to fire or not to fire

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by warpig, Nov 28, 2015.

1. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Students at Harvard and Yale though, they're not doers. And the Naval Academy, and West Point? Watchers, all.
  2. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

The next place he turns to is the Innovation Neighborhood and then Frytropolis (the capping of the rail yards). Then there is also the redevelopment of the old U City High School. I was very high on Fry when he came in, but there have been things not really rubbing me the right way over the past year or so. One was an article in The Triangle where students voiced displeasure with the Library and the prospects of building a new one as Temple is. The response

Fry said that constructing a new library, as Temple University is doing, would be ideal but cannot be paid for and the library’s structure makes phased closing and renovation impractical.

This is pretty close to the same answer we’ve received regarding an arena. In the same article he praises the demolition of the Intercultural Center for a hotel because

“the privately owned hotel that will be replacing the Intercultural Center is to pay the University a substantial ground rent”

That’s the same method that was used to get Chestnut Square and The Summit built and I believe that’s how the aforementioned UCHS and Innovation Neighborhood are planned as well. If there is one thing I’ve realized during my time as a student and alumnus, if Drexel really wants something, they find a way to get it done. If they wanted to address student concerns regarding the Library, there’d be a story about a large donation within a couple of days. I think the same is true for an arena. Right now, it seems the school is more interested in being a real estate broker and making money off of that. The other issue revolves around getting students on campus. Chestnut Square, The Summit and U Crossings are all managed by American Campus Communities with the land the buildings are on owned by Drexel. ACC pays Drexel rent for the land as the new hotel will do. How do you keep ACC, a publically traded company, happy? Change up residency rules requiring more students to live in University approved housing (which, ACC managed properties are) and instituting a ten mile radius to be eligible to commute. I went to Drexel because of the co-op and because I could commute, keeping my and my parent’s (staring down the barrel of 12 years of helping pay for college) costs down. I lived close enough to a train station that I would walk and ride in to campus. I would have been outside the 10 mile radius and forced to live on campus. I probably would have chosen to go to Lehigh instead (where I would have a no win team but a win over Duke in the NCAAs to pacify me. Damn you Fry for not starting at Drexel in 2001). But I’ve dragged this far off topic, so fire Bru, fire Zillmer and let the titles rain down upon us.

Dude has a library named after him, which I think is the highest honor you can have bestowed upon you, so he couldn’t have been wrong.
  3. dan10

dan10 Active Member

They are definitely interested in being real estate brokers, that has been made very clear. I dont think they will ever get rid of all commuters because of ease of transportation to the city and Drexel in particular and lower costs by not living in the city. But building the new resident halls etc was always a goal to help bring more people on campus geared towards turning away the perception of being a commuter school. That part doesn't bother me as much as it does you, because it did not apply to me. I went there purely for the co-op program and the degree.

You might be right that he will keep avoiding it and keep buying more property to lease out, but I guess I still hold out some hope that once these major projects are done it would lead him to looking in the athletics direction, which I wouldnt think is too far away. I dont think anyone has said by firing both all of a sudden we are a title team. Without the right hires for AD and head coach we may have similar results as we are getting now. We dont know. All we know is what we have now is not working and truly has not ever worked, and the powers that be dont care.
  4. DrachenFire

It only bothers me in that it seems they are forcing students into ACC properties to help ACC make a profit off of student loans, and the last line was a joke trying to get things back on topic. I do still hold out some hope that as major projects are completed they'll look that way, but it takes time and a plan and all of the land seems to be spoken for. The renovations at the DAC, including the grand new entrance, and it being described as "boutique" lead me to believe that it'll be at least a decade once it's all finished before maybe thinking about something else. Where would a new facility go? I haven't even gotten into how, beyond facilities, we're falling behind with our dithering on cost of attendance.

I hate feeling like this. I was really down on the program at the end of last year and had gotten myself pumped up a bit thinking we'd be better than what most people thought. I even told MetSox when I submitted my SJU preview that I thought Drexel may steal that game. Now I'm right back where I was and it pisses me off. I really believe we could be great.
  5. warpig

warpig Active Member

interesting discussion especially since i've been on campus twice in the last 6 years. one of those was in june and i hadn't slept in over 24 hours so it doesn't really count.

it's funny you mentioned the lehigh-duke game. i was lucky enough to be there. imagine what something like that would do for the popularity of sports on our campus. it was a great feeling standing there in a lehigh shirt with all those duke fans (and carolina fans which made it that much worse for duke). i can't imagine what it would've felt like in a drexel shirt.

