Recruiting with Keatts

Discussion in 'UNCW Seahawks' started by SeahawkCentral, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Alpha Hawk

Alpha Hawk Member

Stillman White is returning to UNC Chapel Hill
  2. Alpha Hawk

Alpha Hawk Member

I have not seen him play so it is hard to know if he can play, but I am interested in why Ricky Council from Durham is or was not a target. Maybe he is not good enough, holding out for a bigger offer or something else but he appears to have good grades and is a lengthy shooter which is what exactly it appears that we need.
  3. jumpinmullet

jumpinmullet Active Member

Stillman White would easily be the best player on the team if he was at UNCW.
  4. geezerhawkdad

geezerhawkdad Member

Stillman White can join Jackson Simmons at the end of the bench and watch the one and two and dones earn the lion's share of the minutes at UNC-CH. Simmons turned down offers from good programs to sit and watch and pay his way at UNC-CH. Stillman is paying his way, too.

I'd forgotten about White. Before he went on the mission trip, I hoped he might get a clue and go to a place he might be able to contribute meaningful minutes when he returned.
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  5. jumpinmullet

Stillman White's family can afford for him to go to UNC or any other school for that matter.
    He will get some playing time and if I am him right now I would take that over the UNCW program right now.Maybe playing at UNC and getting a better education there is what he wants to do.
  6. seahawkhoopsforever

seahawkhoopsforever Active Member

Why do you even follow? You do realize UNCW is included in most of the top 10 lists of schools in NC, the same lists UNC is on. Let's not act like it's that huge of a drop off because it's not! Any chance you get to take a cheap shot you do!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  7. Seahawk Nation 08

Seahawk Nation 08 New Member

And you don't get taught by TA's all day at UNCW. Chapel Hill is a research powerhouse. But for undergrads the experience is no better, and maybe even a bit worse, than at UNCW.

UNC's slogan ought to be "Get your piece of paper and GTFO if you're not a Masters or Doctoral student. To us, you're nothing but a number."
  8. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

A number that will contribute big bucks come alumni giving time. SN08 makes a great point there. The reason everyone actually associates higher academia with UNC is due to their Masters and Doctoral programs.
  9. Proff

Proff Active Member

Watch it bub!
  10. Seahawk Nation 08

Undergrads don't give big money. Down the line if/when they move their way up in the world, yes. UNC gets their big money by virtue of their massive endowment and old money donors. There's nothing more special about a UNC degree compared to a UNCW degree. We're simply a younger school that has much fewer Masters and Doctoral programs than UNC.
  11. seahawkhoopsforever

And significantly less bandwagon fans
  12. Ms. Cottonball

Ms. Cottonball New Member

I doubt it. But I think his effort and hustle are something on the level of John Goldsberry.

White played 200 minutes for UNC as a freshman. 2 years later he has managed to grow an inch and gain 5 lbs. putting him at 6' 160.

I saw a breakdown of his entire season on film. He was never considered an offensive threat and loosely guarded for most of his minutes.

I think White is a better fit in the ACC where defensive pressure on the point guards is tempered by the fact that so many bigs can run the floor and shoot from the perimeter. On the other hand, the CAA has a long history of teams at the top performing well due to their pressure at the point.

In the CAA, I would give White a slightly greater success rate than we saw from Tanner Milson.
  13. jumpinmullet

Stillman played high school against Freddie Jackson and N.H. and he totally out played Freddie and N.H. every time they played each other.Faster,better leaper,better ball handler,better shooter and just all around better player than Freddie.I like Jackson and I think he is a good fit for the CAA but to say that White is like Milson is beyond belief.I can only think that you not seen White play enough to know how good he is.White would be the best guard at UNCW since JG played.
  14. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

Thanks Captain Obvious. That's what I was referring to. Which, to harp on what you stated... they have been around much longer and have a longer history of undergrads who have gone on to successful post-undergrad careers... which in turn becomes big money donations.

Also, you have a large amount of UNC students that come from money and those families tend to donate larger sums than the families of students at schools like UNCW, UNCA, UNCP, UNCG, etc.
  15. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

I agree with Mullet. Comparing White to Milson is an absolute absurdity. That is literally one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.

Milson was a slow guard, couldn't play any sort of defense, never quick to get a shot off, and shouldn't even have played the first minute in a UNCW uniform.

