Baseball Schedule

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by deadred, Jan 26, 2014.

1. nj alum

nj alum New Member

Yep ... second year in a row that a CAA school has taken down an SEC school ... Tribe knocked off Ole Miss (finished fourth in the West) twice last year in the NCAA baseball tournament.

Very impressive by the Cougs ... and Georgia Southern ... does Pike do baseball?
  2. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

Among those signing up to play in the amateur baseball summer leagues this summer are Katz, Ingraham and Thompson.

Does this mean that these three guys are all intending to return to W&M for their final year of eligibility?
    Katz is surprising, especially, in that many think he will opt for MLB.

Perhaps the recently released list of expected top one hundred mlb draft choices this month, which does not include any of our three stars, means they'll opt out of signing since that would put them in the fourth round of the draft at the very most, and perhaps well lower.

Katz and Ingraham will play in the top-rated Cape Cod League, while Thompson in the equally good
    Coastal Plains League.

Player Team League
    Chase Bailey Alexandria Aces Cal Ripken League
    Nick Brown New Bedford Bay Sox New England College Baseball League
    Joseph Gaouette Herndon Braves Cal Ripken League
    Charley Gould Martinsville Mustangs Coastal Plains League
    Ryan Hissey Y-D Red Sox Cape Cod
    Tim Hoehn New Bedford Bay Sox New England College Baseball League
    Jason Inghram Harwich Mariners Cape Cod
    Michael Katz Harwich Mariners Cape Cod
    Ryder Miconi Wachusett Dirt Dawgs Futures League
    Daniel Powers Vienna River Dogs Cal Ripken League
    Porter Reinhart Alexandria Aces Cal Ripken League
    Josh Smith New Bedford Bay Sox New England College Baseball League
    Matthew Tilley Baltimore Dodgers Cal Ripken League
    Nick Thompson Edenton Steamers Coastal Plains League
    John Yoest Herndon Braves Cal Ripken League
  3. tribe_pride 2

tribe_pride 2 Active Member

I'd have to imagine unless you were guaranteed to be in the top XX picks (not sure what that number would be), you sign up for an amateur team and if you get drafted and sign, you can get out.

I could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if that is the scenario.
  4. hktribefan

hktribefan Active Member

Big win by Charleston who go 3-0 to advance to the super regional. Big for the CAA.
  5. Tribe14SF

Tribe14SF Active Member

Tyler Thornton of CofC went 9 giving up 4 hits for their third win. Same guy who shut us out for 8 in last CAA tourney game. He has stepped up to give them that third quality starter.
    Based on RPI they were in the toughest regional.
  6. baseballfan

baseballfan Member

Last time I checked Mike Katz was not listed on the roster of the Harwich Mariners. I believe that we have seen the last of him in a Tribe uniform. The first year player draft starts tomorrow, and my guess is that he will be gone by the end of day two (rounds 2-10). As for the other two, they do appear on the rosters of the above mentioned teams, but can certainly leave if they are drafted and the offer is right. Here's hoping that we have five Tribe names called by the time the draft ends on Friday.
  7. tribe_pride 2

We are about 5 picks into the 5th round and still not picked yet.

I know the bonus structure is lower now due to a draft bonus pool and also know that there is less leverage for bonuses after your senior year than junior year or high school so what kind of bonus can he get in the mid to late single digit rounds and at what point does he come back for another year because it is not worth the small bonus?
  8. wanm65

wanm65 New Member

No one picked through 6 rounds
  9. Rocco

Rocco Active Member

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2014-draft-assigned-pick-values-for-top-10-rounds/

Assuming he goes in the top 10 rounds I don't know if it financially makes sense to come back. Even if he improves his stock by 2-3 rounds a) you're delaying your start of service time, b) time value of money says to get paid now, c) you have no leverage as a senior.
  10. mw8632

mw8632 New Member

If it were me, I would be asking a simple question of myself. Can I make it to the major leagues? If I think that I can make it, then it really doesn't matter if you wait a year. If the answer were no, then I'd be making a decision on whether I even want to play after college or just enter the job market. If money is important to me now, maybe I take the money, but would still figure out how to graduate.

Here's the real tough facts about pro baseball. 30 teams with 25 on the major league roster. 750 players. About a third are Latin so 500 left for American players. Players are approximately 25-35 years old so maybe 50 per each age in that window. Hundreds are drafted each year. It is nearly impossible to make it simply given the numbers, injuries, etc. Minor league baseball doesn't pay much and it is a grind. If you ever have a chance to go to a minor league camp during spring training you will be amazed at just how young the Latin kids are. Many are under 18.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  11. Rocco

Rocco Active Member

A player can go back and get his degree at any time in his life. The window to be a professional baseball player is much smaller. It's easy to say "it doesn't matter if you wait a year" but one serious injury and any career is in jeopardy.
  12. tribe_pride 2

