mens lacrosse quarterfinals

Discussion in 'Hofstra Pride' started by hofstrahoopsfan2007, May 18, 2014.

1. hofstrahoopsfan2007

hofstrahoopsfan2007 New Member

I went yesterday - did anyone else?

i have to say - for all the complaining we all do about stuff hofstra does. i think they have and continue to always do a awesome job with the quarterfinals. i have been to a bunch and the event is first class in every way.

i dont know who runs it (hathaway?) but thanks to all of them for putting a great spotlight on the university. the place looked great and fans around us from other schools couldnt stop talking about how great the stadium and everything else was.

now i just wish we were in it!!!!!!!!!!
  2. ProudofPride

ProudofPride Member

Hofstra was using a drone with a go-pro attached to it to take aerial pictures, and got some pretty awesome shots, like this one that Stephen Gorchov tweeted: https://mobile.twitter.com/StephenGorchov/status/467866870008147968

It seems like we have much better attendance numbers than the games at Delaware do, and the tv commentators kept mentioning how lucky our team is to get to play in our facilities. The stadium looked awesome on tv. It's worth checking out the whole photo album in the recap: http://news.hofstra.edu/2014/05/18/record-crowd-james-m-shuart-stadium-ncaa-lacrosse-quarterfinals/
  3. HofstraHockey

HofstraHockey Active Member

I know Delaware Stadium is a lot bigger than Shuart, but it looks empty when they show the shots that aren't of the main stands (which still have space on the ends). Shuart Stadium was full, and it sure looked it. An absolutely perfect day outside sure helped. An epic second game also kept everyone in their seats until the end (I parked on the north side and snuck out the back, but I would imagine traffic getting out of there was pretty bad).

And say what you want about the field, but no football lines on the turf makes for a MUCH cleaner look. Personally, I would just tell every school out there to just get plain green turf, and paint on what you need. Hofstra in the past painted green over the football lines (there are no lines on this turf). Delaware didn't do that, however, and it is a mess out there.
  4. HofstraHockey

HofstraHockey Active Member

7,222 as the announced attendance in Delaware. In a 22,000 stadium.
  5. Flying Dutchmen

Flying Dutchmen Active Member

Great event yesterday, well done by Hofstra. The stadium had a tournament feel, parking and traffic were not bad and the place was filled for both games. Can't ask for anything more... except being in the game of course!
  6. CTBobS

CTBobS New Member

Agree with all that has been said. Great day, great 2nd game, parking was not bad at all (also parked on North side), plenty of different food vendors. also the stadium looked great filled. I thought everything was close to perfect. Great job by the administration and everybody involved.
  7. tedhofstra

tedhofstra Member

I was there yesterday and agree that Hofstra did an amazing job and atmosphere was incredible. I hope Hofstra lands quarterfinals again next time they are open in 2017 and for many other years to come. Our stadium has been full the last three times so NCAA would be very wise to keep having it here. Anybody know if Hofstra gets a cut of any of the concession revenue from quarterfinals?
  8. Polito1

Polito1 New Member

Very glad to hear HU runs a top notch event, and I've seen them show their ability before - but it's disgusting that HU Lax has yet to take advantage ....
  9. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

Ditto Polto! The crowd speaks for itself. Just proves if you have the right product and the right venue they will come.Long Island is the hotbed of lacrosse and Hofstra should take advantage of it.
  10. hofstrahoopsfan2007

hofstrahoopsfan2007 New Member

i wrote an email to jeff hathaway to congratulate them on the event. anyone else i should send one too?
  11. Polito1

Polito1 New Member

yeah, how about one to him, to ST, to the entire staff asking when HU will stop making excuses and get the job done to actually PARTICIPATE in the event they've been hosting

jk... I know no one desires not to do that

but ya know, enough is enough with this program - I'd like to see some more passion from these guys on that topic - seems WAY too 'acceptable' - how about some FIRE to WIN, some FIRE to make the NCAA's, some FIRE to play in the damn postseason games their university hosts on THEIR HOME FRIGGIN FIELD

these guys should be borderline FURIOUS to watch OTHER teams play on THEIR turf for goodness sake

I don't see that - don't hear that, don't read that, nothing - I see nothing but silence...or excuses - and it's friggin SHAMEFUL
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  12. HUSID

HUSID Active Member

Spoke with Jeff at the event and he was VERY pleased with everything associated with it. He mentioned to me that Hofstra was going to go after the NCAA Women's Lacrosse championship...felt that Shuart Stadium would be the perfect venue. Also mentioned that the Chairperson of the NCAA Wrestling Championship (Hofstra serving as host school) in 2016 is also the chairperson of the women's lacrosse championship...All good stuff...and yes, he mentioned that Hofstra does make some money by hosting but he did not mention how much...An event like this with 13,500 people attending and what more than four hours of national ESPN coverage has got to benefit our programs!
  13. tedhofstra

tedhofstra Member

Thanks for the insight and cool to here about Hofstra trying to host a women's lacrosse national championship weekend and also great to hear Hofstra gets some of the revenue. Did he say anything about trying to get the men's lacrosse quarterfinals again in a few years? They certainly couldn't do both men's quarters and women's Final Four same year but maybe they can rotate.
  14. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

You cant buy this type of exposure. remember a few short years back that rabinowitz didnt want it because it would interfere with graduation. I am glad he came around.
  15. BlueHenBill

BlueHenBill New Member

Congratulations to Hofstra for the attendance. Long Island is a Lax hotbed and Newark, DE isn't, although Baltimore is only 1 hour away. I guess not enough Baltimoreans (and Dukies) made the trip to UD. Here is a comparison of 2014 avg. home attendance among the participants and the host schools -

Maryland 2,545 JHU 2,763
    Notre Dame 1,980 Duke 2,130
    Albany 1,271 Drexel 726
    Avg. 1,932 Avg 1,573
    Hofstra 1,210 UD 574
    Avg 1,751 Avg 1,323
    Bryant 719
    Avg 1,401
    Denver 2,173
    Avg 1,493

Obvioulsy, Denver skews the avg because they are the only participant not within driving distance. ND draws decent for almost any sport almost wherever they play. UD's poor Lax seasons for at least the the past 3 years have siginificantly depressed attendance and interest in Lax. Plus UD fans are definitley torn when it comes to rooting for fellow CAA member and big rival Drexel. I had no real rooiting interst in any of the teams and stayed home (1 hour north of Newark) to watch on TV, as probably did many other possible fans.
  16. Flying Dutchmen

Flying Dutchmen Active Member

Local interest was what sold out the stadium on Saturday. There were good crowds for the representative schools, but local people, mainly families with children, sold out the event.

Maybe it was the Thompsons and Notre Dame that pushed the crowd over the top, but I think the event would have sold well regardless.
  17. tedhofstra

tedhofstra Member

I am also very frustrated by Hofstra missing out on playing home quarterfinal for third straight time (2009, 2011 and 2014) but I am still happy event was success because I want us to continue getting to host it. Hopefully it's just a matter of time before Hofstra is playing on this stage at Shuart. It was an incredibly cool experience when they did so in 1999 and 2001.
  18. stuball888

stuball888 Active Member

They did it with John Danowski at the helm. ST just cant seem to get this team over the hump. BTW_ congrats to Dino who has his team in the final four in 8 straight years.