Recruiting thread

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by hustle, Mar 9, 2006.

1. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

We should try to pick up some good players, probably.
    Water Boy likes this.
  2. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

Bru should just call coach Cal and see if we can trade for the 5 coming off the bench down there, he doesn't need two teams.
  3. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

Elijah Cain has decommited from USucks. After the colorado loss due to the offense struggling, I would hope Bruiser is knocking on this kids door. Elijah doesn't have many choices left( Memphis and The Sooners are filled).

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/elijah-cain
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  4. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

5. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Great site. Nice seeing the commits laid over the years like that.

In 4 years we found 1 Damion Lee and 3 players who weren't actually D1 talent. Doesn't seem like a great ratio.
  6. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Active Member

7. DrachenFire

Starting to mentally prep myself for an end of season punch to the nuts.
  8. DrachenFire

As it currently stands, here's how next season would look:
    [​IMG]
  9. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Nice. Would be cool if you ordered them by position, depth chart-style.
  10. DrachenFire

Are you crazy? Between the injuries and 4G experiment that would be almost impossible.

Translation: I did at one point after the Kaz injury and it's so messed up now I didn't post it.
    relaxing likes this.
  11. DrachenFire

Interesting, from the SJU boards:
    This seems to imply that he's not totally locked in until a scholly opens up, so if changes occur after the season he could potentially change his mind. I guess that's what happened with Freddie as well.

Am I reading into that right? NCAA transfer rules give me a headache.
  12. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

even if kaz is off the team?
  13. Dragon for life

They had one open scholarship position prior to miles. I think they will gain another scholarship open spot because of Kaz. The chatter was would he do a Freddy and be forced to wait till mid year or could he apply for a "hardship with the NCAA" and get 2 years starting this fall.

Edit:
    Verbal Commits has updated Kaz's status and is showing 1 spot open.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  14. DrachenFire

I'm assuming Kaz is still on athletic scholarship this year so we are still at the 13 maximum, adding Miles would put us over so we need to wait until Freddie and Sooren come off the books. If we get a commitment from another player, that would strongly indicate that Kaz is not returning or there is someone else on their way out.
  15. Dragon for life

More than likely we will not get another committment till summer. If he isn't coming back we will probably pick up a "rent a player" in the summer like Sooren.
  16. DrachenFire

From same guy:
    So no Miles at all next year.
  17. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

What's your source, that he won't play next year? I thought he left WF just in time so he could play next winter.
    Dragon for life likes this.
  18. DrachenFire

It's a guy on the SJU boards who I have found to be pretty reliable. From what I can gather by reading his posts, he's a mentor to area players to help them academically so they can continue their bball careers in college. I believe he also has a website, but I can't remember what it is.

It makes sense when you look at it. Drexel currently is at the 13 scholarship maximum, so he can't enroll now because that would put them over the limit. By waiting to start classes until summer, Sooren and Freddie come off the books (possibly Kaz if he is done), he can take over one of the vacated slots, however, he has to have a year of academic residence before he can compete. Going by the NCAA, that means either two full semesters or three full quarters.
    http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2013.pdf
    Since we are a quarter system that would be Summer, Fall and Winter, making him ineligible until the 16-17 season.

Although that's barring him acquiring a hardship waiver which would allow him to compete from the beginning of next year.
  19. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

That would suck, because I'd love to see what this team could do with both Lee and Overton on the court at the same time. It would be great if he could compete to take away some of Allen's court time.
  20. DrachenFire

Well we will have Fields who could hopefully help with that, plus Sammy looks like he could be a scorer. Although, I'm not sure that matters if they can't find somebody to consistently score in the post.

There are a lot of variables that could come into play this offseason that makes looking towards next almost impossible until things shake out. Does Bru come back? Do we lose any players (there is one I am worried about who would essentially be a FA)? What happens in regards to cost of attendance? Last three years have been a complete disaster at the worst possible time.
  21. DrachenFire

I'm pretty sure the SJU poster I have been referencing is this guy:
    http://delgrecowilson.com/

He's phillyhoops4life on the SJU boards. He likes to tweak the Hawk fans when we have success, I wish he posted here. I trust him to know his stuff.
    J.B. likes this.
  22. Dragon for life

I think you are wrong. All of the articles out there say Miles will be playing next year (one said maybe Dec/jan) and he will have 2 years of play in him. Bruiser like it or hate isn't going anywhere (there was a slight chance when we kept losing but now that we are winning I doubt it and all of the excuses). Also, I don't think Lee or Rodney will transfer and they are the only two who would destroy us if they left.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/26/wake-forest-transfer-miles-overton-drexel/
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  23. DrachenFire

Key word alert! Of course that is what you are reading. Did you expect any national outlets to study the scholarship situation at Drexel and take more than a minute to spurt something out?

Personally, I hope he can play next season. If he can't that 17-18 class turns into a 7 member one barring anyone transferring out. If you thought replacing 6 players this year was rough, 7 would be tougher.

As far as Bru. He may not go this year, but the ice is really thinning out despite the temps outside. It isn't just the record, attendance is down - a lot. 870 from the 29-7 team and 565 over last year. That's hitting the pocketbook, which can be more meaningful in decision making processes.
  24. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Don't forget about television ratings. Since I stopped watching, viewership went from 19 to 18, approx a 5% drop!
    DU_Trogdor and DrachenFire like this.
  25. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Bumping for no real reason, but man there are some good things in this thread. Everyone was big on Tavon and how impactful he would be and here we are this year talking about him and how awesomely bad he shot. Also some love for Freddie when we recruited him, prior to Seton Hall and transferring. And then Aquil...man everyone thought he was going to be awesome. Seemed like everyone hit on Lee, which turned out to be as good as advertised. Someone else pointed me to this one too...

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012...-20120127_1_tony-shaver-tribe-marcus-thornton

I do remember us recruiting him but didnt know that we were going to require him to cut his hair. Imagine what life could have been with Frantz, Fouch, Lee and Thornton. Hope he gets a chance at the next level, but I suspect with his size he will be a typical CAA Eurpoean player
  26. DrachenFire

Not everyone. This could be the best post that was ever made:
    http://www.caazone.com/boards/threads/recruiting-thread.32832/page-33#post-1495964

Also some of those bigs that I wanted:
    Tao Xu - Left the Dons to play professionally in China
    Isaac Freeman - Left UMass, now playing? at State Fair Community College

Good stuff
    Dragon for life likes this.
  27. dan10

dan10 Active Member

That is true and I had read that, even my own post about his shooting, but his driving is what really made him potent when his shots werent falling. He is one of the few we have recruited that wasnt deemed a shooter that turned out to be a pretty good shooter. And are you really surprised by the 1 person?
  28. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

29. Dragon for life

30. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

1. Digging the specs.

2. Another undersized "small forward" who won't be ready until the 2016-2017 season presumably to take Tavon Allen's place.

3. He's receiving interest from Wake Forest and Penn State as well.

http://247sports.com/Player/AJ-Wilson-36911