Baseball Schedule

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by deadred, Jan 26, 2014.

1. deadred

deadred New Member

We are 19 days away from the start of a new season, I have to ask has anyone looked at our schedule? The first five series, ARMY, HIGH POINT, UMBC, CAMBELL & IONA. We are coming off the best season ever and this is the best we could schedule? Army and Iona will not have seen green grass (at their place) before playing us (the way this winter is going they might not see grass until May). What happened to the series we have had in the past, LSU, Florida, Oklahoma and NC State? We don't play anyone until conference play starts (the series before conference play is against UMass/Lowell & Brown are you kidding me). Who put this schedule together?
  2. mw8632

mw8632 New Member

Looks like they are trying to pile up wins instead of spending a ton of money to travel to places where we will lose. Sure you get great experience playing LSU, etc. but it costs money. My guess is that one or more of those series was a replacement for a southern trip that didn't pan out for whatever reason.
  3. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

I believe that LSU and similar programs provide sizable guarantees to help defray (or cover) travel expenses.

Maine opens with series at Miami and Clemson this season.
  4. DiamondGuy

DiamondGuy New Member

I would think the schedule was set-up by Pinzino since it was published before he left. With the exception of not having an early trip to a big name school like Clemson, Florida, etc., it's a pretty normal Tribe schedule. Don't discount Campbell as being a nothing team. They had a great season last year and were pretty highly ranked at times. That said, I don't know what the expectations are for them this year. The scheduling of a major team early in the year was started by Leoni which makes Deadred's complaint a little ironic.

One thing which has me more concerned than the schedule is the lack of coaches. According the the official Tribe web site, the team only has one paid assistant coach. They promoted Murphy when Pinzino left, but never hired anyone to replace Murphy. Even Division 3 teams have two paid assistants. Has anyone heard the reasoning for this? Maybe they hired someone and didn't update the web page.
  5. TribeInTheBurg

TribeInTheBurg New Member

When Farr was head coach, the team often spent spring break on the road, usually playing against at least one big name school.
  6. mw8632

mw8632 New Member

When I played, we would go down south somewhere like Georgia Southern and play teams on the way down and back for our spring break. We didn't start as early as they do now, and back then you could play unlimited fall and spring games so some teams played 75 games and some (from up north) played about 35. Very different.

Speaking of Campbell, it is in the middle of a dry county in Buies Creek, NC. When we played there girls couldn't wear shorts or sleeveless shirts. We ate in their cafeteria for lunch, and like the rest of the students we got a bologna and cheese sandwich, and apple, and a carton of milk. That was it. The Camels are usually pretty good as a poster noted, but wow.....
  7. nj alum

nj alum New Member

So, I first checked out the Army website. Seven Patriot championships, including last year. Six NCAA appearances. In last year's NCAA tourney, lost 2-1 to UVa and 9-5 to UNCW.

Then, I checked out the High Point website. Willard Stadium looks very nice. They were 29-29 last year, 15-9 in conference. They lost to UNC 7-2, and beat ECU 4-2. Looks like this is a return trip, as last year, they won 7-5 (10) in W'burg, and then lost 5-4 and 9-5 to the Tribe.

So far, no complaints from me...sounds like these will be two very competitive series.

I'll continue to scout the schedule and will check back later.
  8. nj alum

nj alum New Member

Continuing on...

Campbell was ranked #25 at end of regular season, was 49-10 and 19-5, and won the Big South North. Lost in Big South final to Liberty, Liberty took the auto bid, and Coastal got the other bid. Wonder if the Tribe took Campbell's at large bid?

Gardner Webb finished second in Big South South...29-27 and 12-11.

Two more very competitive series...we're up to four very competitive OOC series.

I'll continue and check back later.
  9. nj alum

nj alum New Member

UMBC was at bottom of AE last year. MAAC Iona won 8 games overall. Ivy Brown won 7 games overall. UMass-Lowell moving up from D-2? They won 30 games last year, so they were good at their level. Confidence builders for the Tribe?

Ok...4 of 7 are good.

If you look at NC St.'s schedule, they really only had two weekend openings, one early (App. St.) and one late (Coastal).

If you look at Florida's schedule, the only two realistic weekends were taken by Maryland and UConn.

If you look at LSU's schedule, the only two realistic weekends were taken by Yale and Purdue.

Not going to look at Oklahoma.

