Pandamonium at the Palestra!

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by MedicSBK, Dec 15, 2015.

1. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Who is all going to the Palestra this weekend? Does anybody want to meet anywhere pre or post game for some frothy beverages and spirited college basketball discussions?
  2. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I will have just got back to town, havent decided yet if I will make the hour and a half trek to Philly or not. I fully expect to be able to get tickets at the door, just not sure I want to go to Philly and watch this team play or not, that and I personally do not enjoy the Palestra
  3. thewalush

thewalush Member

I will most likely be at Landmark with my crew of 4
  4. DBALL

DBALL Active Member

Booooooooooo!!!!! OK, I get the 1 1/2 part. But booooooooo!!!
  5. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Hey now! I said I haven't decided. The big problem is finding someone to watch the little one, which would have been easy on any other day or even an earlier game on Saturday but the late game is a killer.
  6. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Ahmad Fields, Major Canaday, and Rodney Williams are available I hear.
    DU_Trogdor likes this.
  7. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I hear it wont make any difference
  8. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I will be there +1. Special thanks to MetSox (and I forget his name on here) for hooking me up with their tickets since they can't attend.
  9. dan10

dan10 Active Member

As for the game I really do not know what to expect. Nothing really jumps out about Penn State. They have lost to Duquesne, Radford and George Washington, which is expect as those teams are decent teams. The only team they beat that is sort of a surprise was them beating Canisius, who has been up and down (lost to quinnipiac, bonnies, buffalo but beat monmouth)

Clearly their best player is Brandon Taylor, a 6'6 forward. He is averaging 16points and nearly 6.6 boards a game. He shoots at a 42% clip and 40% clip from downtown. They do not shoot the free throw all that well as a team (67% as a team with their best player shooting 73%), which can only benefit us for as much as we put teams to the line. Hitting the boards will be important as it appears their strength is getting offensive rebounds, however for the most part just a balanced team without much to write home about. That being said, I have no expectation for this "home" game. I am quite sure PSU will have the majority crowd.

We need to stay out of foul trouble and hit the boards and we have a chance. They dont force turnovers so that should not play a factor in this game. If we settle for 20+ shots from Tavon and hack a nittany lion then we are in trouble.

PSU- 74
    Drexel- 64
  10. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

11. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

Is rodney starting or is he still broken?
  12. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

He is listed as a probable starter in the game notes - I don't know if that's real or just someone being lazy. There seem to be no news on the injury anywhere. It is almost like Bru is trying to be like Bill Belichick to get Metsox to like him more and say nice things on the blog.
  13. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Bru will know when he shows up at the gym ready to play.
  14. dan10

dan10 Active Member

PSU is 6 point favorites tonight.
  15. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Vegas must be assuming we have home court advantage.
  16. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

Granted our home game is in name only, but I wonder when if the CAA has ever had two home games against Big Ten teams in a season, let alone in the same day.
  17. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Talk about home court advantage for Northeastern. Michigan state only a 9 point favorite this morning. MSU won by 20 but still
  18. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

I had a slight change in plans tonight so I won't be getting up to Philly closer to game time. Sorry. Dan10, if you have Metsox tickets, we should be sitting right around each other.
  19. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

First of all, it was nice to meet Dan10 last night at the game and to sit with Eric from here and DragonsSpeak. I'm looking forward to hearing

Boy oh boy what a game. At its best, the Dragons looked great, but then there was the last 23 minutes of the game. I don't want to steal Dan's thunder, but he summed it up perfectly: "They stopped doing what was working."

As usual, Bru blamed the players. Interestingly, when Penn State had their 12-2 run in the first half, guess what we were in? THE FOUR GUARD!

Lastly, my dad pointed something out to me in the second class that I missed, probably due to the distraction of the Dance Team hahaha...

In the second half, Terrell Allen was coming unraveled. He had a band turnover, got into it with a Penn State player, and the pair drew fouls. Terrell Allen came off the floor and was told, "This is not F### high school!"

Later in the half, Terrell came off the floor and drew Bruiser's wrath again. Well, the Freshman decided to talk back to his coach, and throw his water bottle. He was backed off out of the huddle by one of the assistant coaches. I've never seen such a..... spirited reaction from a Drexel player to Bru's tantrums.

After the incident Bruiser made as nice as he could, placing a hand on the boy's knee. He spoke quietly but all I could make out was him saying, "Do you understand what I'm saying?"

Terrell went back on the court later in the half, and hit a driving layup and was fouled hard. He came up and went to the line for the 3 point play all the while shooting daggers at his coach on the side line.

