Softball 2014

Discussion in 'Hofstra Pride' started by ProudofPride, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ProudofPride

ProudofPride Member

Hofstra will now be playing an elimination game at 5 tonight against the winner of the CofC/Towson game.
    Rob Joyce of WRHU tweeted that this 8-0 is Hofstra's biggest lost and only the 8th shutout since joining the CAA in 2002.
    Should it be CofC, the results could be a big factor in getting an at-large bid.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Get to the CAA championship and we are in. Lose to Towson we are barely on the bubble. Lose to C of C and we are squarely on the bubble. Just win baby.
  3. ProudofPride

ProudofPride Member

Best case-scenario right for us now would be for Towson to beat Charleston in the elimination game right now. So far Towson is up 2-0 after 1 inning.
  4. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

We play Towson after they beat C of C 8-6.
  5. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Towson gave JMU all they could handle in their 3-2 loss to them. Be careful what you wish for.
  6. ProudofPride

ProudofPride Member

We're already losing to Towson 4-1 in the first... We've allowed 4 hits, and committed 2 back to back errors.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  7. hofstrahoopsfan2007

hofstrahoopsfan2007 New Member

Lost. Season over.
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

9. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Right on the bubble. We could be the last one in or the first one out. JMU loss doesnt hurt us. The C of C win helps. The killer is the loss to #180 Towson on a neutral field.
  10. zman33

zman33 New Member

Watched the games on CAA-TV Defense was awful - I believe they made 7 errors today. This was easily the worst defense Edwards has fielded in my memory
  11. HofstraHockey

HofstraHockey Active Member

I'm not going to make any excuses- it comes down to execution. But missing all those games because of weather is I think a contributing factor to that. Nothing replicates the speed of the game like playing it. The more real life reps you get, the better you're going to be, especially in the field.
  12. ProudofPride

ProudofPride Member

It also doesn't help that for the past several years, the rest of the team hasn't had to play as much defense because they could put a lot more trust in the pitcher to get the out. That being said though, at the end of the season, it's inexcusable to still be having all of these errors.
  13. HofstraHockey

I almost feel like a greedy Yankees fan here. They win every single year, I guess they're allowed allowed to allowed to have one bad season (and by bad, I mean 20 games over .500, which is still a great record). But anyone who knows this program knows that it just wasn't the special kind of year that they normally have. Getting swept in a conference series, losing to teams like Stony Brook and Rutgers, and most importantly not making it to the conference finals at least. I hope they can get back the attitude that they had a few years back, where NOBODY beat them at home, a loss in any game was devastating, and they literally weren't satisfied until someone on the other side was bleeding.
  14. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

The last eight years we had the two most prolific strikeout pitchers the CAA has ever seen. This year our pitchers are more pitch to contact. In the past our fielding avg was in the .980 range while this year it was closer to .960. Big difference. defense was going to be a premium this year and we fell short. Dont sell SBU short as they are on a roll now and Fordham was a top 100 team. to sum it up in one word this year this team was 'inconsistant'. We still have a shot at an at Large. We are right on the bubble. Also we split with Rutgers beating them 13-1 in the first game before losing to them I believe by a 3-2 score in the second. BTW-Rutgers made it to the finals of the AA conference.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  15. HofstraHockey

Never said Fordham, Stu. That wasn't a "bad" loss to me (especially since it got moved to a road game last minute. Still should never lose to Stony Brook.
  16. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

They went against Allison Cuckrov who is a very good pitcher. No shame in losing to her.
  17. Polito1

Polito1 New Member

Goodness Stu, SBU should really start paying you for all the absolute fluff you split about that school and athletic program

I mean I understand respecting, but nearly every point you make is some over inflated nonsense about SBU

Just bustin your chops a bit, I still like ya lol : D. - and you're not alone sadly - some of this SBU stuff is hilarious

Hey, by the way, where are all those basketball doom and gloom bird brains who touted the rise of SBU hoops and the complete demise and destruction of HU ball?? (And pls spare us they made the weak AE champ game blah blah blah - we all know how that turned out)

If you're still hibernating I'd recommend staying. These upcoming yrs at HU might make your head explode LOLOL
  18. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

So are you saying we crapped the bed against SBU. I guess we did the same against JMU and Towson. All I am doing is being a gracious loser and giving credit where credit is due. We were not that bad this year going 33-13. But a real good SBU team who have won over 30 games beat us along with JMU who now have 42 victories.
  19. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

selection Sunday is tonight at 10pm on ESPNU channel 144 on cablevision. I think we have a shot at making the NCAA tourney. tune in to be sure.
  20. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

NCAA projections have JMU in Eugene Oregon as #2 seed while they have Hofstra in Lexington Kentucky as a #3 seed. Good draw for both. This is a winnable bracket for us and JMU has already beaten #1 seed Oregon this year.
  21. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

James Madison gets the Lexington regional. Very winnable for them.
  22. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Four regionals left and no Hofstra.
  23. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

We are in Norman Oklahoma with Bryant, Texas A&M and Oklahoma.
  24. 3r20

3r20 New Member

Norman Regional against Texas AM
  25. ProudofPride

ProudofPride Member

If Hofstra ends up facing Oklahoma, they'll be the second HU sport this season to face the defending national champs.
  26. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

I just might be in Oklahoma as I have friends in Edmond Oklahoma.
  27. HofstraHockey

Where's Stony Brook going?
  28. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Home to lick their wounds, So AJ what chance to do you give Hofstra in this regional?
  29. HofstraHockey

It all depends on what Hofstra team shows up. The team that lost to Towson? They'll have the doors blown off. The team that got them ranked early in the year? Easy to sneak through a win, especially to teams that will look past them (like A&M might). Their weak spot has been pitching this year, as they have been touched up a bit, especially later in the year. They give up over one HR a game, gave up a good amount of unearned runs, and don't strike out a ton of batters.

Offensively, they have a girl a the top who, like most big schools have, just causes havoc all over the basepaths. They also hit a lot of homeruns, scored 65 unearned runs (which is not good for a Hofstra team that has not been catching the ball), and have obviously played against the top teams all year long.

Bryant is just kind of there, although I've seen Hofstra lose to worse this year. Oklahoma, as was mentioned, is the defending national champions. They have lost 2 games since the middle of March (2 out of 28). No matter how you want to slice it, they're going to have to beat them twice to advance. Very tough task. But if the pitching shows up the defense shows up, and the breaks show up, they can at least make some noise. The biggest key to come out of this on a positive note is to not lose to Bryant. Very big in terms of regional recruiting.
  30. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

I would be fine with 2 wins. I think Bryant and A&M are winnable games. They have to have everything going for them to beat Oklahoma. The defense is what concerns me the most.