ROCK Bottom

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by MedicSBK, Feb 18, 2016.

1. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Adam Hermann reported after tonight's loss to Elon that with that loss and Central Connecticut State's win, Drexel now has the worst record in Division 1 Basketball.
  2. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Does Chicago State count? They have 4 wins but 3 of them were against lower division teams aka 1 win against D1 that actually count
  3. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

So you're saying that Chicago State has a better record against D2 schools than Drexel does?
  4. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Yes but only because they did not play a D2 school so 0-0 is better than 0-1. They actually played 3 schools below that level

Anchorage is 19-8 with a vote in the D2 top 25

Illinois Tech(DIII) 4-20
    IU-Northwest (NAIA/AII) 14-15
    Trinity (NAIA/CCAC) 18-11
  5. dan10

dan10 Active Member

However, if we are counting all wins you're statement is correct in having the worst record.

Drexel 3-23
    Praire View A&M 3-21
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

Out of the bottom 122 teams in the RPI, Drexel has played the hardest schedule, including a harder schedule than Big Ten team Rutgers.

Edit: Thanks to their schedule, Drexel has a better RPI than six teams with double-digit Division I wins, including Long Island University-Brooklyn, who is 13-13.
  7. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Give us a damn trophy!
  8. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

Going by KenPom, we are only the 10th best worst team, so, no trophy.
  9. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Changing routes of this thread, what do you guys see as a recipe this season to win a game? I am completely serious. We have played some pretty good games over this losing stretch and all of them have ended the same way, whether we play well or play poorly. If someone were to ask me "how can Drexel win?" my response would be that of confusion and a truthful answer of "I really don't know if this team can win." Thoughts on what our strategy would need to be to win a game?

I know Bruiser would say we need to make shots, but we have done that and still failed. I am not sure what can be on defense to make us suck less in that aspect. Its sad that I was watching updates from last night, and as soon as it hit under that final media timeout and we were losing, I knew the game was over and stopped checking updates.
  10. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

For me it comes down to a few different things:

OFFENSE:

1. Better player management - When tired your key guys need to be subbed out around 2 minutes before the Media Timeouts to give them an extended breaks only to have them put back into the lineup when the media TO is over. Also, London needs to come off the bench and Tavon needs to start for defensive purposes. London is not a 2-guard. He's another point guard.
    2. "Inside First" - The offense needs to shift to a drive and dish/inside first offense. Tavon needs to be discouraged from taking bad, forced shots.
    3. Late game play - The team's offense is a one trick pony. I scream about them taking smart timeouts, but Bruiser doesn't seem to draw up anything on the clipboard that has any sort of impact. They come back out and run the same sets that they ran before the TO. Opposing coaches seem to use their timeouts more efficiently to adjust to Drexel's strengths.
    They also need to better manage their subs in late game situations. Example: Tavon for Mojica or London Defensive for Offensive subs.
    4. Picks away from the ball - The overwhelming majority of creation is done on the ball. Let's try some more picks away from the ball with multiple options or *GASP* throw in a few back door cuts. While they do set some picks off the ball mostly to just start the offense before passing and moving towards the receiver, they set absolutely NO backdoor picks. They just do not exist in their playbook. Let's try something new.

DEFENSE:

1. Better situational D - The Elon game is a great example of where this team fails against teams with certain strengths. I think that Dan did a great job of outlining why Drexel lost the Thursday night game by not better covering Elon's outside game.
    2. Press earlier - This team's press is actually rather effective. It causes a bit of chaos against the opposing team. The problem is they often press when it is too late for it to make a difference. They should not adopt a "press after make" or even a "press often" mentality but they should just throw it in after a make every so often to mix things up and try and feed of the complacency that their game produces.

GENERAL STUFF:

1. Positive Reinforcement - If anyone thinks that this team does not give 100% on the floor then I question what game you are watching. The whole argument of them lacking "heart" is bunk. I see very little positive reinforcement from the head coach on the side lines. Tavon got himself out of a jam the other night, for example, and made a great pass to Rodney inside for the bucket. He ended up getting screamed at by the coach on his way down the floor as he looked on confused and in disbelief. Also, I frequently see players "talking each other down" as they come to the sideline almost as if to say "keep your cool, man its not worth it."
    Bob Hurley Sr.'s approach to reinforcement is an interesting one. He seems to be much harder on his better teams to keep their egos in check and goes easy on his teams that might not have quite as much talent. Bru could learn a lot from that. Its all negative with him,
    2. Personal Responsibility - Bru talks about his players shooting better and wanting to win, or playing with more heart. He puts ALL of the blame on them. How about the coach take a page out of his own playbook?
    A prime example of this was in the Delaware game. After Rodney picked up his second foul, Bruiser was so worried about getting in the ref's ear about it that he failed to sub Rodney out. He then picked up his third foul which kept him on the bench for quite some time. That wasn't Rodney's fault, that was Bruiser's.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

Drexel shocked William & Mary. Here's another statistic about Drexel's strength of schedule. Drexel has played only 4 games against teams 201st or worse in the RPI. Out of the ten teams with the hardest schedules, six have played 3 games against teams 201st or worse and four have played 4 games against teams 201st or worse.