I assume we will be pre-season #1 in 05?

Discussion in 'James Madison Dukes' started by jjthebutcher, Dec 21, 2004.

1. MassMan

MassMan New Member

Delaware fans should know what it feels like they had one just a couple years back.
  2. PhilthyHen

PhilthyHen New Member

Oh, right...2001. The year we blew donkey and STILL walloped UMass. Even Sam P put up 35 points on the minuteladies.
  3. GannonFan

GannonFan New Member

You see, at Delaware a non-winning season is just a blip on the screen - so rare that if you blink, you miss it. At UMass, it's just a part of life. Since 1968, UD's had 3 non-winning seasons. Umass has had 14. That's one non-winning season every 12.6 years for UD and one every 2.6 years for UMass. Seems like UMass is due - maybe Don Brown has a few more struggling years to go before he gets UMass up off the floor - I think 2006 is a good place to start - first year without the automatic loss to Delaware thanks to the A10 scheduling gods.
  4. GannonFan

GannonFan New Member

Question for you - UD is replacing 3 starters on offense and 7 on defense. JMU is replacing 5 starters on offense and 6 on defense (all from the UD/JMU game notes). So how is it that you see JMU returning a bunch of people? JMU certainly rode on the backs of a good offensive line and a good defense - 3 starting O-linemen will be gone and more than half the defense.
  5. ScottJMU

ScottJMU New Member

GF, read every Mickey quote since the title game-we're returning our best players. We'll be fine.
  6. GannonFan

GannonFan New Member

Oh, I see - probably will be better, what with getting all those hanger-on Seniors out of the way.
  7. 89Hen

89Hen New Member

Since 1980: UMass - 13 seasons of 6 or fewer wins. If anyone knows about losing seasons, it's umAss.

Since this is about JMU being #1 on a JMU board, I will weigh in and say, yes, JMU should be #1 to start the season next year and there will be five A10 teams in the Top 25 with two more getting votes.
  8. dukaholic

dukaholic Moderator

For one, I also said on this thread that Delaware very well could be picked #1 next year, and I believe that. If Riccio can cut down on some mistakes, the rest of your team can be really really good. I was very impressed by UD this year, and they have that kind of reputation that can get you the #1 spot in preseason polls. To be honest with you, the way they talked about JMU all year, eeking out wins, I'm nearly surprised that we were #1 in this year's postseason poll!

On offense we lose our fullback, tight end, and 3 offensive linemen. In our scheme, those guys are VERY important, but the press won't think as much about it. They'll see that we have Rascati back, Boxley back, and 2000 yards of rushing back, and they'll think we're loaded. BTW, our starting TE of two years ago redshirted this year, his senior year, and is back for next year. And we had a OT play a ton in the rotation the past two years (and started two years ago), so I feel okay about him getting thrown in there. I don't know about the other two OL, or about who will crush people from the FB position (Iorio was a great blocker).

On defense we lose a DE, a DT, both LB's, a CB and a Safety. The DT should be replaced by one of numerous guys that we had in the rotation this year (we had about 3 get big minutes and make big plays). We had another DE get a lot of minutes, a converted LB, in addition to a senior who redshirted this past year (Ryan Bache). We return both backup linebackers, the VPI transfer Mike Brown, and Akeem Jordan. Brown comes with an outstanding pedigree while Jordan has made big plays for us in each of his first two years. I honestly don't know who will play CB, but it can be argued that it's the least important position in our defensive scheme. We have a whole stable of safeties - they may not be as good as Rodney McCarter, but one of them will fill in there - Isaiah Dottin-Carter, Nick Adams, and Robbie Catterton. One of them will fit in there - and my guess is, one of those three may take Bruce Johnson's other safety spot.

My main question about next year is the O-line - and depth. This year we were able to sustain tons of injuries and not miss a beat. We were about 2 or 3 deep at every position, with either TALENTED underclassmen or really experienced guys. I don't know if we'll have that next year. I guess we just have to trust Mickey's recruiting.
  9. GannonFan

GannonFan New Member

BTW, I certainly think right now JMU will be the preseason number 1, for all that's worth - I'm not sure what other team out there in the final top 10 returns enough to vault ahead of JMU. And I agree with the last comments that it's all about depth - yes there are losses on offense and defense, and yes the argument can be made that rotations were used so really starters are being replaced with guys who had a lot of playing time. But the depth question will be whether after these guys move up to start will enough underclassmen be able to step up and be a part of the next rotation and provide the same kind of depth that was so helpful this year?
  10. FanOfCAABball

FanOfCAABball Member

I assume we will be pre-season #1 in 14?

Bump

It's "Find the oldest thread" game.

Your turn.