Baseball Schedule

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by deadred, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Tribester

Tribester New Member

Game over...nice season but Charleston is the better team. Great pitching beats good hitting every time.
  2. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

CoC up 5-0 in the 8th. They've scored in each of the last 4 innings. The Coug's hurler struck out 8 Tribe batters and retired the last 10 he faced.
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  3. trbefn

trbefn New Member

Congrats to C of and good luck
  4. Wren Building

Wren Building New Member

No reason to even watch selection show, right?
  5. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

Rallied to 6-4 but too little too late.
  6. deadred

deadred New Member

RPI way to high, no way we even sniff an at large. That's one of the problems scheduling weak opponents.
  7. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

The only team that did not perform well enough to compete in the CAA tourney last season just won the A-10 title.
  8. nj alum

nj alum New Member

You're back? The vendetta continues? Get lost! They're the regular season CAA champs ... they'll get "sniffed".

This was one of W&M's best baseball teams ever ... Regular season conference champs .... Lost in championship round of conference tourney ... One of best hitting teams in the country ... One of top 75 teams in the country ... Congrats to the players and coaching staff!

If the committee looks at conferences (which they say they don't), and they determine that CAA is a two bid league, W&M is in.

If the committee looks at teams only (which they say they do), hard to make a case for the Tribe because of the OOC losses.

Your post is idiotic ... Team didn't get it done against this year's OOC schedule, and you imply that the team would get a sniff if the OOC schedule was more difficult. Geez!
  9. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

NJ Alum is right on.

This was an exciting, talented team to watch with at least two, possibly three or four MLB draft prospects.
    Never gave up and even today brought the tying run to the plate in the 9th after rallying for four runs in that inning..

The team was one quality pitcher short this season...one more and this team would have won 36-40 games,

Look forward to another big season next year...Coach Murphy has several outstanding pitching prospects coming in.
  10. nj alum

nj alum New Member

As I see it this morning, there are about 37 schools in play for 33 - 34 at large spots, including W&M. Unfortunately, the "37" number doesn't include the SEC as almost all of those schools could be picked, and likely will be picked, by the committee. So, the real number is around 45 - 47 schools for 33 - 34 spots.

I figure the Tribe has a 5 - 10% chance of being selected as one of the last at large bids.

Selection show on ESPNU at noon on Memorial Day.

We'll see.
  11. mw8632

mw8632 New Member

We had one real bad break (literally) when Lindemuth broke his hand. To me, that derailed the offense from what was a juggernaut to a more normal scoring team.

Hats off to the new coach. We all groaned when we lost the last one, but I guess we're in good hands.
  12. Tank

Tank New Member

I'm sure I'm not the first one to say this, but winning the League is a far more impressive feat than winning the Tournament. Even though it probably won't result in an NCAA berth, this team broke new ground for the program. I hope they hang a banner next year.
  13. Wren Building

Wren Building New Member

Anyone have an idea of where Katz may be drafted, and if it will be high enough that him returning really won't be an option?
  14. deadred

deadred New Member

Reality check, CAA was down this year. Only team worth a _____ was the College of Charleston and we were 1 – 5 against them. If you think the team hit well you better check the facts. The team hit well against below average pitchers. Against better pitching the hitting stats drop dramatically. Below are the cold hard facts, we won against bad teams and got hammered by the good ones..

CAA – RPI as of 5/25

College of Charleston – 53
    W&M – 71
    UNCW – 94
    Towson – 137
    DU – 147
    NE – 197
    JMU – 203
    HU – 228

RPI of the teams we played earlier (series)

Army – 141
    High Point – 61 (lost 2 of 3 to them)
    UMBC – 252
    Cambell – 69 (won 2 of 3 to them)
    Iona – 285
    Brown - 246
    Gardner-Webb – 209 (lost all 3, wow)

RPI of teams we played earlier (single game)

UVA – 2 (ass whoopin by them)
    Longwood – 224 (split with them, that’s bad)
    Radford – 96 (squeezed out a win in 13 innings against them)
    Richmond – 182
    Norfolk St – 254 (loss to them, are you kidding me)
    VMI – 122 (loss)
    VT – 142
    ODU – 36 (got hammered by them)

So the question is NJ are you up for a little wager? If they get in my last post will be I was wrong, good luck in the future. They don’t get in your last post will be Deadred was right.
  15. nj alum

nj alum New Member

Do you read? Do you comprehend what you read? See post #308 of this thread.

