How's it gonna end up on Saturday?

Discussion in 'Delaware Blue Hens' started by dovetail, Mar 29, 2013.

1. dovetail

dovetail New Member

As much as I hate to say, I think the ride comes to an end Saturday. Looking at the cumulative season stats, UK doesn't have the size of Carolina or WV but they appear to have better shooters. Mathies, the PG may be the best we have seen after Angel Goodrich of Kansas. The other factor working against us is my belief that UD left a hell of a lot of emotion on the floor Tuesday night and it may be difficult to get it back on another floor. I hope I am wrong but regardless of the outcome, this team has overachieved and with a two year record 63-5, it will be a hell of a long time in the CAA before anyone does better. Go Hens, you done us proud...
  2. pksundevil

pksundevil New Member

Kentucky is a really good team. They handled Navy and Dayton pretty easily despite the fact that multiple starters were fighting a stomach virus. There aren't a lot gaps in their armor, not really any weak opponents that they struggled with to give hope that they've got the ability to throw out a clunker game. They absolutely deserve their #7 ranking.

So, the question is- can we play like a top 10 team an entire game on a neutral floor? We can certainly do it in spells. Last year we put up a good effort at Maryland. We clearly can beat top-15 teams on our home court, as evidenced by Penn State and UNC. The team should believe it can do this. They need that confidence, and they probably need a good start, which we really haven't had in several games dating back to the CAA tournament and earlier.

I think Lucas needs to start instead of Miller, as much as she doesn't want to, apparently. Or maybe you start them both to have 2 ball handlers in the game?

We have to hope that the UConn crowd gets behind us if we keep it close, although that's not a given with the history. We should have more fans than Kentucky but not enough to rock the building.

Bottom line, we need EDD to shoot well, Lucas and others to break the press effectively, and 1-2 players to step up like Buchanan and Lucas did this past weekend. Total team effort.
  3. Henny

Henny New Member

Watched the UK-Dayton replay, UK is a replica of WVU. Break the press by passing to Elena over the zone. Also its imperative to dictate tempo. If we let UK run like they do, their shooters get into rhythm. As usual go to the zone and on offense, get Elena to the foul line. UD CAN win.
  4. pksundevil

pksundevil New Member

Shots not falling early and the speed is a problem so far. Kentucky not hitting overall, either, which is keeping us closer than we might otherwise be. Need to stay relatively close this first half.