Recruiting with Keatts

Discussion in 'UNCW Seahawks' started by SeahawkCentral, Mar 28, 2014.

1. SeahawkCentral

SeahawkCentral New Member

It will be interesting to see how he fills the 3 scholarships he has with Nik Brown and Malik Pugh opening up their recruitment.

Keatts has contacted Nik Brown and told him that he hopes he will keep his commitment to UNCW.

Rumors are that Malik Pugh has Providence interested in him. No word on if Keatts wants him as well.
  2. Alpha Hawk

Alpha Hawk Member

I was hoping that we were not going to be getting Buzz level recruits
  3. SEA33HAWK

SEA33HAWK Active Member

It's my understanding that Pugh is a Fancher recruit and a potential game changer. He also seems to be a Keatts style of player. But I'll leave that up to Keatts, since I don't know for sure.
  4. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

I would imagine just the presence of Keatts will provide us a step up in terms of recruits from what we were getting with Buzz.
  5. getmhawks06

getmhawks06 New Member

It's hard to "step up" your recruiting for the 2014 class when you take over a program in April of 2014. It's most likely in our best interest to keep at least one of these guys because we need a PG desperately. I think 2015 and even more in 2016 is when you see his recruiting pay off. However, I think the talent is there to compete immediately in the CAA with the current guys.

Malik Pugh is a find for any coach at this level. And the fact that Providence is jumping in there right now only helps to validate that opinion.
  6. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

Yes, I understand that. However, if we were getting any other coach with less pedigree and success than Keatts I would indeed be worried. However, if Brown and Pugh decide they don't want to play at UNCW now that we have a far better coach than that's on them. I'm not gonna sweat the small stuff right now, because like you said... Keatts can likely get it done with the current guys. If he has to find a JUCO PG in the mean time it'll be fine.

In the end, if we lose Pugh or Brown in favor of getting a PG next year or in 2016 that Keatts wants... we'll be far better off, IMO. I'm not taking anything away from the forecasted success of those two gentlemen, but I'm willing to put some money on the table that Keatts will attract better talent that pays dividends into the future.
  7. getmhawks06

getmhawks06 New Member

I hear ya, Cleveland. Just think we need at least one of those guys to stay with us. I don't doubt that Keatts could land equal talent or better the next year but we're going to have 4 scholarships to give in the class of 2015, by my calculation. I'm ok if we miss out on Malik and think we'll be just fine in the long run. Reading about this kid, I think he fits...

"Malik Pugh (Dyer County (TN)/Flight 22) commits to UNC Wilmington. The BIG SHOTS standout starred in BIG SHOTS in July for Flight 22 (NC) recording 4 All Star appearances and a stellar 29 point performance in a win over All Ohio Red in BIG SHOTS MYRTLE BEACH 3. Pugh was named 2-time MVP of the prestigious Penny Hardaway Hoopfest tournament for Dyer County after scoring 64 points in 2 games. UNCW is getting a speedy point guard that has a knack to score the ball, penetrate defenses and make plays. He gets to the line at a high rate and applies relentless pressure on opponents at both ends. Good get for the Seahawks! This is Flight 22′s 9th Division 1 prospect in the last 3 years."
  8. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

If I'm a PG like these guys, I'd LOVE to play in this system. It's up to them, but Keatts at least reached out to them on the very first day. I like that. He extended their commitments and encouraged them to stay instead of looking at another guy. That's a first rate guy right there! Yes, he can get great guys, but still stayed the course. UNCW will be playing a style that they already like to play judging from what I've seen of their games. They should love this as they are ballers, but that's up to them. I would sign, if I were them, because of the fit and the man-no regrets. Hawks hoops is on the way up...watch out!
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  9. Proff

Proff Active Member

After last night's game went the way it did, Coach Keatts can get to work for the Hawks and salvage (to some extent) this year's recruiting. I am not too concerned right now because it seems that every new coach has, or has found, someone to bring along with him or with one of his assistants. We shall see what we shall see. The reputation the man has as a recruiter makes me feel that he will have an ace of sorts up his sleeve.
  10. 82hawk

