George Mason to A10

Discussion in 'Delaware Blue Hens' started by pmzhen, Mar 25, 2013.

1. pmzhen

pmzhen New Member

Announcement apparently being made today (1pm news conference). Of course UD is left holding the bag...we essentially have the old America East conference back together. Can we just one time in my lifetime be proactive when it comes to Intercollegiate Athletics? First, we are stuck with another year of Monte, and now the conference continues to disintegrate in front of our eyes. This sucks!!!
  2. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

Tell me about it. If the CAA's answer to all this is to add even more America East teams......this league is toast.
  3. henfan

henfan New Member

If the CAA adds more AEC teams and is toast, what's that leave the AEC?
  4. TexasHen

TexasHen New Member

I agree. I'm sick of being the odd school out in all this conference roulette.
    I keep holding onto my (perhaps naive) hope that there's some kind of planning going on behind the scenes, but I'd really like to see some hint of that.
    Grow some b@lls, UD admin & do( or at least say) SOMETHING!
  5. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

Amen!
  6. DarthDave

DarthDave Active Member

FCS fb is holding us back...until we move to fbs or drop fb, we are going nowhere. We are not dropping fb and I don't see a move up so its just a matter of shuffling the deck and adding other FCS teams to the CAA...most not attractive.
  7. TexasHen

TexasHen New Member

I agree that FCS football is holding us back. Therefore, I don't understand the hesitance / delay in moving up. The 'old-school' thinking around the UD community is going to drag the future of UD sports right into the mud if the powers that be don't do something soon.
  8. henfan

henfan New Member

If the CAA is unable or unwilling to add all-sport members, UD will reluctantly join the MAC or CUSA and reclassify. Ditto JMU.
  9. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

Agreed!
  10. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

Amen! Delaware should be able to step right into the MAC or Conference USA and compete at that level!
  11. State Line Liquors

State Line Liquors New Member

I think it's the right move for GMU. The basketball product here isn't on par with the A10, and Delaware is partly to blame for it with their years of basketball stagnation and poor hiring. If basketball is your primary athletic focus, and you're invited I think the A10 is a no-brainer.
  12. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

I always knew you were one of the smarter guys in Blue Hen Nation.
  13. henfan

henfan New Member

The MBB focus at the exclusion of other sports and even academics is exactly the reason that UD didn't go after the A-10 invite in '97. This is a good move for Mason, whose sports programs, except for MBB, are very modest. What was the last sport that GMU won a conference title in? It's been a few years at least.

If the conference picks up UA and SBU, we come out ahead on this deal in every sport except MBB.
  14. pmzhen

pmzhen New Member

The issue is basketball, outside of football, is the only sport that really matters from a revenue generating perspective. The A-10 would be a perfect spot for us if we had any ambition.
  15. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

Delaware is too good for the A-10........in a wine and cheese way.
  16. Miami (Oh)-Yeah!

Miami (Oh)-Yeah! New Member

Why does the GoHens board go down right when realignment at the CAA level gets interesting???
  17. pmzhen

pmzhen New Member

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the timing of gohens demise is quite interesting. Maybe Monte paid off HensRock to shut it down???
  18. Tubby Raymond

Tubby Raymond New Member

Jeff what you seem to not understand is the point that the vast majority of BHF do not care about moving up, nor do they care to play against teams with which the have no history.

Right or wrong that is the zeigiest of the football fans @ UD.
  19. Tubby Raymond

Tubby Raymond New Member

You've clearly never been to the Section J tailgate.
  20. Pablos

Pablos New Member

Mason has won the last 3 CAA men's track and field championships.
  21. henfan

henfan New Member

Wow, really? I honestly had no idea. How many schools in the CAA even sponsor that sport? 3? 4?

If that's the answer, I suppose the point stands that, outside of MBB program, GMU hasn't really provided a whole lot of competitive value to the CAA as of late. Heck, even UD's moribund & underperforming MBB team beat the Pats at their best sport this past season.

The A-10 really is the best fit for a school so singularly focused on MBB. OTOH, if the conference replaces GMU with a school with a complete D-I athletic department, including strong Olympic sports and football, they'll come out ahead. A win-win for both sides.
  22. Pablos

Pablos New Member

Given the importance of Olympic sports, I would expect you to know that Mason has a long history of success in this sport including the 1996 NCAA men's indoor track and field championship and the 1996 NCAA runner-up in men's outdoor track and field. And, 23 of Mason's student-athletes have won 35 individual national championships.

Evidently, UD does not compete in men's track and field, so I guess you don't believe that these are worthy accomplishments. BTW, please treasure your victories over Mason in men's basketball this season.
  23. henfan

henfan New Member

You're right. Like most sports fans, I don't follow college track & field. Even if the UD didn't kill the sport a couple of years back, I still wouldn't follow it.

My & most sport fans' complete lack of interest certainly doesn't diminish the fact that GMU has apparently been prolific in the sport and you're obviously very proud of that. That's great but it really doesn't impact the CAA in the least. Few CAA schools even sponsor the sport.

There's no need to treasure UD's MBB sweep GMU this year or, for that matter, wins over any other modest MBB team. Fact is that the Hens weren't a very good again this year and still have a long way to go to get back to where they once were.

Best wishes in the A-10.
  24. bluehenbillk

bluehenbillk Active Member

Was FCS or 1-AA FB holding us back in the early 90's when Steinwedel advocated making the jump & was told no??
  25. dugin111

dugin111 New Member

Mason also won an NCAA Women's Soccer championship in the eighties and had the (two time) NCAA decathlon champion Rob Muzzio in the eighties. Muzzio finished something like fourth or fifth in the Olympics in 1992 or 1996. Delaware was a national power on I-AA football in the past however, they should probably try to leverage that history into a better football centric conference affiliation, and take basketball with them They are a pedigreed "rat" remaining on a sinking ship.