A good comparison to Milson would be a walk-on that played for UNCW back when I was a student. Joseph King. Neither one of those kids were anywhere close to the basketball level that Stillman White is.
  16. Ms. Cottonball

Ms. Cottonball New Member

First, I'm referencing White as a college player, not high school. Second, my reference to Tanner Milson lies only in the success on the court that IMO White would have seen had he played in the CAA.

Like it or not, AS A COLLEGE PLAYER, he cannot create his own shot, does not have the speed or ability to penetrate like he did in high school against inferior athletes, and against most of the competition he is under-sized.

Obviously Stillman White is a great athlete and person. I continue to believe that he will have a greater chance at success in the ACC than he would in the CAA for the reasons previously stated.
  17. Seahawk Nation 08

Cool. But the original argument was that the UNC undergrad experience is significantly better than UNCW's. Not true at all.
  18. jumpinmullet

That ranks up there with the dumbest things I have read on this board.
  19. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

Jackson is more athletic than White period. White is a much better ball handler however.
  20. jumpinmullet

Bill I have seen them play head up many times and Stillman dominated him in all respects.White jumped center for Hoggard and has a crazy vertical leap.Its not even close,White is faster,quicker and out jumps Freddie easily. Better shooter,ball handler,smarter player and I wish White was playing here for UNCW.I really like Freddie but there is no comparison between them as players.Freddie has him beat in terms of size-height,length,strength but that is it.

easy
  21. billthebighawkfan

If he's more athletic than Jackson, then he's quite the athlete-I didn't see that with him when he was at UNC as a freshman. I've seen Freddie slam the ball hard on the break numerous times and is athletic. Stillman must really be a freak and that's cool because we will see him on the tube some if he's got some game like your talking. He needs to show some of that when he's out there!
  22. 82hawk

82hawk Active Member

They were in HS three years ago. Freddie has been playing Div 1 ball the past two years while White has been on a mission. Also, Freddie may have grown more than White in that time and hit the gym harder. I don't think anyone is in a position to compare and contrast two players who last played head to head almost 4 years ago. Furthermore, who cares? Freddie will probably start here and White will be a bench warmer at Carolina. I also don't know how cotton can associate White with both Goldsberry and Milson and expect anyone to take him seriously.
  23. billthebighawkfan

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  24. SeahawkCentral

SeahawkCentral New Member

25. cancin

cancin Member

I just saw this Tweet. McDermott is an Indiana kid that is a good shooter and has received some high major attention. It looks like Keatts is looking for shooters.

Jim Reamer GRInd @UAGRIND_2015
    UNC Wilmington offered Sean McDermott, 6′6″ G 2015. @big_sean14
  26. SeahawkCentral

SeahawkCentral New Member

He must have started watching our film from last year. Or looked at a box score...
  27. Alpha Hawk

Alpha Hawk Member

McDermott from same HS as Vaughn Duggins
  28. 82hawk

82hawk Active Member

29. bricksnivy

bricksnivy Member

Keatts effect "@GoodmanESPN: Kansas transfer @andrewwhite03: most active schools Notre Dame, Wake, Maryland, Richmond, Nebraska, FSU, UNCW"

Overview: A sharp-shooting guard who will vie for playing time in 2013-14… Has outstanding range.

High School: Averaged 22.9 points and 10 rebounds per game as a senior at Miller School in Charlottesville, Va... Had his best game as a senior in which he recorded 46 points, 19 rebounds and seven assists... Was named the Virginia State Player of the Year after his senior campaign... Was invited to participate in the Capital Classic All-Star Game... Played for head coach Scott Willard at Miller... Ranked No. 48 by ESPNU100 and No. 51 by Rivals.com... Named the 12th-best small forward in the 2012 recruiting class... Signed an NLI with Kansas in April 2012.

Off the Court: Full name is Andrew Jackson White III... Born in Richmond, Va... Parents are Andrew, Jr. and Sheryl White... Has two siblings, Andrias and Andrien... Majoring in sport management.

I'm not familiar with the kid, but it certainly sounds like he would be an outstanding addition. Big schools seem to be interested...Wake is interesting, assuming he has a connection to Manning during the recruitment stage.
  30. seahawkhoopsforever

Sounds like he would be immediate impact in the CAA. Assume he would have to sit out a year?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014