Bruiser is Gone!!

Discussion in 'Drexel Dragons' started by Dragon for life, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

Let a new era begin!!
  2. PhilaMonarchFan

PhilaMonarchFan Active Member

Just heard the news on KWY while driving home from the office. Drexel Jay must be ecstatic.

The news reader actually said Bruiser had some good teams over the years although the Dragons never went dancing, though they came close several times. I'll always remember the successful year Drexel beat Syracuse. That likely was Bruisers best year. And wasn't Drexel the top team amongst the Philly 6 (0r is it City 6"?) that year as well?

A new era for Drexel Basketball.
    Blaine Taylor is available, or maybe Larry Brown wants to return to Phila?
  3. Dragon for life

Dragon for life Active Member

I wouldn't mind Blaine... assuming he is "recovered"
  4. drexelJay

drexelJay Active Member

I am definitely happy although I would like to see Zillmer go as well before I would consider myself "ecstatic"

I will say this... For as much as I have gotten on Bruiser over the years, he was a really good dude and represented the University with pride and class. He deserved at least one trip (if not two) to the dance in his time here and truly bled blue and gold. I know I was REALLY hard on him - sometimes probably a bit over the top - but I want to thank him for giving it his all and for some GREAT memories.

Looking forward to the future!
    DrachenFire likes this.
  5. DrachenFire

DrachenFire Well-Known Member

Come on, the goal is to make the NCAAs. This would just cause the reason for missing shifting from poor performance to rules violations.
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

7. PhilaMonarchFan

PhilaMonarchFan Active Member

Record of 19 & 13 in 2012/2012. Apparently he lead Army to its first winning record in 20(?) years. I'll let you guys talk this guy up.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  8. MetSox

MetSox Active Member

9. spearsie

spearsie Member

Well written Metsox - agree with your assessment - aggressive move in bringing Spiker. Considering the options like a program like Drexel has, I believe this hire was a solid one. Hopefully, he brings in a good staff and the current players and recruits buy in. It has been a while, but I am excited about the program again.
  10. dan10

dan10 Active Member

We won't know if it is a home run or not until time is given to Spiker, but I also thought it was a good message from Zillmer that we were not just going to pick the easy or familiar candidate. It is unfortuante to lose Terrell Allen though.
  11. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Ehhhhh those winning records with Army, while they were with Army recruits, they weren't against very tough competition. More like the dregs of the dregs. But who knows! I'll stay optimistic.

Really disappointed we're losing Terrell. Maybe slightly less optimistic.
  12. dan10

dan10 Active Member

My only response is then why isn't everyone winning at Army? To act like we would blow away all Patriot league teams with any consistency is a bit far fetched. Would we win more than we lose against them? Most years...probably, but if we were in that league do I think we would be dancing nearly every year? No I do not think we would dancing every year. Would we be top half most seasons? Sure, but we've been that in the CAA until recently and look where that got us.
  13. EvanJ

EvanJ Active Member

For the last seven seasons, Division I has ranged from 343 to 351 teams. Army's strength of schedule has ranged from 270th to 328th, with a mean of 301st.
  14. DuBirdsFan

DuBirdsFan Member

BUT HE WAS MENTORED BY COACH K! (<----- Sarcasm)
  15. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Curious, DuBirdsFan, who did you want to be our next head coach?
  16. DuBirdsFan

DuBirdsFan Member

Doesn't matter who specifically I wanted. There are basketball minds who should make that decision.

What I did want was a better process to get there:

- Alumni / fans to be welcomed back into the program - Hey, we're moving in a new direction, here's a framework for what that looks like. What would you guys like to see in this new direction? If for nothing else but optics, this would have helped stem the tide of apathy that's taken hold of our fan base.

- A coach that has a pedigree from a major program that would excite folks immediately. Clearly, that hasn't happened. I've talked to a LOT of people (former players, former DAC Packers, high school coaches) and the group is pretty polarized. Would have been a great idea for the search committee to understand this prior.

- A coach that has shown he can recruit in an environment like Drexel. Spiker - restrictions at Army, and the opportunity to have an Ivy League degree at Cornell. Neither are the case at Drexel. Would have much preferred a coach whose ability to recruit was a bit more de-risked on paper.

- Someone who gets Drexel, or at the very least is willing to fill out his staff with folks who get Drexel...it's such a strange place with a strange basketball history, you need someone who truly wants to understand this. I can't get into much detail here, but Spiker has not shown that to be the case.

BOTTOM LINE - I want to get back to where Drexel basketball was in '07 / '12... fun..energy...unique...maybe we will get there? I don't feel any of those things about Drexel hoops right now, and it makes me sad.
  17. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Fair points. I would offer these counters/responses.

- I agree this was not handled well at all, but I also was not expecting it to be. Our admin has always been very tight lipped about anything, so expecting any leaks or a welcome bus would have been very out of line with what has happened over the last decade+

- Maybe so. As you stated Drexel is kind of its own beast and is very unique compared to many places. I am not so sure that a big splash name would have created any extra excitement immediately. Results are what will get the fanbase excited. This aspect is an unknown with any coaching hire. There is generally a lack of interest in sports at drexel and winning brings people in. Even after '06-'07 the fans died down quickly from the preseason followed by poor results in '07-'08.

- I think Drexel is such a unique recruiting area that I really am not sure who would fit this other than people who either played under Bru or were already part of his staff. I think this point is something just about everyone wanted to avoid in this hire, which they did. Recruiting at Army is extremely difficult. Recruiting at an Ivy league school is extremely difficult. Recruiting at Drexel is extremely difficult. Of the 3 options, I do believe Drexel is the easiest of the 3. It is most definitely an unknown with his past what that will yield here. I do know our fanbase was quite split on the idea of whether or not the next coach needed to be a strong recruiter. Time will tell on this one, but I think recruiting here is going to be a lot easier for him than either Army or Cornell.

- Very few get Drexel, I feel like that would have limited our ability to get a new coach other than from the Bruiser tree (players or assistants). Again it seemed like just about everyone wanted a different direction than that route, which they did. So I don't see that point as a negative.

We all want it to get back to those times, they were as fun as they could be without ever going dancing. With anyone we hired, I am not sure that the energy or fun atmosphere would return immediately. Until we see the product on the court it will always be hard to judge. Philadelphia as a whole, which includes drexel, is very results driven. Winning will heal most wounds. I am just as interested as most to see where this will go, but until the ball tips off it will be hard to get a good gauge on it. I think we needed something different. We got something different. Will it be a good different or a abd different or just different? Only time will tell.
  18. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

So the generous view is that he could be at least a middling as we've been the past few years?
  19. dan10

dan10 Active Member

That was in response to where we have been in the CAA and the response to saying his wins at Army are inflated due to the strength of those teams. I am saying if we were in that same conference we would not have been running roughshod on those teams. I really dont have any idea how he will do here, he is quite the unknown. But I am not going to throw in the towel before the team even plays a game under him.
  20. MedicSBK

MedicSBK Member

21. spearsie

spearsie Member

What is Calipari smoking?
  22. relaxing

relaxing Active Member

Well, the CAA was pretty weak this year, no?

I uh, I didn't actually watch many conf games this year so...
  23. dan10

dan10 Active Member

Yeah apparently the season before was not an indication for Cal how last year would have gone with Lee. Anyhow that is just Cal sticking up for a good friend who lost his job, nothing more. Everyone understands Bru was a good person but in the end the timing was correct, assuming we ever truly desire results.