I assume we will be pre-season #1 in 05?

Discussion in 'James Madison Dukes' started by jjthebutcher, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jjthebutcher

jjthebutcher New Member

They can;t shaft us out of that can they? Hell we return a lot of people. My question then is who are the rest of the top 10?
  2. Blue Hen 93

Blue Hen 93 New Member

Absolutely you'll be preseason #1, just like Delaware was this year.

See where it got us?

Enjoy the target on your backs. :lol: Oh, and good luck. Congratulations again on the 2004 championship and enjoy it while it lasts, because you're still in the best conference in I-AA.
  3. dukaholic

dukaholic Moderator

At least we'll have Justin Rascati at QB next year instead of Sonny Riccio. That makes me sleep better at night.
  4. JMUPride

JMUPride New Member

count it :lol:

but honestly... im not looking forward to being #1 starting off next year... cant be go back to being unranked and unnoticed that way we can "surprise people"? :?
  5. UofRfan

UofRfan Active Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you wont be the preseason #1.
  6. Grizlaw

Grizlaw Member

I would think you will be, although another top team could pass you if they get some really good transfers in the offseason. That happened to us in 1995-96; we beat Marshall in 95 and both teams had pretty much the same players coming back, except Randy Moss transferred to Marshall, and with that, they started out as #1 and we were #2 (and deservedly so).
  7. jski1977

jski1977 New Member

I don't think so either. The "1-AA Media" - whatever that means has treated our run like Villanova's National Hoops title in 1985. Has it actually happened? What a fluke...
  8. Duke Dawg

Duke Dawg Moderator

I think we will be #1 in the preseason. We have too much returning.
  9. dukaholic

dukaholic Moderator

We do have a lot returning, especially skill position guys (and you know that's what the writers will see) ... but for some reason I don't think we'll be preseason #1.

Must be that West Coast media bias. :?
  10. 89Hen

89Hen New Member

2004 Sports Network Pre-season Poll:

4. Wofford
    5. Colgate
    6. Northern Iowa
    8. McNeese State
    9. Villanova
    11. Maine
    12. Western Illinois
    14. Northern Arizona
    15. Montana State
    16. Stephen F. Austin
    17. Grambling State
    19. Massachusetts
    20. Appalachian State
    21. Eastern Kentucky
    22. Northeastern
    24. North Carolina A & T

Not sure I want to be in the preseason Top 25. 15 of the 23 playoff eligible teams in the pre-season poll were not in the playoffs.
  11. boozeANDammo

boozeANDammo New Member

Preseason polls are... well... they just are. :?

I'm 50/50 on whether or not we'll be 1. The 1-AA media likes 'name' teams up there. Even with a national title and livin' in the A-10, we're still not a 'name' team. That's gonna impact some pollsters. :?
  12. dukaholic

dukaholic Moderator

It very well could be Delaware again.
  13. boozeANDammo

boozeANDammo New Member

14. Mottman

Mottman New Member

Unless we pick up 2 stud Defensive transfers, no way in hell is it Delaware.

Don't be surprised to see SIU and some other Gateway Conference teams back at the top again :roll:

It must get tiring being one of the "best" teams from one of the "best" conferences and then getting knocked on your ass every year.

A bold prediction, Montana starts out ranked top 5 and doesn't make the playoffs (unless they drop one of those D2 games).
  15. boozeANDammo

boozeANDammo New Member

I've been busting the Gateways balls for the last 5 years and no one is listening! :wink: They have NOTHING. Top to bottom, they're fluff and come tournament time, they show up for their annual beating. Now, that said. They do *usually* have a team that makes some noise - usually SIU, WKU or someone, but that conferance has slide dramatically since Tressell left Youngstown. All hype. Alllllll hype. ... and they still get all the press. :?
  16. JMU2004

JMU2004 Active Member

I dont want JMU to be in the top 15

We play well as an underdog

Its too bad that we will be top 7
  17. Blue Hen 93

Blue Hen 93 New Member

No fargin' way we're preseason #1. It's obviously going to be you guys. Last year we win the NC, lose 4 starters to the NFL, and still come out #1 in the preseason. This year you guys win the NC and return your whole team practically. You guys will surely be preseason #1.
  18. boozeANDammo

boozeANDammo New Member

Hen 93, while I enjoy your optimism, I'm not quite sure I share that same optimism concerning those who vote for these things. But once again, preseason polls are as meaningful as Beatneck poetry. :p :wink: Did I just liken 1-AA preseason polls to Jack Kerouac and Webb Wilder? I need a vacation... bad. :oops:
  19. Dukie

Dukie New Member

Hen 93,

Who graduates/uses all eligibility for you guys this year? How many returning starters do you have for '05?
  20. Blue Hen 93