What's this "good luck in the future" crap? Bailing out? Were you ever in?

Once again, get lost!
  16. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

I'm with you NJ. Posters who only show up to wave negative towels after a loss of some kind are annoying.

Looking at the RPIs, we are 71 out of 302, not bad by any means.

My frustration during the season was getting swept at Gardner Webb.

The upside was winning the CAA regular season and sweeping the Hokies.

And agreed the CAA was down vs last year, however there were zero teams above W&M from the A10, AEast, Patriot or Ivy.
  17. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

Our first year skipper did something not done before in winning the regular season and a few of our younger players really stepped up. We can build on what we have unlike some of our CAA brethern who are seemingly heading in the wrong direction.
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  18. socal frank

socal frank New Member

You nailed it Tribal. This was a good year, real good. Just not great.
  19. nj alum

nj alum New Member

According to Warren Nolan, Tribe's is 68, and CAA RPI is 13.

17 auto bids went to schools ranked higher than the Tribe, and 13 auto bids went to schools ranked lower than the Tribe. Field is 64.

Only two regional sites near Williamsburg ... Hoo'ville and Columbia, SC. Nothing in North Carolina this year.

Gonna be tough for the Tribe to make it in.
  20. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

As expected, we did not get selected...C of C draws one of the most powerful opening brackets that includes Florida and North Carolina.
  21. baseballfan

baseballfan Member

Our losses to sub-par teams such as Norfolk State, Richmond, VMI, and Longwood, and getting swept by Gardner-Webb, ensured we had little to no shot at an at-large bid. As many have said, we put up tremendous numbers against mediocre pitching, and struggled to score runs against quality pitching. That being said, it was a good season.

As for the coaching staff, they did a good job as well, but I am waiting to see what happens next season before I jump on their bandwagon. A good record alone is not indicative of a great coach. Assuming we lose both junior sluggers to the draft, we have to replace all three outfield spots, both corner infield spots, as well as second base. It is one thing to win with a veteran team. We need to see how our younger players develop next season. Which pitcher(s), under the tutelage of our pitching coach, are going to add another pitch to their repertoire, or have their mechanics tweaked to generate more velocity.

We struck out way too many times against quality pitching this season; how does the hitting coach attack that issue? We are going to have to replace the run production of 25 home runs and over 110 RBI if our two juniors sign. Not saying we cannot do it, but those are some big shoes to fill.

I am looking forward to seeing how the team progresses next season. We have some quality veteran players returning, and I hope the younger players develop so as to keep the trend of the program moving upward.
  22. deadred

deadred New Member

At-Large bid teams RPI
    Virginia – 1
    Florida – 3
    FSU – 4
    Vanderbilt – 9
    Texas – 12
    Mississippi – 13
    South Carolina – 14
    Miami – 15
    Texas Tech – 17
    Oklahoma State – 18
    Kentucky – 19
    Louisville – 20
    Indiana State – 21
    Alabama – 22
    Oregon – 23
    Washington – 24
    Maryland – 25
    Nebraska – 26
    UNLV – 27
    Long Beach State – 29
    Liberty – 30
    Mississippi State – 32
    Arkansas – 33
    ODU – 36
    Sam Houston State – 37
    Arizona State – 38
    North Carolina – 41
    Texas A&M – 42
    UC Irvine – 43
    Stanford – 44
    Kansas – 46
    Clemson – 50
    Cal State Fullerton – 54

