Please move over to CSN

Discussion in 'James Madison Dukes' started by JMU2004, Apr 8, 2013.

1. jmusuperfan

jmusuperfan New Member

Tapatalk issues pretty frequent as well... Overall unlike the can sight but hope the server changes fix things
  2. JMU Newbill

JMU Newbill New Member

and again....
  3. JMU2004

JMU2004 Active Member

brand new server up and running. There will be a few tweaks/tune ups, but I think the outages are done.
  4. Duke Dawg

Duke Dawg Moderator

he should send it back then, cause I can't get on right now. :001_shappy:
  5. JMU2004

JMU2004 Active Member

probably because your ISP hasn't reset the DNS yet. Not his fault... The new server is in ATL, and the old was in Dallas.

btw, I'm on it right now. No issues, and lightening quick.
  6. dunkanddukin

dunkanddukin Active Member

loading, loading, loading, loading... I like the "environment" over there, with the breadth of boards and fans of other schools stopping by, being able to read about the other conferences etc.

But geeeeez. The down time and hiccups just since we moved over there have been pretty epic. We couldn't have caused ALL that!
  7. Pitz

Pitz New Member

Let's all move to CSN they said. Much less downtime they said.
  8. dunkanddukin

dunkanddukin Active Member

Yea, it is a bit, uhhh, ironic? :whistling:
  9. JMU

JMU New Member

The other board is starting to blow. It doesnt seem very stable, always down, always a little tweek here or there. I think Ga Tech Swagger has lost his swag. Frustrating.
  10. BDKJMU

BDKJMU New Member

You said the same thing 2 days ago...
  11. BDKJMU

BDKJMU New Member

Yep. We need a board that doesn't go down all the time. Any ideas?
  12. bsaadatmand

bsaadatmand Active Member

I access from tapatalk 90% of the time and I swear the site is down more than its up from the tapatalk app.
    W
    T
    F
  13. Scythe

Scythe New Member

I've offered...no one seems interested.
  14. bulldog

bulldog New Member

What would it take? What's involved? I really think we need a board of our own, no affiliation with anyone else. Will we have the same server/crash problems?
  15. Scythe

Scythe New Member

Not much, I already have software licenses from another project. So it'd take me standing up a vps and selecting a domain. It's not my first rodeo with forums
  16. bulldog

bulldog New Member

Sounds like a good idea to me.
  17. Scythe

Scythe New Member

I'd want a consensus before I spend some time doing it (and also a solid domain name you guys all agree upon -- which I have no problem buying). It's really not hard to run a board, and I use to run one of the largest ones on the web a few years back. If you're blowing $3500 on server hardware, and having problems -- you're doing something terribly wrong. I presume you guys would just like a straight up message board, no special portals or anything.

Also the MyBB software CSN runs is just downright terrible. Op code caching (php accelerator) issues aside, with the amount of hardware he should've bought with $3500, failover should not be a problem. Stand up on my end would take ~4-5 hours, and 24-48 hour delay before DNS kicks in. That delay is important since email rules are contained in there which would help prevent registration emails from getting kicked to peoples spam folders.
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  18. potus#4

potus#4 New Member

I've seen you make this offer and it's very generous of you to do so. The problem is, there is no governing entity to give the go ahead or to gather a consensus. It's just a collection of random JMU sports fans with various opinions. Usually, I think people wait to see if they like a product before they decide if they want to make a switch. I know that's not helpful to you.
  19. Scythe

Scythe New Member

Well, I guess it's more or less the question of if there's demand or not. If everyone's content with CSN, then it's probably not a worthwhile investment of my time. If there's a general dislike with the current situation you guys are in, then I'm more than willing to put up a forum with solid software and hardware that should handle the load you guys are going to put on it.

I would do the admining for most of the site as far as updates/server stuff goes -- but there'd have to be a small group of volunteer mods that can handle problematic users or similar. I'm only around so often to read every post ;]

Also, the name of the site is another fun one if someone wants to take a stab at the domain name.
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  20. Rock House Duke

Rock House Duke New Member

^^^ interesting.
  21. jmu007

jmu007 New Member

i thought Dukesdoghouse would've been an awesome domain.... then I realized Bush's beans beat me to it.. go figure.
  22. Pitz

Pitz New Member

Whatever happened to jmusports.net?
  23. PGDUKES

PGDUKES New Member

Well, guess I'm completely out of CSN board. All of a sudden it asked me to login, but then would not accept my login. Tried to re-register, but won't accept because of my email address being the same as before. I only have one email address. Anybody have any suggestions, I'd like to know.
  24. bulldog

bulldog New Member

Leave a message for hburg on this forum, either in this thread or in a PM, or both. He still checks in here frequently and he is the mod for our CSN board.
  25. PGDUKES

PGDUKES New Member

Thanks, Bulldog. I ended up creating a new user on my email account and re-registering under a new name and I'm back in.
  26. jmuroadwarrior

jmuroadwarrior New Member

So what email works to sign up for the other board. I know what does not work: my yahoo, my gmail, my work email................all of them were rejected. I'll come over when I can figure it out.
  27. Scythe

Scythe New Member

Wait..they block the most common US mail providers? That's just silly
  28. jmu08

jmu08 Member

Some people say facebook email works, I used my free alumni.jmu.edu email, which forwards to my gmail.

https://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/JMD/olcregister/
  29. Dukie95

Dukie95 Active Member

Free emails accounts are open to all now.
  30. hburg

hburg Active Member

People can certainly be difficult to move. For me personally, I will go where the masses go. If everyone felt that it would be better to be at a different site than where we are now, then it should be done. Never had a problem of JMU having it's own board, but it is difficult to find the mods that want to moderate and the ones to put time into putting a site together. I think that is why a stand alone JMU site never took off. But that is just me. I don't know what to tell you Scythe. If some way, somehow you can find enough people to bite on the new message board site, then go for it, but if not, then it may not be worth it. JMU has 100,000+ alumns, and I have no clue, how many are online trying to find a place to post online about JMU sports.