Media Thread

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by MetSox, Nov 8, 2007.

1. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

MetSox... Your blog is the only thing I am looking forward to about this season... Keep keeping it real
    DU_Trogdor likes this.
  2. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Good write up MetSox. However I couldn't help myself but laugh/chuckle each time you mentioned depth, whether at guard or the frontcourt. When have we ever used depth under the Bru Crew? On paper we may have depth but all that means is we will run our 7 man lineup early and often. This is not the only season we have had depth on paper that turned out to never show up on the court, I would be shocked if that changes now.
  3. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

Probably most people left here never saw Jim Rullo play or perhaps have ever heard of him, but today seems like perhaps a good day to leave this here.
    http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/571674?referrer_id=1566508

Give the article a read but here are a few quotes
    "That didn’t matter to Rullo, who took a Malvern squad that hadn’t won back-to-back Inter-Ac titles in decades and accomplished the feat in six years. And it shouldn’t matter, not to a guy who walked on at Drexel and ended up helping the program to the NCAA Tournament in 1996."

"It only took him two years to make history at Neumann."

"And as humble as Rullo is trying to be about it, there’s no denying the fact that making the NCAA Tournament is in some ways addicting for the young men who make it there -- a small taste is never enough."
  4. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

I remember watching him play. I never realized that he was a walk on.

Mason.. Linderman.. Rollo.. The list of players who are now coaches grows. I would take any of those three on the bench but most of all..

I can't help but wish that Malik would make up with the administration and come back. He's got a front office job in Atlanta so it would obviously be a pay cut but imagine having a guy come in to Drexel who could say, "I played here.. I got to the NBA.. and I can help you do the same."

He played for Herrion... He played for Popovich... He's wicked smart... and he's just what the program needs.
  5. BDragon

BDragon Member

I graduated with Jim and had a few classes with him. Outstanding person, humble, down-to-earth, great personality. Would hire him in a second to take over this program. He would run a classy program, that would not underachieve. He was a walk-on for Eddie Burke and he also played baseball. BTW, it was 1994 that he helped lead the team to the NCAA's. Rullo graduated that spring and wasn't around for the 1995 and 96 trips to the dance.
  6. DBALL

DBALL Active Member

Rullo was a smart player who played within himself. Lack of size and athleticism, made up for it by taking care of the ball and always knowing where his teammates were. Had a nice mid range jumper. By far best walk on we ever had. Having him as a new coach is an interesting choice.
  7. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

8. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

9. ferkel

ferkel Member

I have one quibble with the article. If Drexel joined Division 1 in 1973, then UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas and Duke also joined Division 1 in 1973. That's because the NCAA went to the division set up in 1973.

In 1970, Drexel joined the Major College Division of the Middle Atlantic Conference, joining Temple, LaSalle and St Joseph's. That was the major change. And yes, I know I'm probably the only one who cares about that.
  10. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Thanks, ferkel. I've brought that up in the past as well but you're right: no one is interested in that aspect of big time college basketball history.
  11. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

http://mobile.philly.com/sports/?ws...ges/drexel/&id=369363431&betaPreview=redesign

Adam Hermann's latest from last night's game.

Its appalling to me that Bruiser gets on these kids for a lack of pride. They leave it all on the floor every night. There were points at last night's game where players were looking at each other asking "What is he talking about?" On two instances I saw upper classmen actively arguing with Bruiser on their way down the court after the previous play.

One prime example of what went wrong last night was matchups. For example, at one point, Austin Williams ended up covering Tyler Sebring. Now, Austin had probably the best game that I have seen him play in his two years at Drexel but he is not the kind of defender who is capable of covering a player like Sebring who is 6'8 and shoots 40% from outside the arc.

More times than not this season I have seen Bruiser out coached, and last night was another example. To say that Elon did not run plays is bunk and while it might have been an exaggeration, what Elon did was run sets and create shots in a way that rendered Drexel's defense helpless. They ran pick and rolls, and guys like Steve Santa Ana ran all over the court setting picks and creating shots for himself. When in the clutch they fouled the wrong player(s) and just did not run plays on the offensive end of the court. They have one set against zone, and it is not even one that is designed to play against a 1-3-1 like Elon was running. The foul line where Drexel has one of its bigs is flooded, and a player needs to run a pass through three defenders to get the ball to the low block.

There are a lot of problems here and the pride that his players were showing is not one of them. Just once I would like to see Bru take one shred of blame for the team's loss.

And just one more thing of note: This Elon team is going to be one to watch over the next two years. Santa Ana, Seibring, and Dainan Swoope are freshmen. Dmitri Thompson is a sophomore. Luke Eddy and Christian Hairston are juniors. They've got some firepower coming back. Keep an eye on them.
  12. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

That all occurred before I was born, but in reading different sources, while we joined the Middle Atlantic Conference in 70, we weren't considered a major school until the divisional split in 73 when we joined Division 1. I'm guessing that meant we wouldn't have been allowed to participate in what we know now as the D1 NCAA Tournament during those years after we had been in what is now the D2 NCAA Tournament.

While UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas and Duke may have technically joined D1 at the same time as Drexel, they would have been playing in the University Division which was the precursor to D1, giving them access to what is now the D1 NCAA Tournament.
  13. ferkel

ferkel Member

Sorry, DrachenFire, you are mistaken. And one other thing bothered me about the article. There is a difference between an "Institute of Technology", such as MIT or the former Drexel Institute of Technology, and a "Technical Institute" such as the "ITT Technical Institute."
  14. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely interested in where I have my facts wrong; can't get to where you want to go without knowing where you've been.

I've got the Middle Atlantic Conference champions history and Drexel history showing us as a College Division member:
    http://www.gomacsports.com/documents/2015/10/8//MAC_MBB_CHAMPIONS.pdf?id=2246
    http://www.gomacsports.com/documents/2012/9/7/MAC_History.pdf?

Our wiki page, as well as the D2 Men's Basketball wiki pages for the years given in Drexel's wiki, states we were in the D2 Tourney in 57, 60, 66 and 67:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drexel_Dragons_men's_basketball

Our college basketball reference page shows us in the MAC starting in the 70-71 season, but has us as "nm" (not a major school) through the 72-73 season. It isn't until 73-74 that we lose the "nm" which is the first year of the 3 divisional NCAA setup:
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/drexel/

I'm guessing it's the 70-71 through 72-73 seasons that you're disagreeing with our status. The "nm," to me, signified that we would not have been eligible for what is now the D1 Men's Tournament.