Can we get in the A-10?

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by DUfunnyman, Mar 6, 2011.

1. DUfunnyman

DUfunnyman Active Member

This conference would be perfect for us. Years ago this would be pipe dream, but is it still? If it's one thing Bruiser has been very successful at is earning respect in the city. We are right there with Lasalle, St. Joe's, and can compete with Temple. Send Saint Louis to Conference USA....boot Charlotte to the CAA. We are better than both of those schools.

I'm sick of the CAA. It's a good conference with good basketball, but geographically it doesn't make sense for us. And with the tournament (which is the only weekend that counts) being held in Richmond we will need to essentially win 2-3 straight road games to win this. It's highly unlikely for any northern school to do this.

A-10 tournament held in Atlantic City every year. Now that's a truly neutral site. Don't know what that feels like...
  2. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

Please don't lump us in with LaSalle, we are lightyears ahead of them. The A-10 would never let a 4th Philly team in, and I don't think the other Philly schools would want us in either even if LaSalle were to be removed from the picture.
  3. DUfunnyman

DUfunnyman Active Member

Why not let a 4th Philly team in? We play some of them every year anyways, let's just make it a conference game. Would even heat up the rivalry a bit.
  4. bmf25

bmf25 Active Member

Patriot League

Next years team would go undefeated in the Patriot League.

The A-10 won't let us in because we'd take recruits from St. Joes and LaSalle.
  5. DrachenFire

Because then the A10 turns into the CAA with too many teams in one basket, only in this case the schools are in one city instead of one state.
  6. ParkersStrip

ParkersStrip New Member

Richmond fan here. Would love to see LaSalle get booted from A-10 and bring Drexel into the conference.
  7. dan10

dan10 Active Member

The issue with drexel is we dont fit in anywhere. We are not a typical school and there are very few with the circumstances as us. That is why we have to take anything we can get, and the caa is extremely good and we should be glad to be here, regardless of biases. This was mentioned earlier in the season but the only teams off the top of my head even remotely close to us academically, athletically, etc are the likes of northeastern, boston university, and george washington. I may have missed some, but the point is there are not many. A-10 makes sense because of lack of football, but there are the other issues like 4 teams from a city etc.

From my own personal belief complaining about bias and unfair advantages for a tournament are excuses. This year is a very different beast, because of the bs that happened, and I knwo thats why this topic was brought up. However, good teams can win on the road and in tough environments. If we consider ourselves to be even a decent team with any type of ceiling than the caa is perfectly fine. We are not out of our league in this conference. The talent is there and proven to be there. We have usually been a top half team since we left the america least. Yes we all want to win a title and be dancing, but that doesnt happen for most of the 344(?) teams in america.

Our program is at a point where we can't start to get spoiled and expect top 1 finishes every single year. Yes we should be able to get over the freaking hump, but at this point its a work in progress. We all expect that to be next year. If not we all know what changes should occur. However, keep in mind we are not a towson feeding the bottom of the conference every single year, we are right up there with odu, gmu, and vcu. The next step is to learn to win on the road in hostile environments, including the conference tournament.

That is where as fans our expectations need to be right now. Switching conferences is a cop-out telling everyone that we cant make it in the caa. I feel that would be a mistake and stupid on our part. I know this is not being talked about seriously, but I felt this needed to be said. Yes we suffered a brutal "loss" but we cant have the philly fans mentality of wanting perfection all of the time and want to jump ship when something doesnt go our way.
  8. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Part of my hatred toward LaSalle has to do with the fact that when their experiment with the now defunct MCC didn't work out for them from 92-96, I thought that the NAC would have been the perfect place for LaSalle, and I thought that LaSalle and Drexel could have had one hell of a rivalry over the years. But since they were in the Big 5 and won a national championship 500 years ago, they thought that they were too good for that and needed to be in a upper echilon conference. Somehow, the Atlantic 10 let them in. I'm thrilled that Drexel has far surpassed LaSalle and LaSalle has been a complete failure in their 15 years in the Atlantic 10.

Another irony is that when Delaware was in their heyday in the 90's, they were invited to join the Atlantic 10 and turned down the invitation. They regret doing that, but it's interesting to think if it would have helped them or not.
  9. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

I think DU Funnyman just wants to go to Atlantic City instead of Sh!tsmond every year. Can you blame him?
  10. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Oh I realize this jb...instead of drinking the problems away (since there isnt anything else worthwhile to do in richmond) we could gamble our sorrows away...regardless they achieve the same thing in the end.
  11. philcski

philcski Active Member

Well said.
    As for peer schools academically/athletically, I think the first 3 you listed are the closest, plus I'd add Delaware (sucks) in there... well 2 of those 4 are in our current conference. No reason to switch.

I really like the CAA, except for the conference tournament BS. From a competitive perspective it's the perfect place. We can compete financially despite a small gym and a crowded recruiting base. Our other sports generally do well. Travel is reasonable. We have an outside shot at getting in as something other than a conference tournament champion (a 0% chance in the Patriot, MAAC, or AEast.)

