2014 football start times.

Discussion in 'William & Mary Tribe' started by Tribe14SF, May 21, 2014.

1. Tribe14SF

Tribe14SF Active Member

Va Tech game will be a 3:30 kickoff on ESPN3. Hampton set for 6pm.

Norfolk State and Lafayette likely 7pm.

Stony Brook 6pm.

Start planning now. Go Tribe!!!
  2. trbefn

trbefn New Member

Hopefully we will not but it would not surprise me if we have at least one noon game for TV and hopefully it will be a road game. It does not help attendence one bit, be it student or families. To me the more nikight games or start times of 3-4 would be great for most everyone. Students sleep in, family events can be attended, and everybody is able to get home at a reasonable hour
  3. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

I suggest we revert to the old schedule; start ALL games at 1 PM. Bring back the "Post Game Reception" at the Alumni House sponsored by the W&M Athletic Association.

This will reduce the number of games that are delayed/halted because of rain or thunderstorms which are more prevelant in the late afternoon/early evening hours. There is nothing like sitting in the rain in the dark for a couple of hours if one wants to "dampen" fan enthusiasm and support for the team.
  4. trbefn

trbefn New Member

How about reverting back to the start time of. 2 p.m.rather than 1 ? The early start times does not allow families time for soccer,fall
    baseball, pee wee football, W&M students have demonstrated they do not like games starting at that time, and other events going on at that time of the year .Plus, Williamsburg is not South Florida where it rains in the evenings and there have been night games and the weather was worse during the day than night. We may not see a rainy evening for the next decade, who knows ?
  5. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

I would be OK with a 2 PM start - just as long as there is enough time for a "Post Game Happy Hour" at the Alumni House.
  6. trbefn

trbefn New Member

62 come by QB Club lot, there is a post game happy hourS going on after each game !
  7. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

Many of the game times are at the mercy of television--the NBC Sports Channel and Comcast. If they
    schedule us for seven pm, three thirty, six pm, or twelve noon then that's it.

No way all games now can start at the same time...that era has passed.
  8. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

I like the 3:30 starts at homecoming, TV or not.
  9. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

Let's face it, JMU will get a bunch of tv time leaving the rest of the CAA to hope for a share of remaining crumbs.
  10. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

Thanks for the invite to the QB Club Tailgate fn; but it is not the same experience as the Post Game Happy Hour at the Alumni House used to be [before the Alumni House was established, the Post Game event was held at the old Motor House at the CW Infromation Center].

The QB Club is a great organization and are a great bunch of W&M Football fans but the group [to which I belonged for four or five years] are mostly locals who live in or near Williamsburg forever and have probably not missed a game since they graduated from W&M. The QB Club parking lot is mostly a bunch of private and elaborate tailgate parties - which is really great for those folks.

On the other hand, the Post Game Reception sponsored by the W&M Athletic Association attracted Alums who were in town for a game and who did not have a regular social routine for before and/or after the game. After I graduated from W&M I never lived any closer than 400 miles from Williamsburg, and more often, 600 miles away but I always made it back to at least one game, usually Homecoming, each year. At the Post Game Reception, I could always be sure I would run onto a handfull of friends from my days at W&M. That experience is no longer part of the "Game Day" experience for me.
  11. WM Beancounter

WM Beancounter Moderator

Yeah, because everyone is clamoring to see if they'll beat anyone this year
  12. TribeNomad

TribeNomad New Member

Hard to say what the season holds for JMU. They always can recruit players, but did they underperform with Mickey? It sounds like the new guy is trying to whip the crew in shape. Will that transform the team? Will Vlad Lee live up to the hype? Some guys I know who are JMU fans feel the players were fed up with Mickey last year and just went through the motions during the season. We will see
  13. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

TV time has zippy to do with performance. NBCS, rightfully so, wants viewership. JMU will have 6 televised games even with a lousy 2013 season. UNH, on the other hand, will be lucky to get two.
  14. trbefn

trbefn New Member

y

No doubt Towson to be on NBCS a number of times just because of the Baltimore market size.along with Albany and Stony Brook I expect The Tribe to be on the regional package more this year since I expect us to be a preseason pick to contend . Which could mean some noon time starts, hopefully none at home though.
  15. wanm65

wanm65 New Member

I wonder if the Alumni House expansion could help to bring that back.
  16. 62Indian

