Keatts in year 1- Will they surprise?

Discussion in 'UNCW Seahawks' started by billthebighawkfan, Oct 19, 2014.

1. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

That's the big question that I have right now. Down the road, it really looks likes UNCW is going to be a train going downhill. Keatts has already turned the program around with all the players that he has coming, but can they turn it around this year? That's the big question. And, it's a good one. The big hurdle will be the lack of shooters with this team-a real question mark. Barring injuries, this team should be able to play Keatts style of ball for the most part-they can put out an athletic team. The Hawks should be picked near the bottom in the CAA to start, but do they exceed expectations?

My gut feeling is yes. If the Hawks stay away from injury, like a Freddie Jackson knee, they've got a real chance to surprise. They will be as fit as any team and they have some seniors and upperclassmen. Initially, they should/may take some lumps against top quality teams, but finishing at or above .500 in this CAA seems possible. This team could also be much better at the end when/if Talley and Pugh are more adjusted to the D1 game as true freshmen PGs. Ponder, Jackson, Spruill, Sherwood,Williams, and Yemi M. are veterans so they should be ready. Ogbodo and Gettys may have something to say about this as well in the post. We shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised if this team was at least competitive in the first year. The following year should be another step forward.
  2. CaryHawk

CaryHawk Member

I hope Keatts can turn it around this year but I doubt it. I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling from Midnight Madness.

Random thoughts:

Big Ced - I like this kid. He works hard and gets better each year. I expect big things especially if Yemi can play Center so he can move over to Power Forward.

Yemi - I have no idea if he can play basketball but the dude is BIG and solid. If he can be our starting Center this team might be decent.

Chuck O. - I have a good feeling about Chuck. I hope he can take his game to the next level. If Yemi doesn't pan out I wouldn't be surprised if he started at Power Forward with Ced at Center.

Getty's - I expect nothing from him. Anything he does will be extra in my mind.

Sherwood - He has a great stroke but can't hit the 3 consistently in games. He seems like a great practice player to me.

Point Guards - I have a really bad feeling about this position (especially since I've heard Ponder might help out). Pugh seems to be a good athlete and has potential but I did not get the feeling his basketball IQ was very high - rule #1 in a dunk contest is you need to actually make a dunk. Seriously, he didn't make a dunk in the last 2 rounds of the dunk contest and seemed to be oblivious to the 30 second clock. I don't really remember much from Talley either good or bad. Denzel Ingram (redshirt) reminded me of Chris Dixon...I thought he looked pretty good.

Ponder & Freddie - I am ready for them to graduate. In my opinion, they do not play smart and aren't skilled enough to overcome it. Hopefully I'm wrong and they have breakout seasons.

Very early pick for a starting line-up:

PG - Talley
    SG - Ponder
    SF - Spruill/Jackson
    PF - Big Ced
    C - Yemi

I hope I'm wrong but I think we are a year away from being a top 3 team.

CaryHawk
  3. bricksnivy

bricksnivy Member

There are no rules in a dunk contest, especially an intrasquad dunk contest. Maybe you're correct on Pugh's basketball IQ, but if it is solely based on his Midnight Madness dunk contest performance, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
  4. CaryHawk

CaryHawk Member

My determination of Pugh's basketball IQ is 100% based off of Midnight Madness so I definitely could be wrong. I hope I am.

I will say that the dunk contest was the worst I have ever seen. The guys looked great dunking in warm ups (Ced looked like a beast) but kept trying tricks during the contest and kept missing. The Championship was sooooo bad the announcer made them do it again. Pugh again missed all of his dunks and Freddie made one easy dunk so was the winner. Very sad!
  5. bricksnivy

bricksnivy Member

My disdain for dunk contests may shine through, but I think you just described 9 of the last 10 NBA contests as well. Also, without seeing the contest, should I be worried that two guards were the dunk contest finalist?