82hawk Active Member

Wondering what may happen with Gettys? He's the only player on this roster that has a long way to go to play in this new system. The rest should love this new press and "havoc" style Keatts is alluding to in referencing VCU and Louisville.
  11. SeahawkCentral

SeahawkCentral New Member

Tyler Lewis is transferring from NC State. Could be an interesting PG get. I'd say a long shot, but he'd certainly fill a need.
  12. bricksnivy

bricksnivy Member

I'd welcome Lewis, but if Brown and Pugh honor their commitments, is PG still a huge need? Plus Tyler will have to sit out a year.
  13. bricksnivy

bricksnivy Member

14. BigDoubleU

BigDoubleU Member

If we got Tyler Lewis, I would my re order my hawk vision subscription that I canceled at midway through basketball season.
  15. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

I'm already going to re-order mine due to the hiring of Keatts alone.
  16. BigDoubleU

BigDoubleU Member

I will too. I just thought about how excited I would be to see Lewis in a Seahawks jersey. Also, whatever happened to Stillman White?
  17. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

Great question! He should be eligible to play this season.

Mullet, have any idea?
  18. Bdiddy

Bdiddy New Member

From what I understand, he is still enrolled at UNC and Roy is trying to figure how to work him in. They have the 4th best recruiting class in the country coming in and he (White) may have to come in as a walk on. Frankly, I don't see him working into their rotation.
  19. jumpinmullet

jumpinmullet Active Member

Stillman had a knee problem and is headed back to UNC is what I am told.
  20. seahawkhoopsforever

seahawkhoopsforever Active Member

You guys sure are excited about unimpressive Tyler can't shoot Lewis
  21. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

Y'all should be pulling for the 2 guys that we already have been recruiting at PG. They can play immediately.
  22. Seahawk Nation 08

Seahawk Nation 08 New Member

Maybe if a kid were transferring from Syracuse Hoops would get excited. lol.
  23. jumpinmullet

jumpinmullet Active Member

Brown is at best a backup point guard on a decent team.
  24. ClevelandHawk

ClevelandHawk New Member

I hope they both stick with their commitment. Both Brown and Pugh sound impressive and sounds like Keatts like both enough to call them both before Louisville even got eliminated.
  25. 82hawk

82hawk Active Member

Here's the thing guys, in this system the system outweighs the players. Think how many NBA stars have played for Pitino? After reading about it, Antoine Walker seems to be the only one. In fact, if you read the Louisville message boards, they are always concerned that it's hard to recruit top players because there are no "featured" players on his teams.

What we need are high energy players that will give all they have when they're on the court. That becomes more important that the skill level of the players. Based on that, the two recruits we have on the line will hopefully fit the bill. Nik becomes somewhat a concern based on past injuries. Can he hold up under this type of play?
  26. bricksnivy

bricksnivy Member

I hear you. He's not a game changer/dominate the league type transfer, but he definitely adds value. 4-1 A/T ratio was good enough for second best in the ACC this year. He is a valuable player and UNCW would welcome a McD AA to their campus.
  27. seahawkhoopsforever

Fair point.

08- Unfortunately their PG is transferring to the NBA!
  28. Seahawk Nation 08

Seahawk Nation 08 New Member

Agree with all of this. We're not a program that ought to be always striving to get the most talented players regardless of what other qualities they bring to the table. We need the RIGHT players. That was the mantra during the Brownell era and I hope it'll be the mantra of the Kevin Keatts era as well.
  29. Tio Hawk

Tio Hawk New Member

David Glenn; ESPN radio discussed this topic at length during his second hour today.

Conclusion......teamwork, hustle, high basketball IQ, etc. is all important BUT it cannot replace individual talent and the ability to score.
  30. seahawkhoopsforever

At ACC level, I agree, At the Mid level. Strongly disagree! During our most successful times we had the guys you list above and those are they types of players that we succeeded with. We won. TEAMS win at the Mid level, above individual talent!