Two other things. One, Tribe finished highly ranked. Going to be tough to have the big boys invite us down there for a weekend series this year. Second, with the new RPI system whereby road wins are heavily weighted, not sure the big boys are going to be giving out opportunities for RPI building with weekend series to the likes of W&M in those years when W&M is a threat for an at-large bid.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  10. TribeHeart

TribeHeart Active Member

Virginia got the preseason nod as #1 in the country today by, both, Baseball America and Perfect Game.

UNCW gets first shot at them on 2/16 (after Kentucky and VMI), but provides us a great early season matchup to make some noise on 2/18.
  11. deadred

deadred New Member

Sorry guys Army is weak and they play in a weak conference. Additionally they will be arriving at Plumeri not having seen the outdoors (they will not be ready to play). If we lose a game to them that is not going to bode well for the rest of the season. If Leoni was the one who started playing the big boys than that is the one thing I will give him credit for (that hurt). Virginia #1 WTF. Kendell must have slipped on ice and hit his head. There is no way UVA is better than CSF.
  12. Tribe14SF

Tribe14SF Active Member

Pinzino is gone. Get over it. I suspect now that he is you're rooting for a bad year to stay on your soapbox.

Go Tribe!!!
  13. mainejeff

mainejeff New Member

W&M should always have a Virginia/UNC/NC State/Clemson/GA Tech on the schedule. I think that it benefits W&M recruiting to have a couple of Top 25 teams on the schedule annually.
  14. nj alum

nj alum New Member

This year, W&M's mid-week opponents are UVa, Longwood, Va. Tech, Radford, Richmond, VMI, Norfolk, and ODU...that's pretty solid and easy on the travel budget.
  15. nj alum

nj alum New Member

Army is not weak.

Every northern school going south on that first weekend is in the same boat, and they are all not going to lose all of their games.

If you seriously believe that anything other than a sweep against an NCAA participant last year is going to be a bad omen...do you understand the game of baseball?

I subscribe to Chuck Tanner's philosophy...you're going to win a third of your games...you're going to lose a third of your games...it's how you do in the middle third of your games that determine the success of your season.

I expect Army to win one game that opening weekend. I hope the Tribe wins two, and would be very pleased with a sweep.
  16. deadred

deadred New Member

Tribe14 what does Pinzino leaving have to do with a weak (early) schedule? I made no comment about him or Murphy. I made no comment, wished or thought OUR team would have a bad year. Stop reading between the lines dip $&*^ your not good at it.

NJ yes I do understand the game, I played and coached it. Yes I do seriously believe there are series you should expect to win all three games. I do not expect to win 3 in conference games nor do I expect to win all three when playing the big boys. But I do expect to win all three when we play Brown, Iona, Army & UMBC because they are all weaker teams than us. You think when we went to LSU or Florida they did not expect to win all three?
  17. nj alum

nj alum New Member

I wasn't talking about Brown, Iona, and UMBC...I was talking about Army. If you're going to rebut the position that I took ... focus on the position I took.

W&M compared to Florida and LSU is not a valid comparison of W&M to Army...Florida and LSU are that much better than W&M...W&M is not that much better than Army.

Army was an NCAA participant last year. To say that a non-sweep of Army doesn't bode well for the Tribe's season is ridiculous...almost as ridiculous as airing dirty laundry in public.

You have zero credibility with me after what you pulled with Leoni several years back, and refused to identify yourself.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  18. nj alum

nj alum New Member

The Army ace has graduated, but the pitchers who had the second, third, and fourth most innings pitched are back. Alex Robinett was All State First Team pitcher in Oregon his senior year.

There's also the "little" matter of Stephen Reich, and what he meant to Army's program, and what he meant to the Nation.

This is a very rich program that W&M is facing in several weeks.

http://www.goarmysports.com/sports/m-basebl/army-m-basebl-body.html
  19. deadred

deadred New Member

NJ I did not compare the tribe to LSU or Florida. What I said (because you noted your philosophy on winning) is that there are programs and players who do EXPECT to win all three games of a series. I can assure you when the tribe traveled to LSU & Florida the players and coaches from both EXPECTED to win. I don't know about you but when I played I expected to win every game. It is very simple the superior team should expect to win and it should be a major let down/concern if they don't. As far as not including ARMY in my last post hang me I forgot. I will include it now, we are the better team and our guys should expect to win. If you played was it not your approach to win (expect to) every game? Or were you one of those es that wants a ribbon for participation? As far as what I "pulled" with Leoni, well last year proved my point. Lastly do you really think I care that I have no credibility with you, really?
  20. nj alum

nj alum New Member

This is what you wrote, and this is what I responded to.

