Media Thread

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by MetSox, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

2. philcski

philcski Active Member

No votes in either poll. I gotta admit, I expected at least a few. Anybody who watched this team at MSG would have to consider them in the top 25.
  3. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

Maybe the Damion Lee injury rattled some voters? Losing him for the season would be horrible.
  4. philcski

philcski Active Member

Any updates yet?
    Would be horrible for sure. For both the team and him. A really good kid on top of being a baller.
  5. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

6. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

7. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

8. DU_Trogdor

DU_Trogdor Member

Lol, did Nova Southeast actually start 5 guards, or is this just ESPN being lazy?
  9. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Conference USA is pretty bad, and completely overrated. Memphis and Louisville carried that conference for years and both are gone. Now it's just a bunch of mediocre mid-majors who think that they are better than they really are scattered around the country. I can really see the talent in that conference dropping off a lot. ODU is in for a rude awakening when they discover that their new conference will be ranked worse than the CAA every year.
  10. DrachenFire

Looks like he's doing pretty well for them, shooting 45% from 3:
    http://www.nsusharks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2869

Aquil wound up at Shaw University:
    http://www.shawbears.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/players/aquilyounger03au

I looked at who was in that conference and, what a mess. The worst part is I have no idea who is staying of going. I know ECU and Tulane are moving to the AAC and there are other teams moving in, but yikes. I guess having a lineup of Bowls like this make losing to NC Central at home easier to swallow:
    http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/bowl-partners-12.html
  11. philcski

philcski Active Member

UAB, La Tech, and Southern Miss are all very good, Charlotte is good, UTEP and MTSU are decent, and the rest of the league is horrible. That's what happens when you shoehorn football into a basketball conference. In the mid 90s early 2000s Conference USA was ridiculously good. Now they're destined to be the 17th ranked conference thanks to all the dead weight. Same thing will happen in the American Athletic Conference, to a lesser extent.
  12. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

I mean, who DOESN'T want to have a chance to play in the Beef O'Brady's Bowl at Tropicana Field??? Man, Drexel's really missing out by not having a Division IA football team.
  13. dragonsrock

dragonsrock New Member

Wow. Nice gym for the NSU Sharks. Congrats to Casey.
  14. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

Looking at the roster on the teams website, one of the starters is listed as G/F (he is 6'5"), all the others are guards.

Casey may be showing something different, but it seems like the same old thing for Aquil averagin 4.4 points and 4.6 turnovers per game.
  15. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

Major may not be scoring but at least I don't cringe every time he steps on the court. He may get give silly fouls but he is pretty reliable handling the ball/ not turning it over.
  16. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

The fact that he as a big man can't crack a D2 5-guard starting lineup and can't make an impact in 20 minutes of playing time answers pretty well the question of whether his talents were going unused here.
  17. DrachenFire

My only issue with Major is that he doesn't even seem to look to score. It's like being a man down on offense. At least Aquil would try and take it to the hoop. Of course, he would then inevitably wind up in trouble and turn the ball over. Aquil was also much more sticky on defense and seemed to have a knack for getting 5 second calls. Major is much more composed and in control running the offense.
  18. DBALL

DBALL Active Member

In Aquil's first year, he was shy about shooting. The second year he built the courage to go to the rack but didn't shoot a whole lot. Overall, all I now remember about Aquil was that he liked to dribble all over the place. His departure has worked out for the team and Aquil.
  19. Dragon for life

Because Major is a Freshman I am thinking Bruiser enforces/encourages him not to shoot.
    Also he doesn't have many minutes / only in to give Frantz a breather. He averages 7 minutes a game. So essentially he is doing his job of being a pure passing point guard.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  20. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

Not to turn this into a media thread (or claim I am media) but Im looking to do a mailbag later this week on the blog. If anyone wants to get me questions you might have from the statistical to the ridiculous, ill grab a few and research em as best I can before posting on the blog. You can PM me here or email dragonsspeaks@gmail.com. Thanks as always.
  21. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

The mailbag is posted. Thanks to all those who sent q's. I'll do this again in early CAA play.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  22. dragonsrock

dragonsrock New Member

Just read it. Very good read.
  23. Dragon for life

24. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

25. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

Thanks!

And the POW is well deserved for Frantz, especially since the rest of the CAA appears to be sucking pretty damn badly.
  26. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...uld_we_care_about_the_mythical__City_6__.html

"Article" about whether Drexel should play Nova the forming of a City 6. Included are tweets where Marshall goes at it with Joe Lunardi.

To show the quality of the commentary this is included.

27. DU_Trogdor

DU_Trogdor Member

28. DrachenFire

"I think all our big guys are way more athletic than the guys that we had. Daryl had great I.Q., Samme was undersized, Dartaye wasn’t a great athlete, but he was big. I think these guys, athletically, are better than those guys,” Flint said. “Does he have the same IQ as Daryl or do they have the same basketball moxie as Samme? I don’t know about that, but from an athletic standpoint, they’re much better than the guys we’ve had in the past.”

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/201...-to-grow-up-fast-in-young-dragons-frontcourt/

This better mean they will be used for more than just setting screens at the top of the key.

Also, two CBS talking heads (Norlander and Gottlieb) apparently think that this is the year for some reason.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ge-basketball-conference-champion-predictions
    Water Boy likes this.
  29. RGS

RGS Member

30. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Glad we're setting the bar high.