Close and Late

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by MedicSBK, Feb 2, 2016.

1. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Today saw the first post in a two post series (second coming tomorrow) that opens the discussion regarding how Drexel plays in close contests late in the game. I would love to know what the community thinks of this. Feel free to share your thoughts here or over at the blog.

Here's the link for the post:

http://dragonsspeak.blogspot.com/2016/02/close-and-late-part-i.html
  2. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Good piece. Look forward to the second edition. You touched on the points that were in my head before reading the piece. Namely, attack the basket versus taking jumpers and dont let Tavon shoot the ball. Glad the numbers back up what many of us think including terrible play calling leading to passing around the arc and an ill-advised 3 ball. Would be interesting to actually hear or see what is actually being called in the huddle compared to what is constantly being done.
  3. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Part 2 comes out tomorrow. In order to establish a benchmark for how the team is performing this season, we need to look at past seasons.
  4. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

Part 2 is up, some really good stuff in there from Scott. Encourage everyone to give it a look, DU has been closer this year than you may have thought.

Link
  5. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Or it just confirms what most of us already thought we knew, that we keep things close but cant win and we suck late in the game and have for some time. The only thing I found impressive or surprising was that in the regular season we havent lost when leading a close game after the U4. I would have just assumed we had at some point choked away a lead.
  6. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

That speaks to our ability as a defensive team and inability to create on offense.

The thing that I found most remarkable was Tavons performance in a supporting roll vs the roll that he has on the team this season.

That and the fact that we are getting to the line so much less than we have in previous years.
  7. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Correct and that shocks nobody who pays attention. We have not been able to create anything on offense for 15 years.

I know you meant role, but based on his figure I think he could have problems supporting rolls.

It is hard to get to the line if you are taking jumpers, always has. This team seems to take a lot of jumpers and why everyone was screaming to feed the bigs (which they have done better than at the beginning of the year). They go away from that late in games when "we need a basket" and we settle for bad jump shots.
  8. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

Yes I meant role.. Sorry. Doing all of this on my phone right now.

This team is so quick to move away from what is working. See: Discipline, and not the coach screaming at players and aggressively clapping his hands in their face kind.