The expectations of the Tribe players does not equal your prediction of doom if W&M doesn't sweep Army.

"A major letdown / concern " if the superior team doesn't win? Does that include / not include losing a game where your pitcher doesn't have it, and the other guy's pitcher does have it? What Hall of Fame pitcher never lost a game to an inferior team? The Mets of the early sixties were abysmal against Koufax, Marichal, and Gibson, but they did win a game or two, and those Mets' teams were "inferior".

Hockey has the goalie, and baseball has the pitcher...those two positions have enormous and outsized influence on the outcome of any game, or any series.

You are off your rocker, but I already knew that.

If the Tribe "expects" to win, and doesn't "respect" Army, there's going to be trouble that weekend.
  21. nj alum

nj alum New Member

I am not the only one on this Board who remembers what you "pulled" with Leoni.

As such, you are wasting your time by posting on this Board.
  22. deadred

deadred New Member

NJ if losing to weaker teams is OK by you and you feel there is no reasons to be concerned if we do lose to a weaker team so be it. I on the other hand will not subscribe to that pansy @$$ mentality. If one of our pitchers has a bad outing I would hope our coach would make a call to the pen before it’s too late. I also expect our offense to dominate the weaker teams pitching and win the runs battle. It definitely appears that the culture I played under was win baby win and yours was its OK to lose, must have been a long four years. Leoni, Leoni, Leoni you just can't give him up. Becoming clearer by every post, your acceptance of losing is what drew you to him or you’re a relative. Reality is a tough thing to deal with but you should try it some time. The guy sucked as a coach, I called it like it was, the guy was let go and the team had its BEST year ever. DEAL WITH IT!
  23. nj alum

nj alum New Member

Prior to this thread, you have indicated that Leoni sucked.

In this thread, you have indicated that the schedule sucks (post #1), the person who made the schedule sucks (post #1), Army sucks (post #11), the Patriot sucks (post #11), and if the Tribe loses to Army, the Tribe sucks (post #11).

You know me, because I identified myself in this forum to you, and indicated that I played baseball for the Tribe in my college days. Despite that knowledge, you basically now say that my teammates and I sucked when we were at W&M.

Now, I've never seen you post in this forum before two years ago when you "pulled" what you pulled with Leoni. Additionally, all of your posts concern baseball. Since you won't identify yourself, this leads me to believe that you have no connection to W&M aside from the last two years.

I post here to get information about W&M sports, and to root for W&M sports. I do not post here to tear down athletes, or coaches, at my alma mater.

Now, you have put a pretty big bulls eye on this year's squad with your 3-0 start, or bust, posts. I think that's unfair. I think it's ridiculous. I know you're off your rocker over some agenda that has nothing to do with the long-term viability of W&M and W&M athletics as you, clearly, have no connection to W&M before the last two years.

So, re-affirming my age, I will simply say - "Get lost!" :) Have a nice day!
  24. Got Ribe

Got Ribe New Member

And my ignore list welcomes a new resident!
  25. nj alum

nj alum New Member

Deadred, did I miss anything? Can't wait to read some more pearls of wisdom from your posts...or are you getting ready to publicly air more dirty laundry?
  26. deadred

