UMass Football

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by WMTribe90, Jun 10, 2014.

1. WMTribe90

WMTribe90 New Member

http://ht.ly/3lAgX9

Author needs to proofread, but the article is a cautionary tale for others considering the jump. UMass football is in a real bad spot now. They're out of the MAC after the 2015 season and no other conference seems to be clamoring to take them. Life as an independent would be a huge financial drain and playing in the far-flung Sunbelt wouldn't be much better.

If UMass was smart they would come back to the CAA in 2016 instead of going the independent route. That's highly unlikely, so my guess is they'll bleed red ink until they shutter the program or gut the rest of the AD to keep it afloat.
  2. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

Personally, I'd like UMass to return and I assume Albany, SBU, UNH, and Maine would welcome them.
  3. hktribefan

hktribefan Active Member

If you're FBS and not in one of the big 5 conferences you have to choose which sport will take precedence, football or basketball. Even at the former BCS conferences you have to choose, but decisions are not always as detrimental to the sport not chosen. ODU went all in with football and their bball team was kind of neglected. UMass is taking the other route.
  4. trbefn

trbefn New Member

With UMass ' hoops history , Dr.J and others it makes more sence to put the cents into basketball . They have been much more relevant in basketball than they probably will ever be in football.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  5. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

Mass has been nothing but a royal pain in the butinski to the rest of the country ever since the Boston Tea Party! Who cares what they do?
  6. tribe_pride 2

tribe_pride 2 Active Member

I thought that UMass had always been strong as anything in basketball but just looked and in reality, they haven't been that strong in Bball recently either. They made the tournament this year but immediately lost to #11 Tennessee. Before that, they had not made the tournament since 1998 and hadn't won a game in the tournament since 1996 when Calipari coached them to the Final Four. Those wins were later vacated for Calipari being Calipari but I will still count them.