Dragons Speak

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by MetSox, Nov 13, 2015.

1. dan10

dan10 Active Member

He was before my time so I didnt know he was a transfer. I did preface I only included during my time which really started paying attention was 06-07 season, I just did not state when my time started. My first year as a student was 07-08 disaster with Elegar giving up on the team as a senior.
  2. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

You mean we had a senior that checked out and underperformed when he should have had his best season? That never happens here... I don't believe it!
  3. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

4. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

It's nice to know that sometimes I know what I'm talking about, or something.
    http://www.caazone.com/boards/threads/depth-chart.125855/page-3#post-1947621

To nit pick, if you want to take that lineup with frosh starting point guard, you need to go back a year. That team went 21-10 and then went 29-7 and got Bru an extension. So you're saying you want him back next year and to get an extension, better duck and cover again!

edit - After losing out on Canady Fields Forever, this post would mean I lose Rock the Glass Bah as well.
  5. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Dan,

Meant to ask you about this comment from your blog:

"So yes, I have seen your emails, I have gotten the texts, I know the CAAZone has been a "Fire Bru" cesspool for years now (and I continue to be upset that it has driven rational people away from that community, which is an important community in our small landscape. The zone is an opportunity to have your voices heard by Drexel Admin pretending not to hear it, and that's critical feedback that they may not otherwise get so I encourage everyone to post there)."

My question to you… Is it the "Fire Bru" talk that has driven people away from the zone? Or is it the fact that the people who defended Bruiser no longer have an argument? Most of the diehard fans no longer care. I would say that it is more of a sign that the fans have given up than some sort indication that this message board is a "cesspool". Speaking truth is essential for change, even if some don't want to hear it.
  6. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

No dude, fans don't completely stop talking about the team just because it's been a down year or three. It's the constant bad attitude drifting fart-like through the room that drives people off.

I'm pretty sure that's what we used to call being a "drain poster."
  7. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

Jay, that's probably for another thread but I'll take a stab here. We know that the folks in the DAC reading this (God bless em, there's still a few from time to time) think of it as a cesspool. Now many of those aren't the most open minded people of all time which is a big part of the issue with this program that you, I and many others are aware of. The day the Department stops taking things personally and starts looking at issues professionally is the day we start to see improvement. My boss on my first co-op taught me "deal with the problem, not the person" and it's stuck with me as one of the best pieces of advise that I've heard over the last 15 years. The concern with self image in that building starts from the top, and I've seen first hand some really good folks who were program first professionals change over time to fall in line with the image Zillmer has built. That hurts to watch. I mean is actually painful to me, because there are/were some really good folks over there that I know are good people, that are just impossible - literally - to work with at this point. That sucks, and it's part of what is holding us back as a program. So that feeling, that if someone complains then they are dead to them, even when that same person could be of assistance to the department or is a good fan or a potential donor, that's a part of the image problem that the board has.

As far as outside of the DAC goes - I do think some people trolled, and I think some got hot under the collar and made this place a bit inhospitable. Is the larger problem the losing? Yeah. I mean the marketing dept doesn't have much to sell here - come to a mediocre arena to see a shitty team is a tough sell, just ask the Sixers, and the Zone undoubtedly has seen similar problems as part of the decline. But it can also be cliquey here, and we could be more welcoming and less hostile as fans amongst each other - at the end of the day we all just want this program to be all that it can be, and from time to time members have lost sight that we're all on the same side here. We can work on being more welcoming as a community. If we are ever able to work with those at DU towards change, we need to stand as one fanbase. There's few enough here - that's do-able. But it is going to mean being able to play nice and thinking before we reply to someone elses opinions.