The kid, sadly, just came unraveled from there on out. PSU was in his head, and Bruiser was in his head. If I was the PSU coach, quite honestly, I would have told my players to be up on the kid, hand checking him, and putting a body on him, fouls be damned, because as Terrell showed with his turnover and following coincidental foul, he was a loose cannon, and was primed for a stupid, stupid foul if his buttons were pushed enough. It might not be the most ethical way to play, but ethical doesn't always equal smart, unfortunately.

This was a sad game. We should have walked away with a W. No such luck.
  20. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Nice to meet you as well MedicSBK. We looked good early and Drexel-esque late. We sure do know how to blow 15+ point leads with ease. As Medic stated everything turned for the worse when we decided 4 guards was the best play. That started their comeback and made it easy going into the half. Then PSU adjusted and so did Drexel. Drexel's adjustment was simple, pass the ball around the arc and start taking mid to long range jumpers instead of attacking the basket, which worked great in the first half. Its bad when my wife, who is not all that basketball savvy, had to ask me "why are you guys shooting so many 3's". Thats what we became in the second half, and by no surprise it did not work. Had we kept attacking with everyone, PSU doesnt get back in the game.

Kaz is our lifeblood out there. He plays with such confidence and shows so much leadership on the court, that we need him on the court a much as possible. Everyone is feeding off of him. The matchup between Kaz and Brandon Taylor was epic to watch and very enjoyable. Kaz won more times then he lost. Every time we switched and ended up with Bah covering him we got into trouble because he was too quick with the ball for Bah to stay with him all over the court.
  21. dan10

dan10 Active Member

The really bad news about this game is that for the most part the officials let them play last night and we still could not win. A big problem so far is the number of fouls we commit and the amount we send our opponents to the foul line. That didnt happen last night and we still couldnt win. That will make finding wins very difficult, because we do not know how to win. We dont have a plan that we know can work, so we are throwing the dice each and every game, and that is not good.
  22. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

23. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Great writeup by Eric! As usual.

Terrell played a great game, although he got pretty hot in the second half. He shot 40% from the field, made all of his free throws, stayed out of foul trouble, and only had 2 turnovers all while scoring 18 points. I don't know what else you can ask for from a Freshman point guard.

As for Kaz, I mentioned it to Dan10 when we were in the stands: there was something that bothered me about Abif when he was a freshman and sophomore. He had a kind of swagger that just did not sit well with me on the course, and frankly, when I heard that he was coming back this year I was concerned about what kind of influence he would have on the court.

Kaz has shocked and surprised me. He's great. He's got energy, and he is one heck of a defensive player. He supports his teammates and can contribute offensively on occasion as well.

The job that he did against Brandon Taylor was remarkable. He shared time against Taylor with Bah and the difference when the two players were defending him was uncanny. I wish there was a way to break down Taylor's shooting stats vs. Bah and vs Abif because I think you'd find that most of his points came against Bah. I made the comment that he would have probably pushed Tavon up to the 200's if he was defending him.

Speaking of Tavon, Eric's assessment was spot on. When the game gets down to the later stages, Tavon tries to take control and he's just not that kind of player. His clutch shooting is terrible. He's had some flashy games like the La Salle game but other than that, ugh.... It's just the same ole' Tavon.

Also Sammy Mojica was a non-factor in this game. He didn't even make his way onto the scoring sheet until 10 minutes into the second half.
    Also I think that it is worth noting that there was a second trainer on the Drexel bench for this game. I hadn't seen that before.

Lastly, I think that Terrell needs to be handled better. He's young and talented and feisty. Far more feisty than anyone I've seen come through in a number of years. He's not going to take to constantly being screamed at well. He showed that to me more subtly when he was benched in the Monmouth game, and made so secret about his displeasure of how was being addressed by his coach in Saturday's game.
  24. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

There is one LAST thing that needs mentioning that has nothing directly to do with Drexel Basketball.

At the end of the game, there was a late whistle with less than a couple seconds left when Mojica drove the lane and was fouled. With the 63-57 score, the refs called it saying then that there was no foul call. BS there was clearly a foul call.

Bruiser went ballistic. He was screaming at both the refs and demanding that they shoot the free throws. The refs did not give in. No free throws were shot, and the game ended 63-57 with the Nittany Lions winning.

Now, guess what the Vegas line was? 6 points in favor of PSU! Had Mojica been allowed to go to the line and shoot the free throws, and had he made just one of those two, Drexel would have covered the spread with the 5 points loss. The 6 point loss meant the game was a push.
  25. UofRfan

UofRfan Active Member

Would have been really interesting had Bruiser blown his top over it and cost the push with a Tech. Remember VCU covering a 4 or 5 point spread at home with him blowing his top after a non call.
  26. thewalush

thewalush Member

I wrote that I thought Tavon should be the main defender on Taylor, oh boy did I get that wrong. This is why I'm not a coach.