Recruiting thread

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by hustle, Mar 9, 2006.

1. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

got it... i say as long as VCU doesn't get him - it's a win for us
  2. Marshall_Amp

Marshall_Amp New Member

Don't these recruits just say different schools all the time? I doubt our staff would be looking at a guy that we have no shot with.
  3. I Hate Jay Bilas

I Hate Jay Bilas New Member

Believe I saw a recruit on campus yesterday, looked like Martin
  4. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

Isn't it too early for visits?
  5. dan10

dan10 Active Member

i assume they work on the same schedule as any other student...if he is incoming this year than id say no. usually march 31 is the decision deadline, so visiting these weeks would be normal.
  6. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

You were on campus?
  7. I Hate Jay Bilas

Damion Lee down to La Salle, Drexel, Valpo and Northeastern with an upcoming visit to Drexel according to Rivals
  8. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

A 6-4 forward that can't shoot, not interested. Save the scholarship for a 6-8 forward that can't shoot.
  9. dan10

dan10 Active Member

if he is a small forward, we need someone who can give dt some minutes on the bench. we lack anyone of any size to give him some bench minutes, so someone 6'4 regardless if they can shoot or not would be of help. This is of course if he actually drives and doesnt try shooting knowing he cant shoot, if this is the case I would pass too.
  10. I Hate Jay Bilas

11. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

How many undersized forwards do we need? Kazembe, Tavon, and now this guy.

Websites list him from 6-4 to 6-6, which typically makes him 6-4. I would be pleased if a 6-8 guy like Will Davis signed. Mike Connors has proven he can turn inexperienced big guys into outstanding players.
  12. I Hate Jay Bilas

Tavon is a wing, Kaz is more of a post player. Damion Lee is a guard. The other scholly will go to a big anyway. And Connors is overrated anyway
  13. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame New Member

lol
  14. Timer

Timer Moderator

I see what you did there....
  15. spearsie

spearsie Member

Lots of good press about Lee. From what I read, we would be very fortunate to get him. Sounds like he does about everything. I like the fact that physically, he is already college ready. Martin is a lost cause anyway.
  16. Dragon for life

ESPN shows Lee's first choice is Northeastern
  17. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

I have no idea if this guy Olu Ashaolu http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ashaolu_olu00.html would have interest, but he just got his release under the same transfer rule that Tim Tillman got from us (got his degree with one year of eligibility left, can transfer and play immediately at a school he's going to for grad school).

He had a 2 pt shooting % of 56%, 60% from ft (which I guess is good compared to Daryl and Samme), and was a top rebounder (avg'd 10.7 pts and 8.1 boards in the WAC which was the #10 conf this season per kenpom, CAA was #13).

Normally I wouldn't go for a one year guy, but we need a big, and if next year is the big "save bru's job, ncaa tourney or bust" year, wouldn't we be crazy not to go after him? He'd give us a 4th legit bigman, the depth that could really make us a complete team next year. I think Northeastern has interest, and again, I have no idea if this guy has ever heard of Drexel, but I hope we do get involved.
  18. Dragon for life

It wouldn't hurt to try but i'd hate to give up a scholarship (if we have too) for a one and done player.
    Ruffin,McCoy and Samme is a great core ( when not in foul trouble). What we need are semi reliable shooters with Colds graduating.
  19. I Hate Jay Bilas

If the athletic department wouldn't even pony up the money to play in a post-season tournament, you really think that they would have the NCAA or bust attitude?
  20. Dragon for life

CIT/CBI are jokes, Its a waste of money. Anyway... However, You are right about the Athletic Department, they do not have that attitude In or Bust. The only Lodgical way Bru will leave/ will not come back is if we end up in the bottom of the CAA after great promise this year.
  21. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

You don't have to pay for attitude. And the AD might decide on spending, but it's the coaches job to recruit. There's a distinction there, and you know that IHJB.

But yes, there will be a long and painful post sometime this spring about our Athletics Dept's commitment to excellence... or whatever it is they might be committed to.
  22. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

But that's the problem - Ruffin and Givens average 4.5 fouls/40 min and McCoy averages an NBA disqualification. They're going to get into foul trouble, and then we'll be relying on Goran and/or two freshmen.
  23. dtmatrsf

dtmatrsf Active Member

Bruiser? I just met 'er!! Hahaha...sorry that joke needed to come out a while ago xD
  24. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

Where does all this money come from?

Drexel is not a wealthy institution and should spend a great deal of money improving its aging and outdated infrastructure. I would rather take $70,000 and spend it towards improving the library, which will have a much better ROI. Our current library system is comparable to a high school or community college and not a Top 100 institution.

Some Drexel members on this message board prove that we belong in the CAA with the attitude that we should be wasting our limited resources on meaningless post-season basketball tournaments.
  25. Dragon for life

I agree that the CBI and CIT are jokes but I would have supported Drexel either way if they decided to pay or not for these tourneys. Basketball is still Basketball ( Press is still Press).

Your kidding right BMf? Drexel is hardly a poor university. Granted maybe 5-10 years ago before Papa D Was President we had money issues and we are not an Ivy League School with Billion dollar endowments. However, currently we have a huge budget/ accumulated alot of money year after year with the radical increase of Freshmen's on campus which means more money.

I work with the Administration and I know for a fact that we have plenty of money and many student love the fact that they are using our money wisely by Improving outdated Buildings/infrastructure. Its about time the Dac/Rec Center and Matheson gets fixed up.

Trust me the Library improvements are coming but there are alot more places that needs a fix up than just dumping money into one area.( They are building "Study Areas" all over campus i.e Under the "Death Star" called Race, there will be a mini library center.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  26. DBALL

DBALL Active Member

I don't ever see the Serbs playing meaningful minutes. They just aren't tough enough to play under the Bru system. Anyone know who our 7th and 8th men will be next year?
  27. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

Tavon & Aquil, which is based only on videos of them playing in high school.
  28. JonP

JonP Active Member

How can you say that when you haven't seen them play?

I heard that Bru was telling people that Goran was almost ready.
  29. Dragon for life

If he thought they were that good they would have gotten more playing time then they did.
  30. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

I heard a number of folks upset Bru didn't play him. Basketball folks. With connections to a CAA University. In Philadelphia.