William & Mary – 70

Rank Rating W L W L SoS Team
    111 103.9 34 22 34 22 206 William and Mary
    Our strength of schedule 206 (out of 302)

Rank Rating W L W L SoS Team
    28 114.3 32 22 32 22 17 Cal State Fullerton
    The lowest RPI team in the field has a strength of schedule of 17

*Like I said a weak schedule gets you nowhere. NJ when you learn the game then comment*
  23. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

I don't have a problem with the schedule, after all we did play Virginia twice and Virginia Tech twice.

The schedule is very typical. Once you get into the conference schedule and the weekend series, all the mid week games are going to be scheduled against nearby schools - which is what we did, as did everyone else. The big difference was an opening weekend at a high ranked opponent, other than that it looked pretty much like every other year.

The problem is we just seemed to wilt during the mid week OOC, then play like champions during the weekend. We lost too many of these mid week winnable games and the Gardner Webb series just killed us.

You can bitch all you want, but fact is this team won a first, a conference regular season championship, and finished 70 out of 300+ on RPI. Good season, not great.
  24. hktribefan

hktribefan Active Member

Warrennolan.com has WM SoS at 125 and Liberty at 123 and Sam Houston - 122. This was definitely a weaker schedule, but if we had taken care of business against a few more OOC opponents we get a closer look.
  25. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

Isn't there some way we can blame Terry Driscoll for the poor schedule/not making the tournament?

Have there been ANY Post Game Happy Hours? I think not!!
  26. nj alum

nj alum New Member

I guess wearing a Tribe baseball jersey for four years didn't allow me to learn the game, nor did the preceding years at the Little League, All Star, high school, and American Legion levels, nor in the succeeding years coaching Little League, All Stars, and travel ball. I should get my money back from W&M.

How about you? What's your connection to Tribe baseball besides being the #1 W&M baseball malcontent poster on this Board? Ever put on the green, gold and silver?

I'm not going to get into a dissertation with you. But, the bottom line is that you have been wrong since you started this thread about the Tribe's OOC schedule, and you continue to be wrong.

The top ten RPI conferences got multiple bids.

#11 Sun Belt, #12 Southern, and #13 CAA got one bid each.

#14 Southland and #17 Big South got two bids each, due to the regular season champs getting knocked out in the tourney (W&M's situation).

Liberty was the regular season champ of the Big South that got an at large. Liberty's OOC is nothing great, and similar to W&M's. Liberty's record against VMI, Campbell, High Point, and Gardner Webb was 10-1; W&M's record against those same schools was 3-7.

Liberty beat ODU and Richmond; W&M did not.

W&M did not get it done against the OOC opponents this year, and having a "better" OOC this year would not have yielded more wins, and probably would have resulted in more losses. If W&M goes 7-3, or 10-1, against the schools mentioned above, W&M is in Hooville this weekend, and not Liberty.

Looking forward to next year's OOC ... so the whining can continue ... or maybe the coach will be the target next year ... or maybe there'll be something new to attack the program with ... like the schedule is too tough ... Goldilocks and the three bears, anyone?

Get lost!
  27. nj alum

nj alum New Member

Congrats to the team on having one of the best seasons in Tribe baseball history ... looking forward to next year!
  28. trbefn

trbefn New Member

Best post on this thread !
    A regular season championship is something to be proud of and build on.

Now on time to find a QB and get ready for football !
    Go Tribe !
  29. Nogretheogre

Nogretheogre New Member

Charleston beat Florida in the tourney. They were the #1 SEC team.

CAA over SEC is always good for publicity, but that is quite the achievement.
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  30. socal frank

socal frank New Member

College of charleston's coming out party has been extended to include the gutty little gators. Long beach state is next. Stay tuned.
    Kennesaw state, Georgia southern? Who would have thunk it? Alabama and FSU know!