8th round 10 picks in (235 total), no picks yet for the Tribe. First few rounds had supplemental picks which is why there were 225 picks in the first 7 rounds. About 80 more picks with 2 2/3 rounds left today.
  13. mw8632

mw8632 New Member

My comment was purely from a money perspective, and I didn't say anything about getting a degree as part of the decision on whether to go or not. If you think you will make it to the big leagues then what you get in bonus ends up being much less important that what you will make in salary. I agree with you on the injury point.
  14. baseballfan

baseballfan Member

Thompson first off the board for the Tribe. Taken by St. Louis with the 255th pick, the last pick in round 8.
  15. baseballfan

baseballfan Member

Katz off the board with the 265th pick, 9th round to the Mets. Think both of our corner outfielders from last season are long gone. Congrats to both of them on going in the top ten rounds. Well deserved for both of them.
  16. mw8632

mw8632 New Member

Katz drafted at 265 by the Mets. Good stuff. My wife's godson was drafted in the 9th round six or seven years ago out of high school and got a $250k signing bonus. He took it and turned down a scholarship to a D1 school and never got out of single A. Now out of baseball. Not sure if that's what 9th rounders get nowadays, but that's a decent chunk of change.
  17. baseballfan

baseballfan Member

The Cardinal's 8th round pick is slotted for $154,200 and the Mets' 9th round pick is slotted for $149,000. Both young men should do quite well.
  18. tribe_pride 2

That is great for both of them.
  19. Rocco

Rocco Active Member

The MLB Network guys (Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo) both really liked Katz's bat. Neither felt like he could stick in the OF and would end up at 1B which hurt his value.
  20. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

Katz has a real chance to move up fast with the Mets. They are a very poor hitting team, especially in the outfield and first base, and big Mike has an exceptional bat. His future is at first base as someone above noted. Thompson has a chance, too...his fielding is suspect but there's little lacking with his bat....he can continue his PHD work in molecular biology in the off-season.

Loved watching them play for the Tribe...100% effort every play and some smoking hitting...and they will be missed; but would be great to have the two of them in the majors one day.
  21. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

Are there any stats on how many players who are drafted beyond a certain level actually go on to play in the Majors? How many baseball players who are "new" to the Pros each year eventually play for a Major League team? Are signing bonuses paid over a number of years or is it just one big paycheck, subject to income taxes?
  22. tribe_pride 2

Not sure if this is what you meant, but the signing bonus (whether it is paid over years or 1 check) is always subject to income taxes.

That said, I think the signing bonus for draftees is a lump sum payment.

Also, according to this, http://www.angelfire.com/vt/prospectwatch/index88.html it looks like players drafted between round 6-10 have a 20% chance of reaching the majors. Whether true or not, I have no clue and I have no clue when this article was made.
  23. swampcougar1

swampcougar1 Member

Do not know overall percentages but since we started a baseball team about 1990 we have had about 80 players drafted. Only 4 of them ever made it to the major league level. I have always felt they were better of to go ahead and graduate from college. The issue is this is a dream they have had since they were 8 and 9 years old. I think all of us at one point have strived to reach our dream even when odds were against us. You can not fault them for signing and giving it their best shot for trying to live their dream. Good luck to your players selected and wish the best for them
  24. NCTribe

NCTribe New Member

Signing bonus is just that, money paid when you sign. I suppose you could negotiate and have the money spread out over a few years, which would lower the total tax bite, since you probably wouldn't be making any real money for a few years, even if you eventually make it to the majors.

I have been a season ticket holder for our local Single-A minor league team for 14 years. The statistic that I have heard on numerous occasions is that about 1 in 20 (5%) of minor leaguers make it to the majors. But, I have never seen any hard numbers to support this claim and it includes all those who get a cup of coffee as post Labor Day call-up when the rosters are expanded to 40. I have also never seen data regarding odds of making it based on where you are drafted. There are a lot of minor leaguers who are drafted in rounds in the 20's and 30's and I don't think all that many of them make to the bigs. The farther up the system you go the more things like slow foot speed, lack of home run power and and a weak throwing arm start to slow your progress.
    Too bad we don't have a Cardinals team in our league, the South Atlantic, but we do have a Mets team, the Savannah Sand Gnats. Our only home series against the Sand Gnats this season is this coming week, so i won't get to see any Tribe players this year. Maybe next season. We have had a kids from JMU, ODU, VCU and even Davidson, but no one from W&M.
  25. socal frank

socal frank New Member

Savannah Sand Gnats. Priceless. I'm cheering for the Palm Springs Power this summer under the misters in toasty Palm Springs. Currently backing the eaters from UCI who are one win from Omaha.
  26. mw8632

mw8632 New Member

Another thought on whether to go or not. If a player wants to stay in baseball as a coach or manager then signing up right away makes sense too even if you may never make it to the big leagues. There are tons of coaching jobs at all levels both pro and amateur. Most don't pay a lot, but if it is what you love to do then hey, maybe money isn't everything.
  27. wanm65

wanm65 New Member

28. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

Part of the deal college baseball made with MLB is that drafted players who do decide to leave after their junior year have college tuition paid by the MLB club in addition to the signing bonus..this encourages players to return and graduate in off seasons. There may be a time limit to this, but I do not know aht that might be.

Bill Bray returned recently and earned his degree.
  29. baseballfan

baseballfan Member

Saw a stat a few years ago that less than half of all first round picks ever don a major league uniform. The odds are long for any draft pick.
  30. baseballfan

baseballfan Member

Lindemuth to the Yankees in round 37 with the 1112th pick.