John Goldsberry's Jersey Retired

Discussion in 'UNCW Seahawks' started by billthebighawkfan, Oct 11, 2014.

1. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

One of the all time great UNCW basketball players is getting his jersey retired this February. Congrats John! I think I speak on many peoples behalf here by stating that you were a tremendous basketball player and a great ambassador for our university. You played the game with great effort, tenacity, mental acumen, and skill. And, are deserving of such a great award! Congrats John on a great ride at UNCW and abroad. You are truly deserving of this honor.
    Billthebighawkfan

PS...your parents are good people! And, we have another message board as well...

http://csnbbs.com/thread-707005.html
  2. geewiz

geewiz Active Member

JJ Barea says he's still waiting for Goldsberry to try to shut him down in the NBA ... :)
  3. billthebighawkfan

billthebighawkfan Moderator

He sure did in college!;)
  4. Tommy Teke

Tommy Teke New Member

Looking forward to seeing his jersey hanging in the rafters
  5. seahawkhoopsforever

seahawkhoopsforever Active Member

I remember Goldsberry shutting him down and frustrating him so much JJ tossed his headband into the crowd at Trask out of Frustration. JJ doesn't have to worry about that because they don't play defense in the NBA.
    ezrider likes this.
  6. Proff

Proff Active Member

JG is going to be the color guy for this year's video of the basketball games.

I also remember the night he worked on JJ. JG is/was the kind of player that any coach would love to have.
  7. geewiz

geewiz Active Member

I laugh how after all these years you guys still hang your hat on that one game at the Trask where both teams barely scored 40 points.

JJB had 17 in the semi-final loss in Richmond a month later, so JG didn't quite "shut him" the second time around.

But it's fun to reminisce. Hopefully UNCW under Keatts can come back from the dead, cuz the CAA really needs a very good UNCW hoops team.
  8. seahawkhoopsforever

seahawkhoopsforever Active Member

And UNCW got the win so he did his job. JJ scored over 20 on a regular basis so 17 on what i'm guessing was about 20+ shots isn't all that bad
  9. bricksnivy

bricksnivy Member

I would say Goldsberry did a fine job on JJ in the conference tournament. Barea was 6-19 from the floor, with 5 assists and 6 turnovers in a 15 point loss. Perhaps you have a different definition of shut-down defense, but that's pretty effective.