Drexel Rebranding

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by DrachenFire, Jan 29, 2016.

1. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

I was going to hold off on throwing this out there until after the season, but seeing how the Zone may not be up and running at that point and Adam Hermann touches upon this in a Triangle article (link) this week, I guess now's as good a time as any.

I believe that our current logo scheme was created at the time of our move to the CAA. This also corresponds to the arrival Bru as coach. Assuming that there will a severing of that relationship upon the conclusion of the season, I started wondering if a new era warranted a new look and came up with some ideas.

First off, I really like the fire breathing dragon logo
    [​IMG]

and am not looking to completely replace it, but I am removing it as the main component of the center court logo of the DAC. In its place will be a kind of mashup of two other existing looks. The main element is that of a dragon's claw which pays homage to the raptor claw that the Toronto Raptors used to employ as their center court logo:

[​IMG]

I grew up a big fan of Ken Griffey Jr. and consider the Seattle Mariners to be my AL rooting interest (nobody can claim I'm a bandwagon jumper). Last year they introduced a throwback color scheme of blue and gold to their current uniforms that I thought looked nice:
    [​IMG]
    That led to imagining a Drexel baseball hat incorporating the Mariners' compass rose which then merged with the Raptors' logo resulting in the following new mid court logo:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I would figure the roundel version to have text.

As for the rest of the court, I am a big fan of the Charlotte Hornets honeycomb court:
    http://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/charlotte.jpg?w=1024&h=578

And figured dragon scales would work just as well as the honeycomb pattern. That resulted in this:

[​IMG]

I couldn't decide whether I like the light/dark on the left or dark/light on the right better, though I'm leaning towards the light/dark. The court as shown would probably have to wait until we moved into a new facility to work as shown (and that'll probably be another 3-4 court redesigns away), so mid court would probably feature the roundel with "Drexel University" spelled out in the circle instead of along the bench sideline. "Daskalakis Athletic Center" and "Sam Cozen Court" would be colored in such a way to maximize readability.

"Hic Sunt Dracones" (link) is a phrase that I really think could be used for some great marketing. I'm thinking a map of the Philadelphia area with the other 5 schools shown but Drexel's area being obscured and labeled "Hic Sunt Dracones." It works as either other schools being to afraid to come play on Drexel's campus or, since we aren't part of the Big 5, a nod to our program not being as well known throughout the region.

Speaking of the Big 5, we, obviously are not apart of that, and as the only D1 program to be called the Dragons, I've thought referring ourselves as "The One" could work as a way of thumbing our noses at the rest of the Big 5 while highlighting the fact we have the best mascot in D1.

Sorry for the length. Just one fan's thoughts on creating a fresh look/vibe for a potential fresh start.
  2. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I certainly like a few of the ideas here, but if our court looked like that I would absolutely hate it, then again I was never a fan of the watermark either. I think the scales would be neat, and unique, same with the "Hic Sunt Dracones" but the rest not so sure of. I think having two tones would be too hard on the eyes and I think we already have one of the best logos out there, so I dont think we need a redesign at all. I think we can utilize what we already have and make tweaks based on some of your ideas and end up with a really neat court.

The semi-ironic part of this post is that Drexel was right on the cutting edge of court design (certainly not the first) with going with a watermarked logo/unique designs. Now, nearly everyone has something like this, either huge center logos (Kansas was always the only one who had an obnoxious logo at the center) or strange designs (Memphis, Oregon (was truly one of the first to redesign), George Washingtion, Xavier etc). So the scales would certainly be unique unless someone like {UAB, Florida, Maryland, TCU (kind of already uses scales), and I am sure there are a few others I cant think of off the top of my head} jumped on it as well, just because not many could use scales as part of their team/court. In the end, honestly I dont think we need to rebrand and I think that our logo and court are just fine, I am not a fan of changing just to change nor do I think we struggle with an identity because of our logo/court.
  3. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

As I said, I'd base the scale shading off of the Hornets' honeycomb court so it'd look something more like this (CAD program doesn't capture what I envision it looking like):
    [​IMG]
    I don't think it would look too bad. I'd also have no problem with sticking with the current center court logo if it was scaled down a bit. I find our current look to be a little too busy.

I should also say that I don't expect any changes to be made as what we currently have is only 6 or so years old. This was done during my dead time between the end of work and heading up to games, The Triangle article is what prompted me to share.