Lee Transferring

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by DrachenFire, Mar 30, 2015.

1. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

2. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

good for him!

Good luck Damion - you deserve to play for a winner.
  3. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I saw this and it is unfortunate for Drexel, great for Lee. He deserves it. Pick well! So when he makes the NBA, will be be like a Russell Wilson and only be referred to as from Wisconsin, despite that he did most of his work at NC State? I hope Drexel still comes up with him in his future and he becomes our 1st NBA player since Malik. And really the third overall with Michael Anderson.
  4. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

PS: if this isn't the definition of ROCK BOTTOM - I don't know what is.. and for the record, I called this outcome months ago.

Will SOMEBODY (anybody) have the balls to stand up and do what is so painfully obvious that needs to be done?

Probably not.
  5. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Hope the injury bug stays away and he winds up a high draft pick.
  6. dan10

dan10 Active Member

7. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

http://thetriangle.org/sports/damion-lee-explains-his-decision-to-transfer/

I don't think this really surprises anyone. Kids today look out for themselves, as he says in the article that what coaches are telling them (even though the coaches are most likely just using that for their own advantage). If Damion was loyal, he would have went to Towson to begin with.

It's hard to blame kids for taking advantage of the rules that exist. Look at Bryn Forbes, I'm guessing his situation wasn't really that dire that he needed to return to Lansing, but he did and without missing a year he is now playing in the Final Four, unlikely if he stayed at Cleveland State.
  8. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Why wouldnt he look out for himself? I dont feel like he is turning his back on drexel at all. The kid is a stud. Playing in front of fans and having an opportunity to really been seen on the highest stage can only help him on his quest to become an nba player. Drexel has not given him that opportunity of success that he deserves. We had the teams to do it, and failed. Hope he starts and shines wherever he goes, because to me, he has more than earned that right. The rules allow him to do this, cant fault him in the least. He still earned his degree (come June) from Drexel. Drexel owes him nothing.
  9. DrachenFire

Was just about to post the article from The Triangle. I have to wonder if he hadn't broken his hand and had a legitimate shot at the scoring record if he would have stuck around.

Wherever he ends up, he's going to a complete 180 of a situation. From a losing, dead atmosphere to a winning one, probably playing in front of 8500+ every night. I wish him all the best, hope he goes on a long run next year and has a blast.
  10. DrachenFire

11. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Just read it... "Potential blowback from Drexel fans".... Lol.. What Drexel fan could possibly be mad at him - or anyone - who is sick of playing for a program that stacks the deck against their players and gives them next to no chance of winning.
  12. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

"Well, yea. That's what I meant. The immediately eligible thing is what I was referring to.
    So, Mr. Lee, interested in working on that MBA at a top 20 business school?"

LOL!!! Is that a parody site?

Anyway, I gotta say I am REALLY happy for Lee. I saw this coming a few months back. We talked about it at lunch before the UDEL game, actually..

I think that if Trimble stays at Maryland he might end up there.. Heck he might end up there anyway. The trio of Tremble, Lee, and Stone could be VERY interesting. Heck, I almost think Lee would be the PERFECT 6th man.. if he doesnt start (which he should).

Bruiser "wasn't happy." Boy, what does that mean by Bruiser standards?

“He was upset,” Lee admitted and his slight smile disappeared. “Definitely upset. He talked about how I could be one of the best players he’s ever coached here, all that. But the one thing I tried to make clear and harp on with the coaches is that this is my life and my decision. I’ve got to do this for myself.”

How about this, Bru... Lee already WAS the best player you've ever coached in your career.

There will be no backlash from THIS Drexel fan. I will cheer him on and follow him through next season and beyond. Good luck, Damion!

That said... What now??????????
    DU_Trogdor likes this.
  13. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I thought about starting a 2016 expectations type thread, but felt it was too soon.
  14. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Also I want to add (I just said it on Twitter) the piece that Adam wrote for The Triangle was fantastic. He's written so many gems this year. Its much better than watching a previous beat writer in the act of blowing Bruiser week after week..
  15. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

I imagine for Bru, it means a shopping trip for an asbestos seat liner.

I guess you never know with Zilmer, but one would think that next year is do or die and the do just got a bit harder.
  16. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Medic - count me in as a fan of wherever he tranfers... This actually works out well because while I still refuse to watch this dumpster fire, I will actually have a team to root for in 2015-2016!
    MedicSBK likes this.
  17. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

Well no matter what he will be graduating and finnishing as an undergraduate dragon. So I think analysts will still say former "Drexel Star".
  18. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

Drexel is in complete shambles, he deserves a much better environment.

Georgetown or a Pac-12 school.
  19. philcski

philcski Active Member

Let's see what he owes Drexel:
    1) He's a great dude (who unfortunately had an injury bug)
    2) He played his heart out on an awful team as the only legitimate offensive threat
    3) He will graduate on time

So to me that means he owes nothing to the school or to Bruiser. As a fan of the program I'm terribly disappointed he's decided to leave but as a fan of him as a person I think he's making the right decision by pursuing opportunities elsewhere.
  20. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

It will be interesting to see how Lee does as he presumably steps up in competition. He hasn't exactly torn in up against major conference foes with Drexel.
    Unless I missed something, he has played in 8 games against Colorado, Miami, USC, Penn State, UCLA, Rutgers, Arizona, and Virginia. He averaged a respectable (but subpar for him) 13.6 points per game but shot a Tavon Allen-like 33.6% from the field in those games. [By comparison, Tavon shot 34.6% in the same games except playing Alabama rather than Virginia ] Take out the two pretenders (USC and Rutgers) and Damion's numbers drop to 10 ppg on 25% shooting.

It would be interesting to know how the NBA scout judge those struggles against better teams and if that had any impact on his decision to try and step up and show he can play with the big boys. Hopefully he can find the right fit, I think he is better than those numbers suggest, but I guess we'll see.
  21. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I get what you are saying, but in those games he was trying way too hard to do too much. He was always the one trying to actually step up in those games. When on a better team he wont have to try so hard and should have better success. There will also be other pieces wherever he goes where he wont have to try and do everything, including forwards in the post. I expect him to have success wherever he goes, whether it is as a 6th man or a starter.
  22. DrachenFire

He's also played his entire career in one of the most vanilla of vanilla offenses. Can't wait to see how he does in an actual system without the weight of the world on him.
  23. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Vanilla of vanilla is generous. Drexel's offense is the club soda of offense. No flavor.
  24. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Except I actually enjoy club soda.

Drexel's offense is more like Diet Coke - undrinkable and offensive to my taste buds.
  25. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Dont forget about leaving a bad taste in your mouth...
    DU_Trogdor likes this.
  26. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Yea... And repeated exposure to it has been proven to cause all kinds of health problems
  27. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

28. DrachenFire

Don't go changing the subject to playing for the Drexel Men's Basketball program.
  29. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

You know that's an interesting point. I wish there was some sort of "disabled list" in college basketball. The number of injuries that this team has had since Chris Fouch's arrival has been astronomical. I wonder how much of Lee's decision was for preservation for his body as he looks at his future (hopefully) in the NBA.
  30. PhilaMonarchFan

PhilaMonarchFan Active Member

Mason's Arledge transferred to ODU.
    ODU's Dimitri Batten transferred to Boston College.

BOTH completed their undergraduate work and graduated with a year of eligibility remaining. At their new schools, both were available to play immediately, without having to sit out a year.

I don't remember it happening much in the past. To me it seems to be rather new but it's something that's happening with increasing frequency.

What is Lee's major? That may give a clue to where he may continue his studies.