ODU (9-4) vs. GMU (6-6)

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Monarchs' started by ODU89, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ODU89

ODU89 New Member

Nice win by the Monarchs tonight to close the OOC play on a three game winning streak beating three quality teams in Georgetown, Charlotte, and Duquesne. Mason finished the OOC play at 6-6 getting waxed by mighty Radford of the Big South. Can we keep the momentum rolling as we start the new year or will we wilt to Mason's Fab Freshman? Let's get it on!!
  2. verycoolnin

verycoolnin New Member

For a bit of a perspective, Duquesne beat Radford 71-63 and Radford just destroyed GMU.
  3. ODU89

ODU89 New Member

Then it only means one thing, Mason is in for a beat down!
  4. verycoolnin

verycoolnin New Member

Then again, GMU only lost by a point (68-69) to #5 Villanova earlier in the year.

You never know what you're going to get with this team.

But honestly, I think ODU dominates this game.
  5. shorsky

shorsky Member

It means that George Mason will be fighting to prove that a loss to Radford was a fluke. Coach L is too good of a coach to let his team play that poorly in two straight games. They will be more inspired to play Old Dominion. There will be no beatdown by either team.
  6. smudge12

smudge12 New Member

I'm sure everyone who's been to a Patriot Center game, even during winter-break, knows that it's not an easy place to pull a victory out. This will not be a beat down, and if we are up big at one point, they will find a way to make a run. Heck, Dayton barely escaped that place with a one-point win. That said though, GMU themselves have not looked that great at their own home (based on the scores), except against Dartmouth. Should be a fun one between two coaches that know each other's methods well!
  7. Hugh

Hugh New Member

I expect a close game. Mason is incredibly tough at home. We haven't won there since Dahi's miracle shot a few years back.
  8. ODU89

ODU89 New Member

ODU is a strong and physical team. We play tough defense and are looong. This is how one fan describes how they match up against strong, big teams such as mighty Radford.

Thus, if the scouting report by their fan is correct ODU is built to F Mason up! So I'm going with the beatdown. I'm just saying.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. verycoolnin

verycoolnin New Member

Small and inexperienced isn't good for GMU.
  10. The people predicting a ODU beatdown of GMU in the Patriot Center obviously know very little about basketball. Your historical perspective is pretty much nil if you think we blow them out on the road.

They aren't going to get blownout at home against an in conference foe after they just got blownout in their last game. GMU may be young and vulnerable on the road, but they've lost 1 game at home this year, to Dayton, by 1 freaking point.

But yeah, I can totally see us blowing them out there. Jesus.
  11. bigrips77

bigrips77 New Member

I'll take a win there, period. We've been garbage at the Pat Center for much of this closing decade.
  12. Heywood Jablomi

Heywood Jablomi New Member

In conference games are generally tight. ODU in a low scoring, grind it out win.
  13. ODU True Blue

ODU True Blue New Member

Wow, who would have thunk it? GayMU is a trap game for ODU.

If we go in thinking they'll play like a Jr High school team like against Radford we are in deep trouble.

It is conference play, they are at home where they've only lost once in the past two seasons, we are only 2-2 on the road this year (0-2 on neutral courts). It will be a tough tough game for us. I expect us to win, but wouldn't be surprised by any outcome.
  14. ODUBigBlue96

ODUBigBlue96 New Member

This game worries me. Yes GMU lost to Radford but they've played some other good teams close. Plus we've laid some real eggs up in NOVA in recent years. I hoping for a WIN at Mason and 2-0 in CAA.
  15. ODU89

ODU89 New Member

Razor - I guess you know their team more than their own fans.
  16. Hassell4Prez

Hassell4Prez New Member

89, You are wrong here my friend.

GMU and ODU play each other 2-3 times every year. We KNOW how each other is going to play!! Thus, it would be VERY unlikely for either team to blow the other out. Do I think we will win? Yes, but probably by 6-7 points.

Maybe temper your expectations a bit because some of the claims you are making make no sense
  17. ODU89

ODU89 New Member

I will be happy with a one point buzzer beater. The rationale and logic I used to make my prediction was 100% based on their fans analysis of how the two teams match up. I would probably say they know more about their team than any of us do. According to their match up of styles we should "F them up"! So it is the GMU fans that are not making sense not me.

Tell them to temper the expectations.
  18. smudge12

smudge12 New Member

Don't look into too much of what fans say; this is a message board. I mean, didn't ODU fans predict a close game against Charlotte? Look how that turned out.
  19. Fear_The_Lion

Fear_The_Lion New Member

Did we blow them out in our last meeting at the Ted? Nope. I believe Pearson, a freshman had a career day at our place in front of a sellout! He scored about 27 on us as a freshman. And we were at home!

C'mon man.

If it weren't for Lee going completely off with about 13 layups and a barely over the rim dunk, we probably lose that one at home the last time we played.

Pearson is still there. Morrison will try to make a statement since we offered Coop. They will have the crowd factor and band in place. Not to mention a fair amount of guards that can play.

Just getting this game on the road would be huge. I don't believe we've seen a blowout at the Patriot Center in many years. At least not when ODU won.
  20. Who cares what some GMU fan thinks, the facts are that they beat Creighton at home and their only loss at home was to Dayton by 1. It's been an extremely tough place to play for us the last several years and I think our only win there in the last 5 years came because Dahi hit a 3 at the buzzer just to get it to OT.

Anyone expecting a blowout is a nut.
  21. ODU89

ODU89 New Member

And last year we beat Charlotte on a buzzer beater. So what?
  22. So......we played much better at home against them than we did on the road......duh.

Just like our game AT GMU will be tough, but we should be able to take it to them at home.
  23. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Off to the game, let's get a win.
  24. franko31185

franko31185 New Member

Vegas knows something....line opened at a pick em and now sits at ODU -6
  25. oducampus

oducampus New Member

anyone getting the feed yet??..it's already 12:10 and no feed ..mason suks
  26. valisahottie7

valisahottie7 New Member

I have the feed on channelsurfing.net.
  27. Petey Hodge

Petey Hodge Active Member

Keyon is looking possessed today!
  28. vbundy

vbundy New Member

not a bad start.
  29. vbundy

vbundy New Member

21-19 odu 7min
  30. Petey Hodge

Petey Hodge Active Member

we're looking cool and calm as cucumbers. heck, we thrive on playing in the beltway! :)