i watched an interested documentary last night called "ivory tower". it basically talked about what a scam college is. sadly...drexel has done just about everything you'd expect from a school that is more interested in money. they're building more fancy buildings, forcing people into dorms (that's crazy!), shifting more programs online, opening satellite campuses on the other side of the country, and i'm sure other things you guys know better than i do.
  6. philcski

philcski Active Member

Our facilities and ticket sales still deserve a solid F (fan engagement in general is terrible), but I disagree on the conference affiliation. This league, outside of Drexel, is actually really good this year if you haven't noticed. Not only do three teams have wins over good BCS programs but the overall rank is the easily the highest of the "true" mid-majors at 10th (i.e. not the football 5, Big East, Mountain West, AAC, or A-10) and well ahead of the league our former mate ran off to, C-USA. You really can't expect us to be in a better conference than the CAA at this point, can you? The A-10 would be the only logical step up, and they already have two teams in Philadelphia and quite frankly have no reason to select us in any future expansion.

Newsflash, nobody wants this program, we are lucky to even be in a league this respectable.
    Water Boy likes this.
  7. philcski

philcski Active Member

Never getting over the hump and into the NCAA tournament is the killer for me. That's all that really matters for a program like ours. We had our chances and while '07 was one of the worst snubs I've ever seen in the history of the tournament, the simple fact is we are 0-15 under Bruiser, and that's unacceptable. He's gotta go, either now or at the end of the season, I don't care. This season is already over.
  8. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

[​IMG]
    … season was over before it started
  9. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

[​IMG]
    "What are you gonna do?"
  10. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Allow me to share my thoughts as a new season ticket holder...

Conference Affiliation: B-

I think that the CAA is a good fit for us. The problem though is that we are in the exact same place as we were when VCU GMU etc were all here. We have not capitalized on their absence. We were close to the top on a few different occasions when they were there, and should have pounced once they were gone. We did not. I think that we had the tools on the court to be able to do that, we lacked the coach to be able to accomplish it.

TV Deal: D

I've only been in the area for 3 years. I wish that I saw more Drexel games on TV but you can still catch quite a few games online one way or another and for me that counts for something.

Facilities: C

The DAC is not the nicest gym/arena that you are going to find in the conference. Not even close. One of the problems is when you are in the middle of a city like Drexel is, it is more challenging to find land to build on. That is one big advantage that a school like Delaware (SUCKS) has with their location. The improvement to the seating is noted. The concession stands are a nice addition as well IMHO. Next up: Let's improve the season ticket holder area. Its nice that they do something at halftime but WHERE they do it could be considerably better. The staff tries to be helpful but I should not have to show my ticket to three different people to get to my seat. They are, however, friendly so really I am okay with it. In summary the facilities aren't great but they have improved over the years.

Ticket Sales: F

I hate an empty DAC. Hate it, hate it, hate it. A lack of winning (i.e. 0-15 in attempts to make the big dance) will do that though. This team needs a new direction. For the TEAM to get a new direction they need a coach. I agree that Zilmer needs to go but Bruiser will be much easier to replace than him. Zilmer has a lot of other successes in other programs to hang his hat on. Bruiser on the other hand is a disaster.
  11. warpig

warpig Active Member

I woke up at 4:30, couldn't sleep, so I flew through temple-houston(too many first quarter turnovers) in time to see the second half of the lasalle game. All we did was beat a pathetic program that played bad even by their standards.

As expected, Drexel MBB tweets out some fabricated "milestone" that bruiser is the first Drexel coach to beat all the big 5 teams. I rode all the roller coasters at Busch gardens including the one that stops right before the big drop. Where's my $500k a year coaching job? It only took me a day instead of 15 years.

Back into hiding for me. Nothing will change. We needed to fire bruiser last week because now it will never happen...especially since we might beat Penn too.

And that lasalle program I called pathetic...even they have an NCAA tournament run to their credit. What does that make us?
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

As a Hofstra fan, Hofstra and Drexel have similarities like no CAA Tournaments won. Hofstra used to have many more games on TV than they do now including some on MSG with announcers specifically for Hofstra. New York City has four regional sports networks, and it's annoying when one of them is showing a game between two far away teams in a great conference while Hofstra isn't on TV. That happens because the regional sports network has to pay the conference for the rights to games, but doesn't need to use their own employees like they would to show Hofstra on their own. Out of Hofstra's 18 CAA games in 2015-2016, 2 are on national TV on NBC Sports Network, 3 are on SNY and I'm assuming other Comcast channels, and 3 are on the American Sports Network, which isn't a channel but sometimes provides programming to SNY. Another annoying thing is when Hofstra isn't on TV and at that time there is a different CAA game on TV that I might watch if it wasn't at the same time as Hofstra. Drexel has 3 games each on CSN and American Sports Network, with none on NBC Sports Network, so they will be on TV less than Hofstra. TV deals are done by conferences, so you can't evaluate Conference Affiliation and TV deal separately. FYI the CAA now streams all Men's Basketball games online for free, with possible exceptions if the game is on TV. It used to depend on the school.