Quite frankly, the A-10 took a step back in my mind when they added again a few years back. It's still a really good league, but the balance is no longer there.
  12. Oneway

Oneway New Member

In my opinion, football will most likely be the catalyst for the next conference alignment. Personally, I see the CAA and A-10 football schools combining and CAA/A-10 basketball schools aligning with a raid or two from another conference.
  13. DrachenFire

^ Yup, I tend to agree. It really is sickening that the NCAA has allowed the bowl consortium to effectively run every other collegiate sport that colleges offer. The falling over one another of colleges and the conferences to align themselves better to suckle at the BCS teat is nauseating, but the NCAA never had the balls to step in and stop it. So in a few years when the BCS conferences decide that they need to go to 16 teams each the real earthquakes will be felt. It will be interesting to see where we end up when the dust settles.
  14. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

I think everyone should just relax about the CAA. Yes, Drexel lost a very exciting/close game and the Ref's weren't great ( to say lightly). However this League is very strong and does get high press when teams are doing well. After Championship today, there is a chance that there will be 3 teams NCAA tourney. The first ever! I think this is a good League to stay. Especially, with our young players. I forsee that in the next 2-3 years, we should have a very good team. Especially, with pretty much every other team is losing there best players due to graduation. While we are only losing Colds
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  15. DrexPhanatic

DrexPhanatic Active Member

Strong league, yes. But when the sponsor of your tournament is the Virginia 529 College Savings Plan and it is played in the same crappy, non-neutral arena year after year after year after year after year without a change, it makes you wonder what business any non-VA school has being in this ass-backwards league...
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  16. DrachenFire

Hey, don't bash the sponsors. I fully plan on buying a new automobile from Mr. Moore the next time I pass through Richmond on my way to North Carolina. He seems like a reputable businessman.
  17. Dragon for life

Well it is in richmond... Would make sense that there would be VA sponsorship in Va... Im sick of 4 years of richmond too but, I rather it be there then say ODU, JMU ( middle of nowhere!!!) and or Ga State. Lets Face it theres no place where there would be a "neutral" Court. The A- Smutz ..10 really isnt a desirable destiniation lack of competition maybe if we got in the Big East but, I dont see that happening so lets just be happy with the CAA and be exciting for a potential NIT. Maybe ask for better Ref's but It would be a disaster if we left this league
  18. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

simple solution.. stick the conference tournament in Baltimore and the CAA is perfect.. sure, towson would have the "home court advantage" but they don't have any fans anyway..
  19. DrexPhanatic

DrexPhanatic Active Member

I don't mind if its at a non-neutral place, but at least ROTATE it! The A-10 was in Philly for a couple years, then went out to Dayton, now its in AC. The WCC used to be on team's home floors (read: Gonzaga) but now they are in Sin City. A lot of smaller conferences have the #1 team host, which naturally lends itself to rotation. Heck, the ACC even rotates it from time to time (I think).

Only conferences off the top of my head that have stayed in the same location for 10+ years are the CAA, Big East (MSG - support for teams is so large and conference is stacked that I don't think that St. John's has any real advantage) and MVC (St. Louis - neutral site).
  20. J.B.

J.B. Active Member

Actually, you really need to move it to a different city every year, even if it's in Richmond once every 3-4 years. I think that VCU has a recruiting advantage every year since they can tell their recruits that VCU hosts the conference tournament every year. Remember how good Delaware was when they hosted the AE Tourney? Now look at them.
  21. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

but the A-East championship game was at the higher seeds arena... that was WAY more fair then the CAA's current system..
  22. VCUChazz

VCUChazz Guest

get some whine wth that cheese??????move along people,nothing to see here.....
  23. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Except when it means parading down to the BOB year after year.
  24. RF

RF New Member

Sorry, but the last thing the A-10 needs is another Philadelphia school with substandard facilities and small fanbase. It already minimally has one of those too many now (LaSalle which has yet to go to a postseason tournament since it joined the A-10 sixteen years ago).

As mentioned above - the best case conference would be with other more urban privates that do not have football - Boston University, Northeastern, Hofstra, and GW come to mind.
  25. Dragon for life

Well obviously your high RF.. If your comparing Drexel to Lasalle but thats another debate for another post.

Lets Disect A-10 Lodgically shall we?
    1. A-10's 6 teams are Xaiver, Temple, Richmond, Duquesne, GW and RI
    vs CAA Top 6
    2. Mason, ODU Hofstra, VCU( ew) Drexel and JMU

How can you look down on Drexel or any of those CAA Teams.

Drexel Has a pretty Solid Fan base
    We have better Academics/Co-Op i.e we actually get jobs after we graduate
    We have a New Rec Center with a bar and grill attached, which is pretty awesome.
    Half of the Teams in the A-10 are Shiza and Drexel/ Other CAA top teams would beat/ be very competitive( i.e close games) in any of those games.

Debate me if im wrong?
  26. RF

RF New Member

Drexel plays in a substandard facility and drew an average of just 2040. The school does not have a large fansbase and does not get a lot of attention and coverage in Philly. Drexel can't even get its games on a real radio station.

Most of the A-10 plays in modern 1st class arenas that are on a far different plane than the DAC.

The CAA had its best year ever this season and is still behind the A-10 in the RPI rankings.

As for records vs each other, the CAA was slightly better this year and the A-10 was much better last season. Most years, the A-10 comes out on top. Just for an example, look at Rhode Island. They are usually a mid pack A-10 team. They however have an 8-1 record vs the CAA over the last four seasons (played VCU, Drexel, Northeastern, and Hofstra) and they didn't play any of the dregs like Towson.