drexel/caa

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by warpig, Dec 3, 2009.

1. warpig

warpig Active Member

all the talk on the main board about hofstra and northeastern dropping football and what it might mean for the caa gives me a good opportunity to say this...

i think we should leave the caa for the maac.

i'm not even sure if they're looking into adding teams. the doomsday people on the main board seem to think there's about to be a major shakeup though with dominos falling across all the major northeastern conferences (nec, caa, a-10, etc.). it doesn't seem like a stretch then to think opportunities might present for the maac.

i've actually liked what i've seen from the maac teams we've played. the competition is not a step down. in fact...i think we fit in much better with many of the programs. they're mostly urban schools without football teams. rider and niagara both have gyms like ours. fairfield and siena actually play in nice arenas. we recruit many of the same players. our whole team seems to be from the new york city area. maac games have been good matchups.

i'm expecting everyone to argue for staying in the caa despite the annual whining about the caa's southern bias. if you believe in that...he's your chance to do something about it. the best argument for staying would come from all of our other sports programs...like women's basketball, field hockey, and lacrosse...who have stepped up to the plate against tougher caa competition. the men's program would benefit from a move as long as we keep striking out down in virginia.
  2. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

I think Drexel would be a decent fit in the A-10 or Patriot League. The Patriot league would offer some potential local rivalries.... Lehigh, Lafayette, & Bucknell.
  3. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I have never complained about being in the colonial, I actually enjoy it even with the southern bias. However I do not think that anything will change because of 2 dropped football programs. I actually think it was their way of not reorganizing with ODU and GSU adding programs.
  4. Fan of the Year

Fan of the Year New Member

Where do I sign up? The MAAC doesn't get the credit it deserves. They have some really nice teams. I'd much rather play in that conference.
  5. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

Doesnt anyone else want more local Pennsylvania rivalries? Lehigh, Lafayette, & Bucknell, Sign me up.

I have zero interest in attending games against any team other than Siena in the MAAC. Drexel needs more local in conference rivalries and playing teams from upstate NY and CT wont create rivalries.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

What I like about the CAA.
    The TV contract is about as strong as the Atlantic 10's and some other higher level conferences.
    Strong competition with teams that have very strong programs and great fan support.
    A confernce that gets multiple NCAA/NIT bids in Mens and Womens Basketball Every year.
    We still have our rivalry with Delaware, even though doesn't mean nearly what it did in the 1990's.

What I don't like about the CAA.
    The Mens Basketball Championship Format, being played on VCU's auxilary home court EVERY year, and having the Championship game on Monday night at the same location, and the leagues refusal to try something different.

The TV Contract is huge. Drexel is on TV more than any team in the city, except Villanova. But the VCU Invitational every year just sucks. I guess I'm fine wtih the CAA. The problem with the Patriot League is that our level of play will decrease to the level of the conference, and then we'll never be able to compete with or get respect in the city. I'd be OK with the MAAC. Atlantic 10 will never happen.
  7. JonP

JonP Active Member

IF we left the CAA, my first choice would be the MAAC. I don't love all the schools in it, but its basketball is pretty similar to the CAA. And the MAAC is on the upswing. Whether it maintains that momentum, I don't know, but it's moving in the right direction.

There's no chance we go to the A-10. The league wouldn't want us -- and all three Philly schools would oppose it.

And I don't want to go to the Patriot. Too many small, rural schools and a lot of weak basketball.

It would never happen -- and I'm not sure I would want it to -- but we actually fit in with the Horizon in some ways: similar enrollments, no football, some actual big-city schools. The travel sure would suck.

I do wonder if Drexel did have to move, would we finally part ways with Delaware? It sort of seems antiquated now, doesn't it?

All that said, I suspect we'll stay in the CAA. The league wants the Philly toehold. And the football league was getting too big anyway.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  8. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

I dont think the MAAC would be a good fit geographically or academically with Drexel.
  9. DU_Trogdor

DU_Trogdor Member

I think that the A-10 is the only way we should move, if we have to leave the CAA. And it may not be as unlikely as some other conferences. There was talk/rumors a few years ago about Temple leaving the A-10 for C-USA, which honestly is a step up for them with both basketball and football. If Temple leaves that conference, I don't see it as that unlikely that they would reject us if we made a case. We don't have football, just as they aren't a football conference. They would essentially keep the same coverage in the same region from their members with us.

Just shooting the sh!t. I really don't think it's going to happen.
  10. BtownDragon

BtownDragon New Member

The Patriot League, or at least some teams in it, is only partial scholarship. I know Lafayette only gets three scholarships... not sure about the rest of the teams.
  11. JonP

JonP Active Member

I think the whole Big 5 issue makes A-10 membership a nonstarter. How could you let Drexel into the A-10 but then keep them out of the Big 5? I mean, I guess it's possible Drexel could get into the A-10 over Philly schools' objections, but I just don't see it happening.