deadred New Member

Rather than making the assumption that the first third of the tribe’s opponents are stronger than what I claim based on the results of the games maybe you should consider the following. There are 302 D1 teams, Stitch (Eric Sorenson) rated W&M at 66 (pre-season). Below are the opponents prior to conference play. Maybe just maybe the opponents are weak like I said and the issue currently is that we are not playing well.
    121- CAMPBELL (49-10, 19-5)
    2013 ISR: 30
    Starters Returning: 2
    Weekend Starters: 2
    Mid-Week Starters: 0
    Key Relievers (15+inns.): 2
    This is another program which probably deserved the benefit of the doubt at received an NCAA at-large bid. I mean, 49 wins? That’s like Utah Valley in 2012. Like the Wolverines, the season-after will be a major rebuilding gig. RHP Heath Bowers (9-0, 1.69) and LHP Hector Cedano (8-2, 2.50) will be the building blocks for the new staff. OF Clayton Brown hit .427 in part-time duty and 3B Elijah Trail hit only .250, but had seven yard calls and 51 RBI last season.
    168- HIGH POINT (29-29, 15-9))
    2013 ISR: 143
    Starters Returning: 5
    Weekend Starters: 0
    Key Relievers (15+inns.): 3
    Four of the top five hitters who went .316-plus come back to campus, led by Cody Manzella’s .344 and Spencer Angelis’ .319. But the top six pitchers who combined for 54 starts and 21 wins have all moved on, but reliever Joe Goodman (3-0, 072, 3svs) will be a vital piece this year. HPU will be in rebuilding mode this year.
    202- ARMY (29-23, 11-9)
    2013 ISR: 222
    Starters Returning: 8
    Key Relievers (15+inns.): 5
    After a 41-win season in 2012, last year’s 29 wins seems like a real drag. But it was still a pretty good season for the Knights, winning the PL playoffs and ending in another Regional appearance. The Cadets will miss ace Chris Rowley and his 6CGs, but everyone else is back, including No. 2 starter Alex Robinett (7-4, 3.43). Three .300+ hitters are also back led by Patrick Mescher (.341). Keep in mind, Army stole 93 bases last year.
    267- UMASS-LOWELL (30-19 at D2)
    2013 ISR: NA
    Starters Returning: 6
    Mid-Week Starters: 1
    Key Relievers (15+inns.): 2
    Big move to D1 will be helped by top hitters Geoff DeGroot (.345, 25SBs) and Jimmy Ricoy (.330, 11SBs) and top pitcher Shane Beauchemin (9-0, 1.53). Also, LeLacheur Park will be the site of the AmEast Tourney for the second year in a row. (Fingers crossed over no rain this time)
    275- MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY (18-30, 9-21)
    2013 ISR: 268
    Weekend Starters: 3
    Key Relievers (15+inns.): 4
    Much more competitive in 2013, the Retrievers look for more this year with a very experienced team. SS Kevin LaChance (.303, 14SBs) is a star in the making, but needs to goad his cohorts into lifting that boney-armed .219 team batting average. RHP Mike Gomez (2-4, 3.00, 4svs) started as a closer but worked his way to the weekend rotation by the end of last year.
    286- BROWN (7-33, 3-17)
    2013 ISR: 281
    Starters Returning: 5
    Key Relievers (15+inns.): 5
    Ack! Things gotta get better here, right? Well, having All-Ivy talent like OF Will Marcal (.324-3-23), OF Daniel Massey (.303-4-15) and RHP Anthony Galan (2-5, 4.47, 4CGs) should help push the Bears beyond the 7-win mark of 2013.
    290- IONA (8-43, 3-21)
    2013 ISR: 293
    Weekend Starters: 3
    Key Relievers (15+inns.): 3
    Ugh! The Gaels went from being competitive with 21 wins in 2012 down to just eight in 2013. Eleven players on the roster made 23 starts or more last season, so experience won’t be a problem – production might. I.C. batted .239 as a team. Be it a good thing or bad thing, 41 of last year’s 51 starts come back this year.
  27. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

This accusation about our "weak" schedule is totally a non-factor and bogus..

We lost two terrific starting hurlers and our best reliever. We are breaking in a freshman shortstop, two
    starters, a new relief pitcher, and have a couple of players starting all over at new defensive positions.

There is no reason to be playing national powerhouses while the team builds an almost new pitching staff other than one starter back from last year and break in a frosh shortstop. The CAA, by the way, is no
    pushover league with three NCAA spots last year and this year a very good Charleston team joining a strong UNCW squad in the conference.

Not to mention breaking in a new head coach.

I, for one, am very satisfied with our schedule which gives us lots of home games (most big time teams are road games for us) to build a competitive team by the time conference play rolls around.
  28. TribeAdvocate

TribeAdvocate New Member

I have to agree with Big Tribe. We're coming off of a terrific season, but we have a lot of new talent and a new HC to break in. There is no reason to be impatient. Let's let the guys get their sea legs and some confidence by the time we roll into conference play and see how we fare from there.
  29. deadred

deadred New Member

BT how can you say the claim that the schedule is weak “bogus”? If the claim was made not based on fact/s I would agree with you but that simply is not the case. As for having a terrific season last year I agree. As for losing some pitching and position players and the adverse affect that has on a team I agree with that as well. I only mentioned “playing poorly” in the context of not using the game results to prove the schedule was stronger than it is.
  30. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

Down 1-0. We have 7 hits, they have 1.