Blue Hen 93 New Member

STARTERS LOST (11: 3 offense, 7 defense, 1 spec teams):
    LT - Trip Delcampo
    C - Chris Edwards
    RT - Paul Thomson
    LE - Dominic Santoli
    DT - Brian Jennings
    RE - Chris Mooney
    MLB - Mondoe Davis
    OLB - Mark Moore
    FS - Garron Bible
    RCB/PR/KOR - Sidney Haugabrook
    K - Brad Shushman

OTHERS GRADUATING/ELIGIBILITY USED:
    WR - G.J. Crescione
    RE - Ben Cross
    MLB - Ryan McDermond
    FS - Dave Camburn

STARTERS RETURNING: (13: 8 offense, 4 defense, 1 spec teams)
    QB - Sonny Riccio
    RB - Omar Cuff
    RB - Lonnie Starks (backup)
    WR - Justin Long
    WR - David Boler
    WR - Joe Bleymaier
    WR - Brian Ingram (backup)
    TE - Steve Selk
    LG - Scott Conley
    RG - Brian Sims
    DT - Tom Parks
    OLB - John Mulhern
    LCB - Roger Brown
    SS - Kyle Campbell
    P - Mike Weber

Bottom line: Most of the defense gone, most of the offense back. Look for Delaware to score a ton of points next year, but also to give up a ton. Overall, I think the team will be better. I say preseason ranking between 5 and 10 and in the playoffs. Too early to predict how far they go in playoffs. Depends on Riccio's development. Remember that Andy Hall (last year's championship QB) looked like night and day in his first year vs second year in Keeler's offense. Riccio actually had better stats than Hall in first year of transfer from Div I-A. Also, two freshman RBs (especially Cuff) came on strong at end of year and bring balance to spread offense. The offense could be scary next year. D is the question mark.
  21. holtz

holtz New Member

Where did Randy Moss transfer from???
  22. jmuduke9

jmuduke9 New Member

Well, he wasn't so much a true transfer as he got bounced from both ND and FSU, if memory serves correctly.
  23. jmuduke9

jmuduke9 New Member

Just as a little additional info. I suppose it is possible to consider Moss a transfer in some fashion. Basically he couldn't get out of his Notre Dame letter of intent, and thus when he went to FSU he was going to have to sit. But once he was busted for marijuana at FSU he transferred to then IAA Marshall to keep from losing any more years of eligibility.
  24. Dukie

Dukie New Member

'93,

I thought you guys lost a bunch off the defense. You lost a couple of key performers off the D from your NC team as well. Unless you have some studs waiting on the bench, I agree with you that the D will likely be rebuilding this year.

I also think you are right about your offense. I got to see them against JMU and in the W&M playoff game. They were as well balanced as any team we faced this year. Were it not for the three interceptions at JMU, you guys would have beaten us. If Ricco can protect the ball better (horrible decision against W&M in the 4th quarter of the playoff game), UD's offense should put up some impressive numbers in '05.
  25. Blue Hen 93

Blue Hen 93 New Member

The horrible decision was to pass the ball in the flat with a 31-10 lead in the fourth quarter, and the coaches, not Riccio, called that play. Regardless, Sonny-boy does need to come down A LOT in the INT column.
  26. MassMan

MassMan New Member

You didnt score a ton of points this year... what makes you feel next year will be different? You also wont be ranked in the top 10 after losing 11 starters. I saw first hand what happens when you lose alot of starters in one season. Enjoy your .500 season.
  27. Blue Hen 93

Blue Hen 93 New Member

When did I ever say Delaware scored a ton of points this year? I do know that they return every offensive starter at the skill positions and they will score more points next year, probably quite a bit more.

You don't have to be sore because Delaware handed Mass their annual beating again. Don't be angry because we own you 23-4 in our series. Somebody has to be the doormat, you know? :wink:
  28. MassMan

MassMan New Member

Read your post again... Here is a quote from what you said:

Im not making up things.
  29. Blue Hen 93

Blue Hen 93 New Member

Right. I never said they scored a ton of points this year. I said I think they will next year.

Also, how much money do you want to put down that Delaware won't be in the preseason top ten as you so boldly predict? I'll give you until tomorrow, when your eggnog wears off, to give me your final answer.
  30. PhilthyHen

PhilthyHen New Member

Hen, he's still got zits...I doubt he's drinking eggnog.

I thought Hen's assessment was pretty good, MassMan. Once again, you appear to be the only "fan" on these boards capable of making statements about your team. When any fans of any other teams do it, you fly off the handle.

Delaware's offense did sputter at the beginning of the season, but go back over our record and see how many points we were throwing up. JMU was the only team who managed to hold us under 20 if memory serves me correctly. Averaging 20+ PPG IS putting up some points, and they will do the same next year.

PS--you saw what happens when you lose a lot of starters AT UMASS. What makes you think you can just transpose all the crap that goes on in your program to other schools??? Care to let us in on what .500 seasons feel like? You're so used to it up there...what do we have to look forward to?