Basketball Schedule, 2014-15

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by Big Tribe, May 1, 2014.

1. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

No information has been released on our upcoming mens basketball schedule and, at this early date, it's pretty certain much of it is in the early stage.

One thing we should hope for is that the schedule includes a strong early tourney where our new crew gets a chance to play good teams on a neutral court to facilitate the integration of our younger players into the offense. It has been years since we went to a decent pre-season event at a one-location neutral court with good teams...Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Madison Square Garden and others all have these.

Hopefully the athletic department is working to lineup one of these...it would be a lot better than flying around to the home courts of strong teams as we usually seem to do and give our young team a chance to play good competition early on on a neutral court.

With just one senior (Marcus) who will play regularly it would really help if a tourney like this can be scheduled to
    get this team experience fast, retaining a decent chance to win against good competition on a neutral court. This team has a solid chance to be very good, better than this past season's team, and needs every chance.

As anybody hears of the schedule this thread will be a good place to follow as we move on.
  2. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

I agree that a pre-season/pre-conference play tournament would be a good investment of time and money for for next years Tribe squad, for all of the reasons mentioned by BT. It would not be the same as last years summer trip to the DR but would certainly help integrate the five new players with the eight players remaining from last year. And I , too, think next years team has an opportunity to be even better than last year's squad.

What is involved in getting to one of those tournaments? Do you have to pay? do you have to be invited by the team holding the tourney? do we advertise our availability of Craigs List??
  3. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

At these tourneys you don't pay...you need to be invited. Frankly, you need the athletic director and head coach really working on it. Drexel went to an eight team pre-season last year in, I believe, Puerto Rico.
  4. TribeHeart

TribeHeart Active Member

Think other than another one of the one game at a host team tournaments, that ship has sailed for 2014/15, since all of the neutral site tournaments have been filled and announced with the exception of the Cancun Challenge. CofC (Puerto Rico Tip-off), Drexel (Charleston Classic), Northeastern (Hall of Fame Tip-off) and UNCW (Gulf Coast Showcase) are pencilled in.
  5. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

Sorry to see this...our scheduling features a total lack of imagination and early planning. Why are all these CAA teams in these tourneys and not us?
  6. NCTribe

NCTribe New Member

I disagree with the premise that next season would have been a good year for the Tribe to play in one of the early season tournaments. Three games in 3 or 4 days (depending on which tournament) is not a good way for a young team to come together. I have seen Davidson participate in 4 of these events over the last 6 seasons. Going 0-3 and getting spanked with a team that will have 3 new starters and will need significant contributions from freshman isn't a good way to get started. With Davidson's young teams, I think the tournament hurt their confidence. Davidson had been penciled in for a tournament next season, but since they are replacing 3 starters and will need big contributions from freshman, they will not participate.
    One other thing about these tournaments, you don't really get paid to go. If you do play a road game at Big State U, you get a paycheck. Early season tournaments are great if you have a solid veteran team coming back.
  7. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

Good points NC. I had forgotten that Tribe actually does get paid for some of the early season away games VS big time competition
  8. socal frank

socal frank New Member

Show me the money! Theses games are important as memory makers and money makers!
  9. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

I read today that UVA opens its season AT James Madison!

We haven't gotten UVA to play at our place in decades, if ever.
  10. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

92-93 year, or around then. Lost in overtime to a very good, top 25 ranked UVA team at home. The hall was packed & rocking.
  11. TribeHeart

TribeHeart Active Member

12. Indians

Indians New Member

13. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

What's the scoop on the UNC team strength for next year?? I know the're always pretty good, at least.
  14. socal frank

socal frank New Member

From an insider, UNC expects to be loaded next year. Regardless, this is a good thing and I hope we can get a couple more of these. Congratulations to staff on this game.
  15. TribeHeart

TribeHeart Active Member

16. billymac

billymac New Member

The very definition of a "clean break"...ouch.
  17. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

How did Terry break his finger? anybody know?
  18. TribePride

TribePride New Member

Terry says on twitter that he broke it on an outdoor rim, so I assume he was dunking outside back in CT.
  19. TribeHeart

TribeHeart Active Member

The little (BIG) things that don't get noticed in a college basketball program:
    http://instagram.com/p/nx_GnEggpC/

Congrats to all of this weekend's graduates of the College, no matter what your circumstances....You're forever part of the Tribe family now and this will stick with you the rest of your life........
  20. Nogretheogre

Nogretheogre New Member

Zzzzzzzxxx
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  21. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

Confirmation that most of the team will be in W&M summer school taking multiple courses to ease the workload during the long basketball season. This, of course, gives the players the opportunity to workout informally together.
  22. mrjoolius

mrjoolius Active Member

So, playing at UNC & Florida. Tough OOC schedule.

Rothstein tweeted:
    "Florida will host William + Mary as part of its non-conference schedule next season, source told @CBSSports. Good MM opponent for Gators."
  23. Tank

Tank New Member

24. TribeHeart

TribeHeart Active Member

I recall it being announced by VCU, well back, that we would start back an alternate year home and home series with them. Another strong addition to the OOC if this is the year it starts.

In addition, if the Governor's Holiday Hoops Classic continues (only announced for 2012 and 2013 under McDonnell), then I would think we are due for a rotation in it.
  25. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

We do have a home game with VCU this season. With VCU, Florida and North Carolina already on the schedule our RPI should be something...that's three potential top ten opponents.
  26. DistrictBaller

DistrictBaller Active Member

VCU will not be playing at W&M. Not sure where that came from.
  27. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Active Member

More evidence of the UNC game:
    Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 3m

North Carolina will host William & Mary as part of its non-conference schedule next season, source told @CBSSports.
  28. WML33T

WML33T Active Member

Do we really need more "evidence" than the press release from their official athletics site?