Mason to A10, Cougars next move?

Discussion in 'College of Charleston Cougars' started by ODUgobigblue, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ODUgobigblue

ODUgobigblue New Member

Do you retract your move to the CAA, or do you stay the course?
  2. CofCougs

CofCougs New Member

I wouldn't mind the A-10 at all but they are very weak in baseball which is our 2nd best program (sailing being our national championship sport here).
  3. CharlestonDuke

CharlestonDuke New Member

Wouldn't mind the A-10? Obviously. Sadly, that isn't a option. If Davidson goes A-10 and GSU and Appy go SBC there won't be a conference to go home to.
  4. GACoug

GACoug Member

No going back. ASU and GSU already have a foot out the door.

Will enjoy being in CAA with or without GMU.
  5. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

Refreshing.

Leave it to an ODU fan to try to stir the pot.
  6. tiger10

tiger10 New Member

I would like to know from a CoC viewpoint, what should the CAA do now that GMU is leaving...?
  7. trojcofc

trojcofc Member

This is bad for CofC.
    The logical move of expanding with Albany and SBU tachs the CAA even more north.

CofC and UNCW become even greater outliers.

To answer your question:
    Do whatever it takes to get Davidson to join.
  8. polepino

polepino New Member

Damn was looking forward to playing you guys on the regular. Sorry to tease you guys and bounce out the front door ha.
  9. GACoug

GACoug Member

I don't think Davy will move, so I would go after Elon. They are investing in their sports and help with the geography. Their basketball has gotten better every year under Matheny, and they should be the favorites to win the SoCon next year.
  10. ODUgobigblue

ODUgobigblue New Member

I don't stir the pot. I asked out of curiosity so I could get CofC perspective on this. If you read almost any thread on GMU to the A10, almost every one has someone expressing concern for CofC. You, my friend, stir pots :004_stongue:

Good input from the CofC fans. I hope that an A10 invite may be forthcoming for you guys, soon. I would think that would be an ideal league going forward, given your fan support and tradition. There shouldn't be too many schools higher in the pecking order, either.
  11. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

I don't stir pots...how dare you!

I have to wonder, why does an ODU fan care (you're no longer in the CAA) and why would an ODU fan "hope that CoC gets an A10 invite?" For some strange reason, ODU fans hate the CAA...and like MaineJeff...want it to burn. That, my friend, is stirring the pot...a pot that is no longer in your kitchen.
  12. ODUgobigblue

ODUgobigblue New Member

Mkay. Maybe I like college sports. Continuing this banter on the CofC board is useless and derailing to the point of the thread. You may PM me if you have further questions ;)
  13. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

GSU & APPY announce move to Sunbelt this Wed.
  14. masonhoopsfan

masonhoopsfan Active Member

Stay in the CAA and become the dominant club, alongside JMU and Towson!
  15. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

Says the guy moving to the A-10.....lol.
  16. masonhoopsfan

masonhoopsfan Active Member

I went to Charleston as well for my MA so I am still in the CAA (for now)!
  17. CofCougs

CofCougs New Member

A lot of our people still haven't caught on to this board but we have 28 pages of banter on the topic on our board. Come on over and take a look.
  18. geewiz

geewiz Active Member

Dominant club?

Funny how NU and Drexel isn't in your mix of dominant clubs ...
  19. 82hawk

82hawk Active Member

Just wondering about UNCG.

I went to high school in Greensboro and it has phenomenal high school athletics overall. Also, Greensboro is the third largest city in NC. What are your thoughts on why UNCG hasn't excelled in the SoCon? IMO, they are a sleeping giant and I can't figure out why it hasn't happened.
  20. trojcofc

trojcofc Member

I am no UNCG expert, but I will take a stab at it.

1. I think the Greensboro arena is a curse and a blessing because the get loaded up with these guaranteed games against ACC teams. Brings in revenue but hard to gain confidence if you are constantly getting flogged by ACC teams at him.

2. The bigger issue has been crappy coaching.
    With an very good coach, Fran McCaffrey, UNCG was solid.
    After he left they decided to rehire Mike Dement, who had parlayed 1 good season at UNCG to a job at SMU. @SMU he was the definition of mediocre. He returned to UNCG and go figure was awful yet they inexplicably kept him for 7 seasons.
    He was replaced by Wes Miller who re-energized a putrid situation mid season. This bought him the title of official coach. Unfortunately Wes has fallen back to reality now. He is very inexperienced though may slowly improve with each passing season. He seems to be able to get talent, but the schemes are very basic.
  21. devyanks90

devyanks90 Active Member

CofC's beat writer has been imploring Delaware to go to the A10 for most sports and a BCS (not just FBS) conference for football for the last couple hours on twitter while supposedly covering a baseball game.

