Tribe Interested in David Cohn

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by mrjoolius, Apr 10, 2014.

1. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

"Wolves alum Col St FR CG transfer David Cohn has Ill St - St Louis - Miami of Ohio - William & Mary - Furman - NIU - as early inquiries"

David was a 2013 target that signed with Colorado State. Apparently the tribe is still interested with news of his transfer.
  2. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

There are also rumors of us chasing a couple of big men...perhaps we'll learn more at the basketball dinner this evening.

Cohn was a major high school flash in the Chicago area---making first team All-Chicago Area and All-State with a dozen offers from Division I schools including schools like St.Louis and Dayton (and W&M).
    But do we need another guard right now...but in the CAA, a guard-oriented league, some say you can never have enough of them.
  3. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

As a transfer, Cone would have to sit out a year, which would make him, effectively, a part of the incoming Class of 2015 - perhaps by then we could use another guard. And, he would be able to practice with the team next year which would be very helpful given the fact that next year, for the first time in five years Tribe will not have any non-scholarship walk-ons to help out in practice.
  4. LeadBolt

LeadBolt Member

Do we have any reason to believe Devonte Dedmon may either walk on or not for basketball? I have seen speculation on this board, but don't know if there is anything behind it.
  5. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

Wouldn't he be considered part of the 2014 class? He would sit next year (his true sophomore year) and be eligible in 2015 as a redshirt sophomore. Same as Paul Rowley & company.
  6. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

Rowley and company are going to be eligible to play in Fall 2014, unless some of them are Redshirted.
  7. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

I understand that. I'm saying Rowley and Co, & Cohn will be sophomores eligibility wise for the 2015 season. Same graduating class.
  8. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

I got ya Mr J------------my misunderstanding of your point.
  9. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

Coaches confirmed they are pushing hard to get fifth scholarship filled. Nobody will confirm or deny, other than smiles, that they are on the trail of a big center. That rumor continues to circulate.
  10. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

I think they are done recruiting 2014 high school kids. I'm pretty sure they are looking into Jucos, postgraduate, or transfers to round out next year's roster. I guess we'll have to see by the late signing period if they are successful.
  11. Blow Gym rat

Blow Gym rat New Member

My hope is that they've got a big they're very interested in, and that the feeling is mutual, and that it's been that way for quite some time. Otherwise, I just can't understand their (seeming) lack of interest in pursuing any true big men this recruiting season. (Rowley has great potential, but will need to fill out some before he can really be a banger inside).
  12. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

I agree there is a great need for inside depth. However, as we discussed, Rowley is more in the Gaillard mold than the inside banger. I'd be surprised if he spends much time at all with his back to the basket. IMHO, he is at his best hitting 3's on ball reversal and facilitating the offense at the high post. For this team, that role is very important. Fred, Tim, & Sean all did a pretty good job of passing out of the high post. However, none of them was a consistent threat to score from there. This is an advantage for the D if they can sag off and pack the lane without consequence. If he is the shooter we hope he is, opposing bigs cannot sag off of him. This eliminates help & opens the lane for backdoor cuts and Marcus drives. Not to mention his passing and ball handling should be a challenge for opposing bigs on the perimeter. The concern is what it is most years... The team being manhandled on the offensive glass. Paul seems a willing rebounder but doesn't have the build of Sean. I hope Whitman has been working on packing on Lbs this off-season. He could be that missing piece.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  13. X-Tribe

X-Tribe New Member

And Tarpey really needs to improve his shooting. It really hurts when your 3 man doesn't even look at the basket beyond 15 feet. If he was even an average shooter, last year's team would have been really hard to guard. The same will be true for next year.
  14. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

This has baffled me. Coming out of high school, Tarpey was considered a scorer and decent shooter. In college, most of his points come off hustle plays (steals, tips, follow ups). Maybe it's a maturity /confidence thing? I think we will see him more aggressive offensively this coming season.
  15. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

I saw a bunch of the Basketball team at the Spring Game on Saturday; Rusthoven, Whitman, Schlotman, Dixon, and Prewitt.

Tim and Jack were standing next to each other. I was surprised at how much more muscular Jack is, in both arms and legs, than Tim is. Standing next to each other, Tim looked downright skinny in comparison. Because of the Redshirt, Jack has four years of eligibility starting in the Fall of 2015.
  16. TribeInTheBurg

TribeInTheBurg New Member

Sounds like Jack got some Sauer Power!
  17. WMH51004

WMH51004 New Member

I sat between Jack and Mike Schlotman at the basketball banquet. Both very nice young men. Jack said he has been lifting weights since he arrived and has put on weight. He is anxious to play after redshirting this past season. He said he is comfortable playing center or forward and will spend the summer working on his ball skills. I spoke with one of the graduating seniors who was very high on Mike and thought he would be really good as a true point guard and who sees the whole court. I think both will have an impact on next year's team.
  18. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

His AAU coach tweeted:
    "Wolves alum David Cohn will visit William & Mary April 21-22 and Miami of Ohio April 25-27"
  19. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

AAU coach tweeted:
    "Wolves alum CG David Cohn will attend William & Mary"

Looks like the last scholarship is filled.
  20. billymac

billymac New Member

21. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

Also...

"Lucas Pienowski of P. Henry says college decision could come this wk. Considering multiple D3s for hoops or UVA/William & Mary for academics"

6'7 all district forward
  22. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

What does this have to do with David Cohn???

Haven't we given out all of the scholarships available??
  23. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

No, we have a fifth scholarship remaining. Cohn visited W&M about a week ago.
  24. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

My mistake. I meant to post that to the 2014 thread. Cohn would be a scholarship. I believe it was our last remaining. This Lucas kid, if he picks W&M, would be a walk on (academic scholarship) .
  25. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

A little curious about the Cohn addition. He is definitely a talented guard. But, we have a big logjam at guard on this roster, and expecially that year.

Graduating in 2018
    Tot (pg/sg)
    Schlotman (pg)
    Cohn (pg)
    Burchfield (sg)
    Malinowski (sg)
    Rowley (sf)
    Whitman (pf)
  26. TribeHeart

TribeHeart Active Member

27. TribeHeart

TribeHeart Active Member

28. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2042986-colorado-state-guard-david-cohn-transfers-to-william-mary

Appears to be a done deal.

Cone will have three years of eligibility remaining after next season when he can not play as a transfer.
    This young man was highly recruited out of high school by schools like St.Louis, Bradley, Dayton and seven or eight others before going to Colorado State. Was H.S. first team Chicago Tribune All-Illinois. Known as a slasher and three-point shooter.

Supposedly chose us over offer from UVA last week.

Will obviously add to a strong mix of guards, especially coming in to play his first year of eligibility the year after Marcus graduates.

This kid will make practice sessions all that more competitive next winter.
  29. hktribefan

hktribefan Active Member

Upside to all the guards is we will always have fresh legs!
  30. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

Hadn't thought about that, but that is a good idea to redshirt whichever true freshman guard needs the most maturing. There are just too many guys in the guard spots that contribute to give out fair minutes. Are we going 3 guards the majority of the time? Maybe that is the plan.

Thornton - sr
    Tarpey - jr
    Prewitt - soph
    Dixon - soph
    Tot - fr
    Schlotman - fr
    Malinowski - fr
    Burchfield - fr
    Cohn - fr