Drexel and the CAA

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by expendable smurf, Jan 7, 2010.

1. expendable smurf

expendable smurf New Member

Kyle posted an article today that, at least to me, was pretty interesting about Drexel, his time there, and its fit in the CAA. I didn't see it posted anywhere here so just thought I'd point it out.

Nice win last night!

http://www.midmajority.com/2010/01/get-big.php
  2. dan10

dan10 Active Member

It is in the media section but thanks for posting
  3. DU_Trogdor

DU_Trogdor Member

So if a Drexel/Northeastern/Hofstra/Fordham/LaSalle/Towson/Loyola conference did arise, how do you feel that would affect the recruiting capabilities of the schools?

Stay about the same or fall off significantly?
  4. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Incorrect info from Kyle's blog.

VCU is NOT the 2 Time Defending CAA Champions
    The DAC seats 2,532, not 2,300.
    If Kyle lived in Oregon, there's no way he could have seen the Drexel/Memphis NCAA Tournament game. It was the 5:00 game and was only shown in 3 media markets. There was no NCAA Tournament package on Directv at the time.
    He said he entered Drexel on the eve of Drexel's centennial. Not true, Drexel's centennial was in 1992.

Not to be picky, and I'm glad that a Drexel alum has gone national, but I'd it would be nice that he be factually accurate while he bashes the program.
  5. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Four middling CAA schools and some A10 and MAAC bottom-feeders? Are you really asking if that would hurt recruiting?
  6. RGS

RGS Member

I don't know about recruiting, but I think our attendance would improve with more local rivalries. There is always a buzz when we play Big 5 schools that can't be matched by CAA teams, even if the CAA teams are better. Being in a conference with LaSalle and/or St Joe's would be a boost, for sure.
  7. Marshall_Amp

Marshall_Amp New Member

I may have read it wrong, but did he say that LaSalle is in that other conference already?

I'd be much more proud of Chris McKendry than this fool. At least she knows how to stay employed by ESPN.
  8. TheRealForgottenTeam

TheRealForgottenTeam New Member

I enjoyed the piece regardless of what appeared to be repeated swipes at the university. With respect to the conference, yeah, i get his point about geography and rivalries but his alternative solution is a bust. Right now, we may lack local rivalries like (SJU, LaSalle, Temple with hte A-10) but the CAA is a step up in terms of strength of conference relative to the proposed conference. If he would have come to the DAC on a night with 2000+ spectators, would the tone of the entire article been different even his views on the new buildings meshing with the old?
  9. DBALL

DBALL Active Member

I enjoyed the article. (nit pick here- the only teams on the Delmarva are Del State and Maryland East Shore- no CAA is there).

The case for the realigned conference bores me. Despite the dominance of the original CAA teams, I am not ready to see us bolt from the CAA. It's just shortsighted.

And JB is right about the Oregon thing- he could not have possibly watched it from there unless he was at a local TV affiliate's studio. Poetic license doesn't apply to journalism.
  10. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Marshall,
    I'm not sure exactly what he said, but LaSalle was in the Midwest Conference from 1992-1996, and joined the A-10 for the 1996-1997 season.

Oh,
    And I take back my gripe about Kyle's inaccuracies. I shouldn't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
  11. JonP

JonP Active Member

I really WANT to like Kyle's writing and even found some redeeming stuff in this overwrought essay, but he's a frustrating read at times. And, really, for as much time as he has spent in Philadelphia and at Drexel, I am not really sure he gets this city and this school at all.

Basically, the guy just needs a good editor.
  12. Timer

Timer Moderator

[​IMG]</p>
  13. Duke Dawg

Duke Dawg Moderator

Geez.....he makes is sound like Maynor's shot was decades ago....was SMU still relevant in football then?

Kyle - it was 3 years ago ! There have only been 2 seasons since with no at-large and it's looking like that is going to end at 2 as there is a great opportunity for 2 bids again this year.

As for the national TV opportunities....seriously? Wow. Look at how many CAA games are on TV now versus pre-Mason. ESPN is never going to give the CAA a Big Thursday weekly game on the Deuce...but they are showing way more games on the U with CAA teams than before and every Saturday there are multiple conference games on.

the number of TV games has tripled in the last past few years and is way more than ANY conference in the 10 and below range of the RPI from year to year.
  14. Timer

Timer Moderator

I thought it was interesting while watching ESPN in the media room pre-game the other night was their ad for the ESPN Full Court product. Had the voiceover about watch X number of games from major conferences...and included in the graphic shown in the background was "Colonial."
  15. XDreX

XDreX New Member

I generally like Kyle's stuff, though I also agree that he seems to be over-stating the state of things a bit. Nevertheless, I admire his willingness to stick his nose out there and predict something substantial whether he ends up being right or wrong.

