OT- Congrats to Duke and coach Danowski

Discussion in 'Hofstra Pride' started by stuball888, May 27, 2014.

1. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

On winning back to back NCAA titles in mens Lax. Since Dino was shown the door at Hofstra he has 8 final appearances in 8 years and has won the NCAA title 3 of the last five years. Boy do we miss him.
  2. hofstrahoopsfan2007

hofstrahoopsfan2007 New Member

im with you on the congrats to dino. heck of a run down there for him.

in saying that - you obviously know NONE of that success could happen here. he had two plus decades here and we never reached a final four. and i dont mean that as a knock on him. i mean that as a compliment to duke and what that university can offer.

he is a great man and i miss him leading our program, esp with the position we are currently in.
  3. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Basically he was shown the door because he told the truth. Said Hofstra would not get the best recruits from Long island because they wanted to go away for college. His son chose Duke over Hofstra because that was what was best for Matt Danowski. I remember Dino telling me he would rather be matts father than his coach after he chose Duke. this also proves that Dino can coach with the best. Duke had Zero national titles before he came over. Also I believe Dino was 6-0 against Duke when he was here at Hofstra.
  4. Polito1

Polito1 New Member

as much as I felt like he could've put HU deeper in the NCAA's, and should have, the guy is a great coach, no doubt about it - and sounds like a great individual as well

but I disagree about the excuses made regarding retaining talent - EVERY coach at EVERY school in EVERY sport could make that excuse - should St Johns give up and say well all the top nyc talent wants to go elsewhere?? clearly that's not an acceptable reason

it goes both ways - that means there are plenty of kids outside of LI that would like to go out of state and NY and HU Lax is a GREAT option - and if marketed / recruited aggressively, it's absolutely doable to bring big talent - HU has done it before

I understand the resource differences between a Duke and an HU, and that has to be fairly considered - winning a national title will be very difficult at HU - BUT it is NOT impossible - and there's absolutely ZERO reason why HU can't land enough talent to produce a final four appearance, or at least go deep in the tourney - NONE.

LAX has become a big enough sport now, there are plenty of players, and though are a few more schools, it's nowhere near the competition level that football or basketball are

big time lax CAN be done here, just need the right leadership.