UD & Delaware media asleep at the wheel

Discussion in 'Delaware Blue Hens' started by henfan, Mar 28, 2013.

1. henfan

henfan New Member

With all that's happened to the CAA and FCS FB in the last several weeks, not a peep has come from the UD AD or the Delaware media regarding the future of UD athletics. While I'm not surprised that the UD has again arrogantly failed to keep its supporters informed, the News Journal and WDEL specifically have done the public a great disservice by not pushing the school to provide answers on the school's direction.

This is probably the most critical time in UD sports since the late 1970's and they've chosen to clam up. WTF!
  2. State Line Liquors

State Line Liquors New Member

I was wondering that myself henfan. Seems that women's basketball euphoria has outshined any other potential UD athletics coverage.

With Gohens completely in the $hitter as well, it's feels great having such a robust 4th Estate covering UD.
  3. superman7515

superman7515 New Member

I emailed both KT and Ziady yesterday. KT said he's been too busy with women's basketball to worry with any of little conference stuff, Ziady said there was no need for a statement from UD because UD hadn't done anything.
  4. State Line Liquors

In short, there's nothing to report, so there's no reason for an article or statement about it.

Go Fightin' Delle Donne's!
  5. superman7515

superman7515 New Member

Basically. Right or wrong, that's up to you, but that was gist of it.
  6. State Line Liquors

I'm not shooting the messenger or really even the sender. Just summarizing.
  7. henfan

henfan New Member

Of course what's going on right now with the FCS & CAA potentially dwarfs the significance of that hoops win but, hey, whatever. It's only the future of UD athletics at peril.
  8. bluehenbillk

bluehenbillk Active Member

UD Football has been getting the shaft from the Admin for the last half-decade that's for sure. I'm extremely cool to our new AD so far, glad he towed the line somewhat on ticket prices & donations but I see another attendance drop brewing for 2013 unless they do a 180 & become proactive. Seriously there are hardcore fans I know that haven't sent in their $$ yet because they either haven't made up their minds or have decided to go elsewhere on fall Saturdays.

I renewed but I'm going back to the one FBS game a year now that the kids are older, my DSU tickets will be sold or given away this fall.

The N-J or WDEL doesn't surprise me at all - they have the WBB team to cover & they deserve the coverage - they're both small-time operations, I mean seriously the only 2 reporters that could cover the story are KT & Martin Frank. The Daily News in Philly is on the verge of bankruptcy yet again & they have almost 10 times the staff.
  9. gonzo

gonzo New Member

Could it be that this is a special moment for the women's team that probally won't ever happen again. Let them have their moment in the sun before they muddy the waters with talks about coach firings and potential conference happenings?
  10. henfan

henfan New Member

How would issuing a general press release about the conference situation negatively impact the women's team's "special moment"? If our AD is that incapable of multi-tasking, we've got bigger issues than I thought.
  11. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

I feel your pain.
  12. pksundevil

pksundevil New Member

If there's nothing to say, there's nothing to say. Reporting what other schools are doing doesn't change what UD is or isn't going to do. The lack of news coverage is not going to change any potential outcome. I'd rather have blanket coverage of the women's team this week. I'm sure Ziady is having the conversations he needs to have on conference stuff.
  13. henfan

henfan New Member

WTF, pksundevil? Since when did the media's primary reason for existing become influencing outcomes? Their primary function is keeping the public informed, period.

Are we suppose to guess that Ziady is on top of this based on speculation? UD's hardly been the most aggressive at responding to conference realignment. Wouldn't it just be good policy to keep the public informed by making some public comment, no matter how brief, as has several other FCS schools, including JMU? Having nothing to say to me translates that you have no plan or you have so much contempt for your supporters that you feel you don't need to keep them informed.

Tresolini is eventually going to get around to covering the topic, unless the WBB makes an improbable run past this weekend. WDEL is just asleep. There's no other media in the state to speak of. I've got no problem with 4 days of feel good articles & radio reports about the WBB's team. They deserve the accolades but not at the expense of coverage of an important issue like the very future of BH athletics.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013