Personally, I wish more students would post here - or any at all at this point. Another separate thread should be started for the DAC Pack this year - it's a blow to the pride to see the turnout there (and put me in the line of thinking that they belong courtside not behind the basket as well). This community is best when it ranges from students to people even as old as Timer - although I still don't know how the hell he logs on from his typewriter.
    DU_Trogdor likes this.
  8. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Good post Dan.
  9. dan10

dan10 Active Member

I wont copy the last 2 paragraphs from Dan, but I can say I know several folks who were as dedicated as all of us refused to post on the zone because of just that. They did not want to be berated or criticized for their own viewpoints. In other words they did not feel welcome. Unfortunately those same folks had positions of power in the DAC Pack when we were at or near its highest point, so their views and thoughts would have been more than welcomed. At this point I am not sure how many still closely follow the team or not, my guess is they do, but I doubt they even look at the zone anymore, yet alone think about posting.
  10. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Let's not be vague and lay the cards out on the table... Relaxing & both Dans - who are we talking about here? It can be argued that neither side respected each other's view points... This happens on every message board for every college and pro sports team in America. I moderate some NY Jets forums... People argue back and forth on those too... I see it on Mets forums... Knicks forums... Nobody ever leaves the forums because there are people on them who disagree with their point of view. If everybody on the boards agreed, it would be a boring terrible place to post. The common denominator in every forum is the love for the team... That is the common bond. If people are leaving because they can't handle being challenged on their perspective, that is EXTREMELY weak.
  11. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

That's just it. Why name names? There was a problem, it doesn't matter who or how caused it. We can fix it. It starts with this small group we have left. And it means the correct answer isn't "your post is moronic/weak/stupid" it's "show your work, can you back that up?". Makes us a larger, smarter, fan base when we do it that way.

Listen, it's an internet message board and some guys and gals will roll thru with internet muscles and at times people will be in a mood to respond in kind. And I'll say I wish we'd moderated that a bit tighter in the past, but also that we've all done it, myself included. As a community, if we decide that's not ok, and that we don't engage, we become a healthier community. There are sane internet message boards out there. We can be one. Lord knows we can be better than Jets fans, right Jay?
  12. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Jets fans are not so bad… I wish Drexel had a fan base as passionate as the Jets. Besides that, you are correct. The good thing about having a small fan base where pretty much everybody knows everybody else is that it is easily fixable. The other important thing to note is that even though people bicker and argue on here - from my experience - when we see each other at the DAC or on road trips, everybody gets along.
  13. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

14. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

15. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Good write up. Say many of the same things I posted in the La Salle thread, but of course, better written. I agree this has blowout city written all over it. Dont really see how it could be a 5 point victory though.
  16. warpig

warpig Active Member

We always had fans who got entirely too close and seemed to somehow think they were more than fans. They didn't like being told otherwise.

I personally don't care what the perception is of a message board. It became a cess pool or whatever because we ran out of new things to say. Either you wanted bruiser out or you didn't. The people who wanted him to stay were going to get their way so there was no use talking about it anymore.

What I'd really like is to have a basketball team worth actual basketball discussion. We're talking about touchy/felt stuff like how welcoming we are because our team sucks.
    drexelJay likes this.
  17. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

Kinda what I was saying... Years ago, this place was great... Real discussion about basketball... People organizing meet ups and road trips.

Nowadays, I won't watch a Drexel basketball game if it is on tv and the only other option is old Martin reruns. The product is unwatchable and the outcome is more predictable than a WWE match.
  18. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

19. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

20. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

I appreciate all of your continued support with the blog. Today I ask for a bit more with an open question. This blew my mind, and I have no good answer.

Link
  21. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

I didn't realize how hard a schedule Drexel had faced. It will get worse with two games each against Delaware and Northeastern.
  22. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

23. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Good piece. I think most of what is in there many can agree on. Finding the right coach wont be an easy task, so hopefully when/if we make the move this off season, there has already been some good forethought into the process of finding the right guy. Unfortunately, in my eyes, we will not do our due diligence in finding our next coach, and will end up with someone like Bash or any of the other choices of players that are into coaching now that came directly from Bruiser. Hope I am wrong.