Where to from here?

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by MedicSBK, Apr 27, 2016.

1. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

So I wanted to see where everyone thinks that this team is headed. We finally got a long overdue change in leadership with the program. Our top guard going into the 2016-17 season is transferring, which is not at all surprising based on what I saw from him on the sidelines. I hate to see him go. Our remaining streaky shooter from the 2015-2016 season is on his way out the door. The team as of now looks something like this:

PG - Canaday / London
    SG - Overton
    SF - Fields
    PF - Rodney Williams / Austin Williams
    C - Mohammed Bah / Tyshawn Myles

We are not left with much for shooters. As far as I know, based on the way that his injury was managed, Fields will not be eligible for a medical red shirt from last season so we've lost that year of eligibility from him. Canaday is a wildcard as he has not played basketball in two seasons. Overton has promise but we have not seen him on the court yet. That leaves us Rodney to carry the team and a front court that beyond him is not very flashy.

This brings me to recruiting classes. According to Verbal Commits Drexel has two letters of intent signed so far: Sam Green, a 2 star 6'6 shooting forward, and Jeremy Peck, a 6'8 2 star "power forward" who lacks bulk but has a decent touch from the outside. Beyond that, however, this team had no front court targets to the answer to the question of "who takes over in the front court?" is currently unanswered.

I'm anxious to see what Spiker does with recruiting. He's hired an associate head couch who will hopefully help him in the process, but the building of the team from here on out will be interesting. Spiker did a good job with limited to non-existent recruiting ability at Army. He coached the team, so I'm anxious to see what he can do here with someone who CAN recruit by his side.

So what does everyone think? Will Field and Overton be enough? What's the answer in the front court? Can Canaday fill the role of point guard in a system where it might be a little more involved?
  2. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Just a quick correction:

On further inspection of the rule, as long as Fields' injury occurred before the first game of the second half of the season, he should be eligible for a medical redshirt. His last game played was against Elon on January 2. The half way point in the Dragons' season was a week later against C of C.

Fingers crossed...
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

I don't know the rules, but I thought the deadline for an injury redshirt was significantly earlier than the midpoint. Do you have a link?
  4. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

5. spearsie

spearsie Member

Wow, pretty thin in the backcourt. Fields and Overton have some talent, but the shooting is going be dreadful. Well, we are Drexel fans, so we should be used to it after the last couple of years.