62Indian New Member

I believe the demise of the "Post Game Happy Hour" has more to do with the game start times than Alumni House facilities.
  17. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

If you want an great alumni post-game party just walk over to the Greenleafe ot Paul's Deli or the outdoor reataurant after the game..all Tribe fans and lots of good beer. Always was more fun than the rather staid post-game Alumni House gatherings.

By the way, we had five games telecast last season, so I don't know what all this fuss over JMU being on too much is. One was a national telecast on Fox Sports Network (West Virginia game).
  18. WML33T

WML33T Active Member

The clamor for earlier start times is silly imo.

The attendance and atmosphere for late games is far better than it is for the annoying 1:00 starts.
  19. trbefn

trbefn New Member

The demise of Alum post game had more to do with lack of attendance and lack of $$$ generated. It is all about the. $
  20. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

FYI, Athlon has W&M at #15 and 7 CAA teams in the top 25 of their [meaningless] preseason poll.
  21. Tribe14SF

Tribe14SF Active Member

Sporting News has Tribe at #23, and Lindy's has us at #12.
  22. Big Tribe

Big Tribe New Member

A healthy Ortiz, really up in the air at this point-----it is not known by anyone niow if his arm comes back this August---- easily moves this team into the Top Ten and a legitimate challenger for a national championship.

A healthy Mosley--very probable as his spring practice ankle injury was not a permanent injury---gives the team an exciting, multi-talented quarterback (our offensive coordinator calls him "a right-handed Michael Vick") who, if he had to start if Ortiz can't perform at qb, would make things very exciting but, of course,
    would be a redshirt freshman starting quarterback.

The young man reportedly was having academic issues...let us hope he has surmounted these.

Ortiz and Mosley are quality quarterbacks..if they can't play we're back to where we were last season (and the two seasons before that). Lots of very talented players with no quarterback. Winning seven games without a qb--and almost three others for that matter (West Virginia, Towson, and Villanova)--was, in this viewer of many of Laycock's teams, one of Jimmye's best coaching jobs ever.

It will be an interesting August for certain.

These early ratings
  23. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull New Member

This is becoming like Groundhog Day with this talk of Ortiz.

Just curious, how many games has he actually played in and what is our record when he has started?
  24. Rocco

Rocco Active Member

5, and they're 1-4. Ortiz has completed 53% of his passes for his career, which you might not realize because the talk of him here as a mythical figure would make you think he's never missed a pass in his life. It's been almost 2 years since he last took a competitive snap, and I believe it was written he missed spring practice.
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  25. WMTribe90

WMTribe90 New Member

When Rocco eats out he orders all his drinks half empty.
  26. -Tribal-

-Tribal- Active Member

Haha. Truth be told, Paul drinks the front half while Rocco checks in with his Pessimist Society sponsor.
  27. WM Beancounter

WM Beancounter Moderator

Enough with the Ortiz and Mosley dreaming; we've been down this road before, and I don't know why we'd all pin our hopes on guys who may not be playing for us next year. I think we'd all be better off focusing on Brumbaugh and Cluley, and if some other guy shows up ready challenge for the starting role, we'll see what happens.
  28. wanm65

wanm65 New Member

29. Paul B in the Burg

Paul B in the Burg New Member

1- The QB club tailgate lot is only for the very elite, which is why most do not understand it.

2-Do they serve cucumber sandwiches at this alumni post game cheerio happy hour?

3-Ortiz is mythical, because that would go in line with the QB position the last few yrs, as in "Its a myth William and Mary has a qb".

As loaded as the Tribe are on offense, I could go take the friggin snaps and be productive this season.

Once again, if you are not elite, do not venture near the QB club tailgating area, you will be stopped.
  30. wanm65

wanm65 New Member

Paul can you define elite so I will know if I qualify :>)