Weird.
  22. trojcofc

trojcofc Member

Andrew Miller has no loyalty to CofC, and even less loyalty towards secondary interests of CofC.

FWIW the tweets essentially were saying A10 is an upgrade for Delaware.
  23. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

Well, indications now seem to point to an Elon announcement soon.

Newer speculation now on UAlbany.

Perhaps Davidson, no one seems to know though the A10 rumblings have really cooled off for the moment.
  24. trojcofc

trojcofc Member

I think Davidson is still a long shot. They may be talking to the CAA as some sort of backup plan.

I think CofC's happiness will depend on 2 things.
    1. If the CAA survives which kind of goes without saying. If not then this move is officially a colossal mistake.
    Returning to the SOCON is not an option for us as that bridge has been burned. Most of the SOCON view basketball only schools with disdain and there is particular venom towards CofC.

2. The Southern Division.
    This was apparently promised to us and a condition to our arrival. (at least voiced by the BOT members that initially voted against but flipped)
    What some of the fans of the other schools fail to realize is that divisions are essential to the survival of the CAA's southern flank. The geographic footprint is simply too big to sustain as a single huge mass.
    Unless the CAA becomes extremely competitive(multiple bids, top 15 RPI) The NCAA payouts won't come close to covering travel. CofC is a geographic outlier. Right now their are only 2 conceivable bus trips on the schedule UNCW and W&M. I am not sure what they will do with JMU, but in the SOCON we flew to Birmningham which is a 7 hour bus trip.

I assume that UNCW is feeling the pinch as well.
    Previously UNCW had doable bus trips to VCU, ODU, W&M, GMU and to a lesser extent GSU and JMU.
    4 of those are now gone replaced only by CofC(which is 3 hours away).
    Drexel fans can scoff at my insistence of adding southern members but they are perfectly situated geographically with most schools being a short drive away. So they are really in no position to comment.

The current regime(AD + Pres) was satisfied with this configuration but I am not sure the next regime will think the same way.
  25. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

I have no use for any CAA program north of the NYC area (save fb only members). I'm for bringing in some southern blood and maybe a program from PA (i.e. Lehigh)...like to get a few who value both basketball & baseball. Give me a southern and northern division so as to cut down on travel and call it a day.

I couldn't care less about gym size or # of students...I want geographic rivals and competitive programs.
  26. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

I think you are safe on part 1.

On part 2, Elon seems very likely - which should be a plus. Maybe there is another in the southern flank in play but I can't see anyone south of Charleston.

Beyond that - if the So Con return is not available which I could understand, not sure what other options would be agreeable. If CAA travel is a problem, A10 would be
    worse.

I think the marriage between the CAA and Charleston is going to be excellent for both.

On the Drexel fans - some of them - just get used to their complaining. Drexel is a great member to have though most of their posters seem to look at everything from a Drexel only perspective. They seem to have almost zero interest on conference success as a whole.
  27. hoopstarter

hoopstarter New Member

I am hearing Charleston is considering a move to Conference USA joining UNC Charlotte and Old Dominion. This would be a major step up for Basketball and Baseball from the CAA which is in serious free fall.

There is also talk that Coach Natasha Adair could be in play for the just announced vacancy at Texas Tech. Stay tuned.
  28. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

Odd considering the CoC Prez distinctly mentioned exposing the University up the eastern seaboard was a major reason for going the CAA route. Hard to believe they now have pivoted to spreading the schools exposure to the Mexican border. If occasional travel to Boston was something to crunch numbers, the comptroller must be evaluating trips to El Paso as we speak.

Also, major step up in basketball? You must be drunk tonight.
  29. trojcofc

trojcofc Member

Last I checked we haven't had a football team in a hundred years.

Anyway that is a pretty bizarre rumor.

As far as travel is concerned CUSA is no different travel wise than the CAA(in it's current form) or A10.
    3 bus trips and the rest are flights.
  30. hoopstarter

hoopstarter New Member

If the CAA ceases to exist it is not such a good option. To be in a CUSA with ODU and UNC Charlotte would be a strong move for Charleston.