The more I look around and the more I see how Drexel is sort of anomaly among Northeast schools. There just aren't that many private, nonsectarian, large urban schools playing Division I hoops. Northeastern, Boston U. and GW are the only ones I can think of. (I guess Hofstra, but it's not really urban. LIU is pretty big, too, but I doubt they spend much on athletics.)

Point being, we're going to be the odd man out in pretty much no matter what league we're in, present one included.
  12. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

The A-10 would be a perfect fit for basketball only. Build the Armory and guarantee to increase annual basketball expenses and the A-10 would be foolish to reject us.

Drexel would be a huge upgrade over Saint Louis...
  13. apiri

apiri New Member

One mythical mascot for another. A perfect trade.
  14. DrexPhanatic

DrexPhanatic Active Member

I dunno...I like the CAA. But then again I'm a masochist.
  15. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

I like Drexel being in the CAA and would hope we stay. I think it is a quality mid major conference that brings all of our athletic teams up to a higher level of play. That and I don't want to give the southern schools the satisfaction of having chased us out, I want to win here!
  16. XDreX

XDreX New Member

This is a silly thread. As folks have mentioned above, Drexel benefits greatly by being affiliated with the CAA, and not just in Men's BBall. We have strong teams in other sports too, and the CAA offers top-level competition in those sports.

As for the CAA Men's Championship, there's no reason to change things. The league is centered in Virginia, and Richmond is the capital. The CAA would be crazy to move their cash cow when the total fan-base is so close to Richmond. Plus, you don't hear UNC-W complaining...they bring most of Wrightsville with them to Richmond every year. Besides, Drexel fans now mark their calendars for the first weekend in March with the Richmond trip. Like it or not, we've developed a tradition of sorts in the CAA (and Richmond).

If you want to complain...complain about the Dragon's poor performances on the court in Richmond. Other teams have traveled from farther away than us and performed better.
  17. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

I don't think we're moving out of the CAA anytime soon barring a wholesale conference restructuring east of the mississippi, akin to the C-USA/A-10/Big East/ACC stuff a few years back, but at the C-USA/A-10/CAA/MAAC/MAC/Southern/Patriot/maybe NEC level. The key thing to remember with all of this is it will end up coming down to cash money before anything else, so I'll link you up with this http://www.midmajority.com/redline.php to see which conferences group together nicely.

In short, if we do move I don't think the conference we move to exists today. I'd imagine it to be some kind of A-10/CAA non-football hybrid that poaches a couple of teams from other conferences. A strong olympic sports league with decent geographic proximity. I'm thinking: Drexel, Hofstra, Northeastern, Boston University, George Washington, Loyola (MD), Fairfield would come in and you would extend invites and try to get Towson and UD (leaving their football wherever it otherwise would have been). Rider, Sienna and Rhode Island are all school that I like, but wouldn't be sold on unless we needed that 10th team (Rider doesn't fit academically or financially, Sienna is a distance thing and RI has football). We can call it the Northeast Corridor Association, brought to you by Amtrak.

[/pipe dream]
  18. JonP

JonP Active Member

I was thinking about this some more and I think Metsox is right. If Drexel has to make a conference move, it will be because of some larger Eastern shakeup. And the conference we would join would probably look only a little like a current conference (kinda like when we joined the CAA).

It also dawned on me that Northeastern and Hofstra dropping football helps Drexel a ton with CAA leverage. That's three northeast schools who all have similar interests. If such a a shakeup did happen, the three of them might even stick together.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  19. The Court General

The Court General New Member

EAC anyone? This is all sillyness, but I have to agree with the big shake up east of the Mississippi for DU to change conferences right now.
  20. Water Boy

Water Boy Active Member

I have a couple suggestions:
    The Big Sky Conference: I'm thinking of moving to Montana and this way I could still catch a few games a year. The road trips would be a little tough, but we should be able to maintain a good home conference record.

The Ivy League: Hey who doesn't want to say they are an alum of an Ivy League school?

Seriously, I don't see us going anywhere and I think the CAA is a good place for us. I agree with JB about the TV coverage, it's hard to get better than that for a smaller conference. If we were to switch, I like the idea of the MAAC.
  21. DBALL

DBALL Active Member

I don't think we would leave the CAA, but one day it could leave us. I could see UCV and Mason moving to brighter pastures. At which point in time, by default, DU's NCAA hopes get a little better. Remember that all of these conferences are temporary. There are A LOT more strengths than weaknesses, so don't let the lack of Tournament appearances be the only motive for leaving. Also, remember, there is more to the CAA than Men's BBall.

Patriot League? You can't be serious. DU's culture doesn't fit, neither do the lack of scholarships offered, not to mention we would recruit even less. Sure, it's nice to see more road games close by, but look at our OOC- Penn, VU, St Joe, Rutgers- plenty of opportunities to stay local on the road.