basketball, better improvements have been made throughout the athletic dept. I've seen puppet coaches replaced by coaches that actually have the drive and the know how to make a difference. Volleyball has always had to play in an oven. It now has a/c, along with a successful program for the first time. We have nationally ranked teams in tennis and soccer. Baseball is knocking on the door. Scalf finally got a raise a few years back and more facility improvements are coming. Including an in-door practice facility that is long overdue.
    And the Chancellor's office may help when it decides to, but it is the AD who has to sell the ideas for approval. UNCW gets the least monies within the UNC system to work with. And the tuition money going to athletics is one of the lowest in the country. That leaves a big burden on the AD, working with boosters to accomplish what is truly needed. I wouldn't know if you contribute financially to the program. I hope you do more than go on a fan board and bash said program.
    ezrider likes this.
  9. Proff

Proff Active Member

Well said 33. Remind me to buy you one the next time I see you.
    ezrider and SEA33HAWK like this.
  10. Hawk so hard

Hawk so hard New Member

Obviously neither of you understand UNCW Athletics and how it works over there. Who are the puppet coaches you are referring to? Garrity? Cooper Dyke? Also, what has he done with boosters to build the program and increase season tickets? Budgets would be more if the Seahawk Club would actually go out and raise some money. I would love to know how much the Seahawk Club has raised and how much Jimmy has raised since he has been there. Perhaps Prof and Sea33hawk can find out for us, since they seem to have their finger on the pulse.

Also, if you think that someone's job is justified because they got AC in a gym, come on now...that had to be done because it was a health hazard and that was not on the back of great leadership by Athletic Admins...and it seems as though if soccer and tennis are playing so well, they would be rewarded with improvements to their facility's and scholarships.
  11. SEA33HAWK

SEA33HAWK Active Member

I am too old and you are apparently too young for me to do the research for you. I quit doing that some time back. Do your own homework. I can tell you have no clue by asking such lame questions. I will tell you there have been puppets, including a past AD.
    Seahawk4Him likes this.
  12. Hawk so hard

Hawk so hard New Member

So you speak without doing your own research? That makes a lot of sense. Perhaps you should read this guys blog, seems as though he has a lot of thought provoking questions you can learn from. http://zealousstudy.blogspot.com/
  13. SEA33HAWK

SEA33HAWK Active Member

Really??? You use a person that is part of the program you're bitching about? Now, that's priceless. And as far as homework goes, I've done my homework on UNCW athletics for the past 40+ years. And rookies like you come and go. I'm still here.
    Seahawk4Him likes this.
  14. 82hawk

82hawk Active Member

Keatts is here because of Jimmy Bass. He was highly sought after, but ended up here.
    Scalf got a well deserved raise because of Jimmy Bass.
    Membership in the Seahawk Club and donations to the athletic department dropped to almost nothing, Jimmy Bass worked hard to put new people in place and the Seahwak Club is thriving again with increased membership and donations.
    Bass and his staff put together an athletics improvement plan that is a first of its' kind at UNCW. Those plans focus on baseball, soccer and tennis, and are designed to meet standards that would allow us to host regional semi-finals. Donors can now see where they are putting their money.
    Bass has pressed through increased student fees to bring UNCW in the direction of at least competing with other CAA foes financially. We are still at or near the bottom, but moving in the right direction.
    Under Bass, we have gone from the embarrassment of NCAA sanctions, back to a school recognized for our STUDENT athletes and back at the top.
    We are advancing in almost all sports based on wins and losses. Baseball, soccer, volleyball, tennis are all competitive at a high level and looking to improve further.

Not exactly sure what you expect from an AD, but from all I know Bass is doing the best that can be done with a very limited budget at a school without football.
    SEA33HAWK likes this.