I think Hofstra and Drexel should stay in the CAA. Here are other conferences with schools in the northeast:

Big East (too difficult)
    Atlantic 10 (too difficult)
    American Athletic (9 out of 11 opponents would require long bus rides or flights, the only teams anywhere near Drexel are Connecticut and Temple)
    Metro Atlantic Athletic (near the CAA in quality but has most Christian schools)
    Ivy League (obviously not an option)
    Patriot League (was better than the CAA last season but worse than the CAA in the five seasons before that)
    Northeast (much worse than the CAA)
    America East (much worse than the CAA)

The CAA and Metro Atlantic Athletic (MAAC) have been 3 or fewer spots apart in the Conference RPI in four of the last six seasons. During that time the CAA has an average Conference RPI rank of 15.3 and the MAAC has an average Conference RPI rank of 16.5.

When the CAA had 12 teams, it did not have divisions because George Mason would have to have been in the North with the other four Virginia schools in the South. Now the CAA teams' locations would make divisions easily (Towson as the southernmost team in the North and James Madison as the northernmost team in the South), but everybody can play everybody twice so there's no need for divisions.
  13. RGS

RGS Member

I respect your points, but fundamentally disagree. Its a shame a more positive message isn't getting out there. Fry is doing a number of good things to set us up for future success and growth and he is passionate about Drexel being an outstanding, influential university. Some of these changes will take some time. Don't get too distracted by the new buildings and residence halls. His strategic plan is solid and speaks to our true competitive advantage. If you look at his leadership through the lens of men's basketball, you are really selling him short. I'm torn on Zillmer. I'm actually pretty pleased with our performance in most sports, including women's basketball.
  14. philcski

philcski Active Member

Agree with your logic Evan. For Drexel, Hofstra, and Northeastern, we have only three moves possible:

1) MAAC: Generally a step down, but still quality; however the schools are generally much smaller and religious-affiliated
    2) A-10: A step up, maybe not as much as people think- VCU finished 2nd their first two years in the league with CAA players and Davidson first last year with SoCon players, however there has to be a mutual desire and I don't see any reciprocity from the A-10
    3) Stay: The CAA has had a few down years but I do think we have turned a corner... with a great season, there is still the possibility of an at-large bid even this year. Easily the right choice.
  15. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

I'm assuming you separated Delaware and Towson because they play football, but what options for conferences would they have that Drexel, Hofstra, and Northeastern do not? The Northeast would be a step down and so would the Patriot League. Even if the American Athletic wanted them, Delaware and Towson would struggle there in multiple sports and I don't know if their stadiums are big enough for FBS football.
  16. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

While they might have bigger aspirations (and should) UDEL plays FCS football right now.

I think that the CAA is a good fit for Drexel I just think that the game plan needs to change to see that.
  17. DrachenFire

Sucks does not have further ambitions as they won't pay Cost of Attendance. Towson is offering for the basketball programs and, I'd guess, would for football if a move up possibility presented itself.
  18. DBALL

DBALL Active Member

As soon as they stop comparing themselves to Big 5 teams, the better. Big 5 teams have no bearing on anything, tourney appearances do.
  19. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

20. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Ah the memories. That was my freshman year went to our game the following year down there, glad I was not at that one. Sadly it is one of his highlights while here as far as accomplishments go.
  21. DrachenFire

Ugh at that second one. Down 1 at VCU with 18 seconds left. Cost the team a chance to at least tie, let VCU ultimately finish 4th meaning we had to play on Friday as the 5th and the Game That Shall Not Be Named against VCU happening the next day. He didn't cause us to lose that game, but he did cost us any chance of winning.
  22. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Seriously, how do you no-call that foul on the 3?
  23. philcski

philcski Active Member

Correct, however as you noted, are Towson and Delaware going to the AAC? No chance. Sun Belt? No chance, they're too good of schools for that and not really in the footprint. CUSA- doubtful, especially given how sprawling with mediocrity that conference has become. The rest of FCS football would be a huge step down, so they're stuck with us in the CAA.