I was watching some NFL.com video about coaching changes, and the guy kept saying things like, "I'd be surprised if Team X didn't make a move", which is the CYA/lawyer-speak way of saying, "Team X's coach is going to be fired". If you want to mince words and hedge your bets, be a lawyer. If you want to be sports writer, spit it out!

Also, I went to ESPN.com yesterday (I think it was yesterday) and clicked on NCAAB on the top of the page to check out scores. Where scores would normally be, It said something like " There are no games today". I clicked on "Full Scoreboard", and was linked to College Basketball Scores page. In fact, you can still see it if you go there now and click on Jan. 7 (which says 0 games, incidentally).

There are two games listed: Michigan-Penn State and Oakland Oral Roberts, which were on the ESPN Family of Networks (whatever that means. I wonder where that Family celebrated Christmas). Incidentally, 2 is not 0...so there were in fact 2 games. Then I clicked the "Sort By" drop-box and selected All. There were 44 games. It took me quite few clicks to find this out.

It's one thing to promote certain teams and certain leagues over others, but another thing altogether to bury the meat of the College BBall schedule where no one but those looking for it can find it.

So yeah, Kyle needs an editor, and he's a bit grumpy about Drexel, but we'd be far worse off without his efforts.
  16. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Not to nit-pick but it starts out as top 24 so it is very likely there were 0 top 25 games and still ahving games on the family of espn networks...just saying
  17. TheRealForgottenTeam

TheRealForgottenTeam New Member

18. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

To save everyone else's time, the only discussion of any substance came at the end
  19. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

Why exactly don't northern teams fit? While they are not typical four year recruits, both Leon and Evan are from North Carolina so it's not like we've never gotten any southern players to come up to the big bad north. The problem is that the northern teams have yet to be really successful in the CAA as only two have managed to make the tourney final and none have won it and made the Big Dance. Until the northern schools start taking away NCAA Tournament bids from the southern schools, they have no reason to hate us.
  20. warpig

warpig Active Member

i thought this was an excellent article...and i'm not really sure why people are ripping on it. he basically described the virginia bias in so many words and put the blame where it belongs...on the caa...rather than schools like vcu and odu who are just the beneficiaries of other people's greed.

he described drexel very well. we really are a school without an identity...and the 20 different styles of buildings on campus are the perfect example of it. being in a conference with unfamiliar/distant opponents doesn't help matters. i really like that he notices the awkwardness of our "rivalry" with delaware. the conference he wants puts drexel's interests first...not the interests of those who want to make money...so that we won't feel like an outcast like we do now.

i actually thought about two of his points while i was on campus wednesday night. i thought about how we need to tear down all those ugly orange buildings...and i thought about how nobody outside the dac really cared that we were playing vcu because nobody in philly knows who they are.
  21. JonP

JonP Active Member

I do think his fact problems get in the way. JB mentioned some. There are others. (I doubt "research dollars" funded new buildings; the crack about Drexel being a "suitcase" campus, which certainly wasn't true when I was there in the early 1990s; the false implication that the old-line CAA schools are private.)

But even more than that, he really misses what happened when the Colonial expanded to take on the four America East teams. Drexel might have been looking to "get big," but the CAA was most certainly NOT. It was looking to survive. With defections (ECU, Richmond, American), the league was in danger of losing its autobid. There was even talk of trying to absorb the CAA teams into the America East; the New England schools opposed it.

(And, by the way, there weren't many fans during his time at Drexel because we weren't very good. This idea that Drexel never drew many fans isn't true. There were even, I remember, a couple regular season home sellouts in the NAC/America East era.)

So, yeah, I agree with Kyle's sentiment. Drexel is the red-headed stepchild of the CAA, as it was the redheaded stepchild of the America East. And, yes, I agree that our Delaware rivalry is awkward -- and seems to grow more awkward by the year. But Kyle's piece has the feeling of an obituary of a person who isn't dead yet. As Duke Dawg said, the "dagger" ain't exactly ancient history. And his alternate reality conference? Cute, but mythical.

Make no mistake, one thing Kyle talks about is dead true: Northeastern and Hofstra dropping football is a VERY good thing for Drexel. Drexel is a unique school. When we were talking about the MAAC in that other thread, I looked at a bunch of data and it dawned on me how unique we are in terms of enrollment, location, academics and athletics. So, yes, I absolutely thinks it very good that we have three large, private, major metro schools with the same priorities in the same league.

But he could have written that in 800 words rather than 2,300.
  22. XDreX

XDreX New Member

Yes, that was my point. ESPN.com is presenting college basketball as if Top 25 and games on their network are all that matter. What really struck me more than anything was the message "There are no college basketball games today", and I am sorry I didn't take a screen shot. That was just blatantly inaccurate.
  23. dan10

dan10 Active Member

They could word it differently but that was my point...when they say no basketball games all it means is no ranked games, and noting else.