Inside/Injury Information

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by WM Beancounter, Nov 11, 2010.

1. WM Beancounter

WM Beancounter Moderator

It is great to see so many new posters here, a phenomenon that has come along with the recent success of the football and basketball programs. However, with this influx, we need to go over an unwritten rule about the posting of inside and/or injury information here.

Basically, if you are privy to information about injury status or otherwise inside information regarding W&M student athletes for whatever reason, your anonymity on these boards does not give you the license to broadcast that information.

These boards are definitely read by members of the W&M athletic department AND members of other school's athletic departments. They are also visited by players, players' families, and members of the press.

There is nothing illegal about posting such information on these boards. However, if you care about W&M athletics, and the grand majority of us here do, then let's not undermine the coaches ability to control this information, which can certainly impact how our teams play, impact how other teams prepare to face W&M, and therefore possibly impact the final score of a game.

Thanks. PM me with questions.
  2. Lord Botetourt

Lord Botetourt Active Member

I totally agree, Beancounter.

The only two points I would add on are the following.

Due to health care privacy laws such as (HIPPA and HITECH), the unauthorized release of medical information by someone in the Athletic Department could be illegal. So our posters should not encourage the AD, coaches, fellow players, etc. to release information to them so that they can post on here or elsewhere.

The second concern is one I am not too familiar with but want to throw it out there. It is actually a good thing that interest in Tribe sports warrants raising this as a concern. The NCAA has very strict guidelines around recruiting as well as around student-athlete requirements once enrolled. The College has a full time Compliance Director to deal with such issues. Posters should not run afoul of recruiting or student-athlete rules issued by the NCAA. This would apply to the "insider information" to which you referred.
  3. WML33T

WML33T Active Member

Man...

And then moments happen where you find out something in a crazy happenstance way that you REALLY wish you could share.

It's important to just remember to maintain self-control.

I had info earlier this year that really, was REALLY reliable - but wrong. It would have made me and others look silly.

Just like I have info that I just heard. That would be a big surprise this weekend if it turns out true, and from a reliable source, but who knows.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  4. billymac

billymac New Member

Your reliable source is right on...
  5. WML33T

WML33T Active Member

You are an evil, evil man.
  6. Feathers4Life

Feathers4Life New Member

Agree 100%. Go TRIBE. BEAT THE DUKES. LETS FOCUS ON THE GAME!
  7. WML33T

WML33T Active Member

fwiw - it wasn't about Callahan. My info was wrong (although watching the game I can see where the info came from).
  8. Dukester

Dukester Moderator

Because apparently you can't beat anyone else.

:004_ssmile:
  9. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

You're a mod [now] and the first thing you did was pull up a 2 year old thread to instigate smack?
  10. GSU_Pike51

GSU_Pike51 New Member

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.